Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So, what is your definite packing list for a holiday?

(42 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 31-Jul-08 13:27:57

I always overpack and take too much, for me and DD. We often bring back things we haven't worn.

So, what is your definite list? Wha do you really need to take and what should you leave behind?

mysonsmummy Thu 31-Jul-08 13:30:07

this will be interesting as im crap too. its just me ans ds and i always take too much.

i never pack shorts skirts/low tops when i go away with just him. being on your own anyway all women think you are after their dh. well they do me anyway!!

bellabelly Thu 31-Jul-08 13:30:43

Passports / e1-11s Sleeved bibs
Ferry / Flight details Baby spoons
Euros Baby plates
Clothes & Undies - M Baby bowls
Clothes & Undies - D Toiletries
Clothes & Undies - T Cotton wool pads
Clothes & Undies - W Baby books
Books - D Playmat
Books -M Camera
Nappy Bag Kitchen roll
Cartons of formula / milkDouble buggy
Baby bottles High chairs
Nappies Flannels
Jars baby food Make-up
Sippy Cups Deodorant – M&D
Pyjamas - D Hairbrushes
Pyjamas - M Toothbrush x 4
Pyjamas – T&W Toothpaste
Travel cots Suncream
2x taggie blankets Sunhats
Baby duvets Babywipes
Baby pillows Milk bibs
Baby blankets Rucksack
Cot toys Non-slip bathmat
2x dummies Swim nappies
2x teething rings Swimming trunks
Nail clippers Swimsuits
Baby medical case Shampoo
Calpol Conditioner
Teething gel Hair straighteners

Just been typing all this into the computer so it's there for next time. Probably some bits are not strictly necessary!

bellabelly Thu 31-Jul-08 13:31:35

My god it looks a much longer list on here than in a nice Word table.

Bink Thu 31-Jul-08 13:49:40

Oh, my favourite subject.
Of course, it always depends (she says darkly) on your personal circs ...

But my list (refined over many years, ds & dd now 9 & 7) goes in chunks like this:

- where we're going, how long for & what the forecast is there

- how we're getting there & what we'll wear/take for transit (ie if car features, dd's anti-sickness travel bands are ESSENTIAL)

- day clothes for kids: start with outfit per day, cut by a third for toddlers, by half for bigger kids (eg I feel summer shorts can be worn for 3 days in a row) but NB special cases: no. of pants should = days of holiday; and no. of socks should EXCEED days of holiday. But precise arrangement depends on indiv family fastidiousness wink

- overnight/washbag section: pjs, slippers if needed, dressing-gowns if needed; toothbrushes, shampoo; basic first aid kit, inc. a sun-related kit & anti-bug stuff

- a section of logistical necessities for me to remember, like local currency, phone charger, passports, sunglasses, extra fold-up luggage bag - as appropriate for the trip

- a section of things to do before leaving home (put a litre of milk in the freezer eg)

- and my own favourite bit: a little section at the end headed "Not Needed This Time" (eg if we're not going abroad I don't delete the "passports" ref - instead I move it down to that section) - so that when I duplicate the list for the next trip all the reminders I might need are sitting down in that section all ready for me to look at.

ipanemagirl Thu 31-Jul-08 13:56:52

A list of a few essentials I always try to remember:

hand cream
tweezers
nail file
rubber gloves (I have sensitive skin)

Activity books and pencil case for dc
this summer he's got a small scrapbook to do his own thing with
disposable camera for ds to take his own photos.
wipes wipes wipes

I sometimes take a little exercise book and keep the briefest of diaries. I tend to write down the very incidental irrelevant amusing things. Usually things that don't get photographed. We still laugh at one of our diaries from a holiday a few years ago. The funniest things are hard to remember.

Powdered hot chocolate

katz Thu 31-Jul-08 18:27:28

So, 10 day's holiday, in Europe, mostly mooching about town square, castles, maybe the zoo and rest of time round the villa and in the pool.

What can I get away with taking for me and 6y DD.

So far for me I have 3 summer dresses and a long white skirt...

Hulababy Thu 31-Jul-08 18:28:07

Ooops, just posted as katz!

bellabelly Thu 31-Jul-08 22:39:18

Arrrgghhh, am doing my packing now and even with list it is still a pain. I hate packing!

Soapbox Thu 31-Jul-08 22:47:13

Here is the list I posted when I had returned from holiday last week!

