Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a car hire company in portugal please

(2 Posts)
chickibud Thu 31-Jul-08 23:43:59

I am struggling to find a resonably priced car hire company in Lisbon that will have a car big enough for 2 adults, 1 baby aged 5 months and 2 children aged 6 & 7. They all seem to charge an astronomical fee for the car seats too. Does anyone know if I can take my own on BA? Thx

mysteryfairy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:37:54

Hi - we are a family of five and hired a car from Lisbon airport at easter. I searched on travel supermarket which took me to opodo and I booked through opodo a car with auto europe which was ultimately supplied by Guerin. It was a ford focus estate and cost us £150 for an eleven day rental.

There was only just enough room for our luggage - if we'd needed a pushchair it would definitely have had to be an umbrella type one. My DD is six and the only one of my children still to need a car seat. We took a polystyrene booster (i.e. light) in our hold luggage. If all three of yours are still in car seats you might have to consider one adult sitting in the back.

The benefit our booking booking being made with Opodo was that they allowed us to buy insurance for the excess (about 1600 eur) really cheaply (less than £10). Guerin tried to charge me over another 150eur at the airport for excess insurance and when I didn't take it reserved the full amount on my credit card. However searching on any of moneysupermarket, opodo or auto europe should bring you up medium/large cars for less than £200 a week.

We got to Lisbon on Maundy Thursday and frustratingly had to queue for over 2 hours to collect the car. The desks of more expensive operators like Hertz and Avis were dead. I would really recommend that one of you waits for the luggage whilst the other one rushes through to pick up your car. Lisbon airport is not that big or busy so nearly everyone in the queue was off our flight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now