Talk

Advanced search

Can you park on the outskirts of Paris and get the metro in?

(30 Posts)
PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 21:13:17

If so where is the best place to park if you are coming from the eastern side of Paris.

We are staying near Chateau-Thierry, so would be coming from the A4.

TIA

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 21:26:27

The RER stations should have carparks.

We are staying in Paris for a few days by the Arc de Triomphe and are planning on using a nearby carpark. We will have to remove our roofbox though as all the ceiling heights are too low.

PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 21:29:23

Have you prebooked a parking space? Or taking pot luck? Is it 'easy' to find parking on the outskirts of PAris?

Anna8888 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:32:06

The car parks are all empty in August, with everyone on holiday - just drive right in to Paris.

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 21:35:58

Pot luck - there are loads of them, and we will be arriving when they should be emptying. Plus, as Anna says, Paris is on holiday from this weekend.

PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 21:58:35

Really? Can it really be that easy?

And how would you know which is the best one to park at?

And is it expenive to park in the centre?

Thanks - you are being very helpful!

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 22:13:36

I must have spent whole day at the weekend researching this...

This is based on googling and not actual experience (disclaimer).

There are loads of parking garages. I came across a site where you typed in the address and it gave you everything within 400m - for our hotel, there were about 20 hits.

I came across a magazine article from a couple of years ago where it said that parking was going to be free for the month of August in most car parks, and reduced cost in others. Couldn't find any info about this year, but we live in hope. As for the standard price, it looked like about 20E for 24 hours.

Celia2 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:40:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 22:43:37

I've been googling, and most sites say don't drive into the centre of Paris whatever you do!!!!

PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 22:44:05

We are going on Saturday.

Celia2 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:45:51

Celia2 Tue 29-Jul-08 22:52:43

PanicPants Tue 29-Jul-08 22:57:03

Fab thank you!

Do you still think we should buy a Paris Carte from a tabac just in case? And if we do have to pay in a covered car park, will they except euros or will we have to use the Paris Carte there too?

(Honestly - Brittany is soooooooo much easier!)

Celia2 Tue 29-Jul-08 23:15:26

Celia2 Tue 29-Jul-08 23:17:36

Anna8888 Wed 30-Jul-08 07:53:45

If you park in a car park run by Vinci (and most of the car parks in central Paris are run by Vinci) your car will be totally safe and you can pay by credit card. There are so many car parks in central Paris that it is hard to indicate one. Try the one on the place de la Concorde (entrance just after the Hôtel Crillon) if you like - it's always empty on a Saturday (voice of experience smile).

Celia2 Wed 30-Jul-08 11:47:51

SqueakyPop Wed 30-Jul-08 11:49:30

..and are the (free) meters restricted in how long you can park?

If so, would it be advisable to park a MPV with roofbox over a weekend in Paris 15?

cornsilk Wed 30-Jul-08 12:00:32

Anna why is Paris empty in August? Does this go for the rest of France? What about Normandy?

SqueakyPop Wed 30-Jul-08 12:16:02

The resorts in Normandy get fairly busy - Deauville, Trouville, etc., especially around the Assumption holiday (15 August).

Rural Normandy is still fairly sleepy.

HonoriaGlossop Wed 30-Jul-08 12:54:24

oh I LOVE Paris

<sigh>

Maybe we ought to look into going in August if it's so quiet!

Marina Wed 30-Jul-08 12:56:29

Many family businesses in big cities close for that period though Honoria, so that they can all go to the seaside
Our favourite place in Lille is closed for the whole of the month apparently.
Had totally forgotten about the Assumption, thank goodness that weekend is the middle one for us

TheFallenMadonna Wed 30-Jul-08 13:01:56

Ah! The feast of the Assumption! Was trying to book somewhere for 16th. It all becomes clear...

Anna8888 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:37:51

The street parking is generally free - though you need to be a little careful in very central areas. But that doesn't mean there will be lots of parking available as there is very enthusiastic take-up by residents of free parking smile.

Paris is empty in August (for the first three weeks at least) because everyone is on holiday. All the shops have shut up now around me and nothing is going on sad. I wouldn't normally be here to see it but my MOL was diagnosed with cancer last week so our holiday has been cancelled so we can be with her...

Anna8888 Wed 30-Jul-08 20:39:04

I wouldn't leave a car with visible luggage or a roofbox on the street here overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now