Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in brussels with a child

(20 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 31-Jul-08 10:35:39

Hi - we have one night and most of a day in Brussels in a couple of weeks. Staying in the European Quarter. dd (8) is a good walker. Can anyone recommend things to see that will interest us all? dd likes museums and anything to do with WW2. Also good places to eat please - dd will try anything.

Romy7 Thu 31-Jul-08 10:43:01

there's a good walk to do that takes you round most of the sights - think you pick up the route from the tourist info in the grand place. (mannekin pis etc) and mine used to like the cafe with the stuffed horse for hot chocolate - don't know if it's still there! and you must get ice cream and lots of chocolate, natch. and find the teeny tiny street with a million fish restaurants and walk up and down looking at their amazing displays, and choose one to eat in. think i'm in the right place, but my european cities tend to tend a bit jumbled up from too much local beverage....
i'm sure someone will come up with much better ideas than my rambling - have a lovely time!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 31-Jul-08 11:14:26

Cool thanks!! Fish!! I adore fish, oh and chocolate. I think its going to be the highlight of our holiday! We are doing it on the way back from camping in the alps, ferry goes from dunkerque so it seems ideal.

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:04:47

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:07:40

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:08:59

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:09:00

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 31-Jul-08 12:16:59

fantastic! thanks belgianbun
I'd had the Bleu de Tois recommended to me but wasn't quite sure about it.
Cartoon museum sounds great.
I think dd might be really intrigued by the Roi d'Espagne. She also loves couscous

Good reminder about handbag - will pack my secret bum bag.

We are staying in the Renaissance hotel - got a room for a silly price (99E) with breakfast included.

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:22:29

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 31-Jul-08 12:41:23

thats the one - just not quite sure about going out for a nice meal and eating baked potatoes grin

corblimeymadam Thu 31-Jul-08 12:52:54

Message withdrawn

arfishy Thu 31-Jul-08 13:06:57

Whatever you do don't order the 'Steak Americain' - you will end up with raw mince with a raw egg on top and because you told everybody you speak French you will have to pretend you actually wanted it and eat it.

You will then get horrendous food poisoning and think you are going to die.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 31-Jul-08 13:22:33

lol arfishy!!! will remember that. must review my french food phrases.

dd is desperate to try snails hmm can't see whats wrong with the ones in our garden. Shes told me that she is either going to have french onion soup or snails every night and if she is really hungry she will have both lol!!! have told her she can have them once as a special treat.
odd child.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 01-Aug-08 15:44:26

www.opt.be/informations/tourist_attractions_bruxelles__museum_of_natural_science/en/V/15707.html

Museum of Natural Sciences in Brussels is worth a visit and makes for a nice trip out. Information is shown on this weblink.

Chez Leon in the Rue de Bouchers is worth a visit and is child friendly too. They do a good plate of moules frites. No snails though.

Wittamer on the Grand Sablon sell the best chocolate bar none in Brussels and serve nice food as well.

(Snails from the garden are not good to eat as they can eat poisonous plants with impunity).

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 01-Aug-08 16:03:48

thanks attila I'm going to print all this off. the thought of all this is making me really hungry - I'm going to be a very large lady by the time I get back home.

Romy7 Fri 01-Aug-08 17:37:09

ah, now. i know a good snails restaurant in maastricht....

ah, yes, Le Roi d'Espagne... many hours spent there smile... they do good beer too wink

belgianbun - what is that really weird bar where it's all glass topped coffins and skulls? not that i'm suggesting the OP takes her dd there, but just want to know which one to avoid if i go back....

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 01-Aug-08 18:19:19

blimey - glass topped coffins and skulls!! I'm all for exposing dd to new experiences but.... grin

corblimeymadam Fri 01-Aug-08 19:51:55

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Fri 01-Aug-08 20:01:08

Message withdrawn

arfishy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:33:31

Oooh these all sound lovely (apart from the coffin place hmm).

Have a lovely trip badkitten, snail are delicious btw, I love your adventurous DD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now