Talk

Advanced search

Oslo and SAS airlines - help please?!

(19 Posts)
bettybeetroot Wed 30-Jul-08 11:00:47

Hi, I am going to Oslo this weekend for just under a week with a 5 yr old and an 18 mnth old. Can anyone tell me what I can do with the lo's (on my own as dh will be working during the day) any tips will be really appreciated. Can anyone also recommend some good family friendly resturants? Also I am flying with SAS who I have not flown with before. Their webite says you have to check buggies in - I wondered if anyone has flown with them before has been able to take the buggy to the gate? Thank you!!

aznerak Wed 30-Jul-08 11:40:06

I can't remember re buggies but one thing to note it that the airport in Oslo is enormous and sometimes the trek from check-in to gate is over 1km!

However, their luggage trolleys are brill as they have supermarket trolley style seats for little ones

Hope that helps

bettybeetroot Wed 30-Jul-08 12:22:44

thanks, good to know about the trolleys as i will be travelling out on my own but with dh on way back so will ok on that journey. i can't carry ds far and if we walked 1km at his pace it would take at least an hour! (or actually never as he will always go in the opposite direction!)

anyone else with Oslo advice please?

bettybeetroot Wed 30-Jul-08 20:16:25

bump

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 20:28:53

Hi,
I fly through Oslo a few times per year.

On the OUTBOUND journey:
If you have an umbrella fold pushchair, you can check it in, take it to the gate and ask if you can bring it on the plane with you. They will often comply if you ask nicely.

It IS a long walk on the other side. And the luggage trollies with seats that aznerak mentions are normally not found where you disembark the plane in Oslo.

Try and get a seat so far at the front of the plane as possible, as the wait at passport control can be excrutiating, better get there quickly.

On your RETURN to the UK:
Check in your pushchair to its final destination. The trollies are found just after security.

I am not too familiar with Oslo. I havent been there with children for over 3 years. Family friendly restaurants? I did not actually find that many.... Most wont let you take your buggy in. If you see a restaurant/cafe/coffeeshop with lots of buggies parked outside you can be sure it is family friendly! Seriously. It means parents take their kids there!

Peppes Pizza does the best pizza in the world. They do childrens menues where the child gets a pizza, a juice, a balloon, and a dvd to take home. They often have play areas. They are quite "upmarket".

Akershus Festning, Vigelands Parken, The Edward Munch Museum, Aker Brygge (the pier),The Viking Museum, National Galleriet are places of interest.

And if everything else fails, feed your children waffles with jam. grin

Hopefully somebody else will be around to advice you further.

Have a great trip!

cthea Wed 30-Jul-08 20:37:27

Have a great time, Oslo is beautiful. We went to Stavanger a few years back and took a plane to Oslo for a night. It's excruciatingly expensive, the most affordable and value-for-money place we could find was TGI Fridays!

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 20:45:32

It's been a while since i was in Oslo but worked there for a while. Was pre-kids so was more interested in the bars etc.

I second vigelands parken for a good run around and the sculptures.
And the viking ships are good too.

I went to a little childrens art gallery where artwork was displayed all over this little house and there were children drawing and painting and doing music.
I'll see if i can find a link.

I think i remember taking a tram journey up the mountain out of oslo to the ski jump. That might be fun with kids.

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 20:47:15

Here it is Barnekunst
It had a great atmosphere.
Glad to see it's still going.

bettybeetroot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:28:42

Thanks for all of your recommendations! The children's gallery looks great - perfect for my dd who does nothing but draw at the moment. I am taking my laptop with me so will have all of this info to hand! My dh is already in olso and is spending a fortune eating out every night (and he's there for the next 6 mnths shock )

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 21:34:59

visitoslo you can enter the dates you are there to see what's happening.

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 21:38:35

follow fred the giraffe at the nobel peace centre looks interesting.

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 21:46:27

Dragonbutter, I did not realize you actually LIVED in Norway some time! So you must speak/read norwegian too, then! grin

Lastyearsmodel Wed 30-Jul-08 21:53:09

Vigelands Park amazing, lots of sculpture to climb on. Skiing Museum with ski jump is v good - is a short train ride out of the city and my kiddos always love trains. Trams were excellent too. Was in Oslo when pregnant with first - prepare to feel very, very poor - I remember looking at beautiful babygros and working out they'd cost me £60!

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 21:58:39

test me!
(i do better with medical language wink)

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:24

Hm...

Test.
Kjoler for alle sommerens anledninger. Langt eller kort i 7 ulike modeller.
I sommerens trender ser vi svale naturmaterialer i varme farger.

Sorry, all I had to inspire me is a mail order catalogue...

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 22:07:23

long or short in 7 ...styles?
summer trend ...natural materials in warm..colours?

oh dear.
it's been a while.

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 22:12:24

Good girl. It is about dresses for summer.

Dragonbutter Wed 30-Jul-08 22:16:30

i'm such a geek.
i enjoyed that.

so are you norwegian, now living there having lived in UK?

QuintessentialShadows Thu 31-Jul-08 09:47:57

Yes, thats right, I moved back here aftr 15 years in London...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now