Talk

Advanced search

Taking a bottle of EBM on plane

(15 Posts)
babyOcho Thu 31-Jul-08 21:16:30

Does anyone know if there's any restriction in taking a bottle of EBM through airport security?

I only plan on taking 1 bottle, just in case DD is too preoccupied and won't feed. It means I can give her milk on take off in a cup... I am really worried about her ears.

cmotdibbler Fri 01-Aug-08 10:22:42

They'll just ask you to taste it as you go through security. Theres exemptions for baby milk

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:23:29

God I wouldn't bother though. Baby is with you so why faff with EBM?

caribee Fri 01-Aug-08 10:28:12

agree with moony.

babyOcho Fri 01-Aug-08 18:47:10

I am worried that she will be too distracted to feed on take-off, so if we have milk with us we can at least give it to her in a cup (and I wont need to give her water then), so that she swallows and doesnt get pressure in the ears. I really an worried about the whole ear and pressure thing.

ruddynorah Fri 01-Aug-08 18:48:38

why would she be too preoccupied to feed but be ok to drink from the cup? how old is she?

babyOcho Fri 01-Aug-08 19:28:23

She is 4mo. When we are out she very often is too nosey to feed, she wants to see what's going on.

She always takes from the cup because she thinks its a game.

Waswondering Fri 01-Aug-08 19:30:11

If it's less than 100ml, it shouldn't be a problem - you may have to taste it, but have the real thing on tap too!

If you take it frozen then it will probably be ready to consume on takeoff after the heat of the airport etc.

ElvinaFrizzell Fri 01-Aug-08 20:37:59

My DH works in airport security and says it shouldn't be a problem. He says that the rule for bottles (it is the container size which is important rather than the amount of liquid)having to be no more than 100ml is relaxed for baby milk. However as others have said, you will have to taste it so needs to be fairly well thawed by the time you go through security. Hth, DH standing over me as I type grin.

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 20:51:17

think of the logistics of your day. when traveling, when dd was this age, we would have such an early start then the wait in the lounge etc. She was quite exhausted by the time I sat down in the seat on the plane which is comparatively quiet with a constant hum and limited vision of what was going on around, she pretty much fell straight to sleep by takeoff time.

hth

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 20:52:14

with the constant hum (meant to add) of the air conditioning system of the plane...

babyOcho Fri 01-Aug-08 21:41:24

kiskidee - did she ever have problems with cabin pressure on take off and landing?

I was going to take it in a thermos bag thing, but i'll make sure that its liquid when we go thru.... i quite like the taste of my BM, it's v sweet!

kiskidee Fri 01-Aug-08 21:58:27

i remember dd, because we always seemed to have an early start, wanted to bf while sitting on the plane then falling asleep.

then again, remember that if he starts to feel any pain from the air pressure, babies will nurse in order to find comfort so the problem with the ear discomfort should be solved.

jkklpu Fri 01-Aug-08 22:03:45

pressure is worst on landing, by which time your baby is likely to be asleep or exhausted by the whole experience, so much less likely to be nosing about what everyone else is doing
agree that you're adding extra faff to your trip by worrying about taking EBM with you

HolidaysQueen Fri 01-Aug-08 22:15:38

My 3mo DS is a nosy so and so when he's feeding in public, but I had no problem getting him to feed on the plane on take off and landing. As kiskidee said, I think if their ears start hurting then they naturally want to nurse. I just offered and held him in position and he just fed and fed and fed. I imagine your DD may end up being the same so I wouldn't worry too much about the EBM. I have also found that a muslin draped over my shoulder so he can't see anything except boob and muslin keeps him a bit more focused so maybe you could try that. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now