Hulababy Fri 01-Aug-08 08:43:14

Right, thanks, using that list then - for 10 days in Europe (do have washing machine, etc_:

Me
One pair linen trousers
One pair shorts/3/4 trousers
3 summer dresses
1 summer skirt
3 tops
1 cardi/wrap
2 swimming cossies
one beach cover up
minimal make up
moisteriser
underwear for 10 days
2 pair Birkinstocks
1 pair smart sandals

DD
2 pairs shorts
3 pair 3/4 trousers
5 summer dresses
5 tops
1 cardigan
sandals and Crocs
2 pairs pjs each
2 swimming cossies
underwear for 10 days
hair bobbles/headbands
bedtime teddy

DH
3 shorts
2 long trousers
3 summer shirts
1 t-shirts
3 polo shirts
underwear for 10 days
sweater
2 swim shorts
pumps
Birkinstocks

Other
suncream x2
body cream
Toothbrushes/toothpaste
Shampoo/conditioner/showergel
Deodorant
Hairbrush
Perfume
DS lites (me and DD)
DS charger
2 books each
Camera (plus DDs)
Phone charger
Camera charger
Batteries for DD's charger
Travel guides/road map/phrase book
Contact lenses, inc spares

What do we reckon?

I reckon I will live in my 3 summer dresses mainly, and DD probably same.

katz Fri 01-Aug-08 09:09:33

your up far too early for someone without a child!!!!!!!grin they were up at 6!!!

list looking good might have to copy that!

Hulababy Fri 01-Aug-08 09:11:53

Eeek - really? Did the thunder disturb them? Hope they have been good! What time is your Dh expetcting me this morning? Have text him but not heard back.

Gobbledigook Fri 01-Aug-08 09:13:35

Hula, I very nearly started the same thread.

I want someone to tell me how many t-shirts, how many shorts etc for a 2 week holiday for the kids! Ha ha!

Hulababy Fri 01-Aug-08 09:14:30

It's a nightmare sn't it? I always take too much. But when packing and trying to be good - I am always thinking "what if" and get carried away again!

Fimbo Fri 01-Aug-08 09:15:27

I always take too many shoes

Gobbledigook Fri 01-Aug-08 09:15:54

Hula - I ma taking 4 pairs of birkies - they all match different outfits! Sad or wot?!

Hulababy Fri 01-Aug-08 09:16:59

LOL. Shoes is one area I am okay with. I am not a shoe person, nor a handbag person either. So, hvae a blue pair and a paink pair, then a cream pair of normal sandlas. That should cover everything!

SorenLorensen Fri 01-Aug-08 09:17:31

I saw a Craghopper T-shirt in a shop the other day that said something like,

"When packing for a trip lay out your clothes and money...then remove half the clothes and double the money."

Good advice, I thought grin

I always take too many clothes (for me and the boys) - every single time.

Gobbledigook Fri 01-Aug-08 09:18:06

I'll take too many clothes - we are by the villa all day in and out the pool so will spend 80% of our time in swim suits!

So far for going out at night I have

2 dresses
White jeans
Blue jeans (travelling in those)
Cropped jeans
About 4 tops
4 cardigans

For day I have

2 short skirts (don't do shorts)
About 4 t-shirts/vests
A kaftan, cover up thingy

Do I need more?

Gobbledigook Fri 01-Aug-08 09:19:03

I planned to lay out everything first so I could see what was going in but I'm struggling for time to faff so I've just started filling the suitcases - I'll just carry on adding stuff till they are both full! Ha ha!

2point4kids Fri 01-Aug-08 09:22:42

Anyone got a good list for a week holiday abroad with a 2 year old and a baby?
I have never been away with the children before and have no idea where to start with the packing!!!!
Help! grin

SorenLorensen Fri 01-Aug-08 09:22:48

I think my problem is that we holiday in the UK (spent the first week of the holidays in the Lakes, for example) so I have to take

swimsuits and wellies
T-shirts and fleeces
sun-hats and waterproofs
sun-cream and wooly hats (that's when we're camping!)
and so on and so on...

katz Fri 01-Aug-08 09:22:50

hula - Not sure what woken them, just the excitement i think, doesn't bode too well for the holiday! not sure when DH is expecting you. Get on msn and we can chat i'm at work, working hard obviously!!! actually i'm trying to decide on which new birkenstocks as mine have had it! one pair has no plastic sole left on the bottom!

lilolilmanchester Fri 01-Aug-08 18:09:02

well, we've paid to put 4 cases in the hold and I'm damn well going to fill them!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now