Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Little toys to keep ds (2) amused on plane journey

(33 Posts)
Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:11:53

I went out to the shops today to try and find several little toys that I could wrap for ds to play with on the plane and hopefully keep amused along with books. Came back empty handed. There is nothing that either doesn't make a noise, or a mess which will p... off other passengers. Has anyone got any ideas?

Mum2girls Wed 09-Feb-05 15:15:52

Finger puppets, crayons and paper - toddler scissors and some scrap paper keep my DD2 going for ages. ToysRUs do some neat very little books - 5 that fit into a box about animals that DD2 loved when we took her on a plane.

I also made sure mine were hungry and that I had food with me for them - a drawn out meal can eat up (!) half an hour or more.

Waswondering Wed 09-Feb-05 15:17:36

The window blind on the plane, the seat back tray, the jigsaw the cabin crew give him . . . on our way back from holiday we didn't really go into "his" backpack as he was amused by the gadgets.

Overhead lights are also great fun to 'blow' out . . .

Kayleigh Wed 09-Feb-05 15:18:19

You can buy the reusable sticker type things (someone help me out here !). Do you know what I mean ??
You get a story background and loads of stickers. You can then place the stickers as many times as you want making different scenes. Reckon a two year old could do them with a bit of help from mum.

nailpolish Wed 09-Feb-05 15:20:57

these are great

and they have all sizes

lots of other wee things too

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 15:22:45

We took DD on a 10 hour flight last summer, aged about 26 months.

* Little story books
* Wax crayons and notebook/little colouring book (pencil crayons need sharpening!)
* Mini jigsaw (actually got it on a children's magazine)
* little toy car
* little dolly
* sticker books

grumpyfrumpy Wed 09-Feb-05 15:24:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 15:25:50

Poundland and Home Bargains do some nic elittle toys. We got DD a little train set (push along) with train, carriage and track - cost 99p - and it just fir nicely on the tray. We also got a little box of bricks too.

I will keep thinking.

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:26:25

Thanks for all those ideas - like the etch a sketch thing and the idea of the pop up garage in particular

Hulababy Wed 09-Feb-05 15:27:08

Yes - Woolworths for the mini etch a sketch thing.

grumpyfrumpy Wed 09-Feb-05 15:27:51

Hausfrau Wed 09-Feb-05 15:28:39

Hausfrau Wed 09-Feb-05 15:30:20

binkie Wed 09-Feb-05 15:31:47

Someone mentioned stacks of baby wipes - both for obvious uses and also just for pretend cleaning windows, trays, seat backs, mummy etc.

The thing we found longest lasting on journeys is those horrible stretchy yellow smiley men - I think because you can take a bit of frustration out on them. You can get lizards and so on which are slightly less horrible.

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:36:17

Binkie - what horrible yellow stretchy men? or lizards? Haven't come across these but they sound revoltingly good..

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:36:18

Binkie - what horrible yellow stretchy men? or lizards? Haven't come across these but they sound revoltingly good..

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:36:51

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:37:18

oops - sorry about repeat posts! pc up the creek!

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:37:46

we got an ELC walkman thingy so that DD could listen to songs

Sari Wed 09-Feb-05 15:42:14

Ds2 (2.5) will listen to a walkman with nursery rhymes and stories for ages. Otherwise we take pretty much what everyone else has mentioned - etchasketch definitely good idea, stretchy lizards and dinosaurs, sticker books, some pens, lots of books.

binkie Wed 09-Feb-05 15:42:55

Here are some stretchy lizards

For some reason, Paperchase the posh stationers have lots of these sorts of thing - enormous stretchy jewels being one oddity among others.

Skribble Wed 09-Feb-05 15:48:43

Transfered this here as there seems to be a duplicate.

Thats difficult lots of great toys but with bits to drop everywhere.

Perhaps a small bead frame, don't know how long it would hold interest.
A cube type jigsaw you used to get one with platic cubes that fitted into a tray and had individual pitures on somesides and a big picture to make up on the others.
If you take any toys with "bits" make sure they are big enough to find easily under seats. Nothing round as it will roll away never to be seen again. I suppose at 2yrs you waon't have small bits anyway.
Shame you can't get headphones for those noisy toys.

How long will the flight be and are there seat back tv's.

Mine are 5 and 8 and were easy to amuse with drawing stuff and DVD's to watch on DH's laptop.

Head for ELC and refuse to leave until they come up with some ideas .

Skribble Wed 09-Feb-05 15:53:00

Oh I sell the stretchy men and aliens and I had really yucky bugs and things that you can stick on the window and p#@s off the stewardess. Get them at Hawkins Bazaar.

I wouldn't recommed them for under three's though but I suppose if they have stopped chewing everything they would be ok.

Bradsmum Wed 09-Feb-05 15:54:43

Binkie - thanks for that link to stretchy lizards - will get some pronto! Looks a v useful site.

bundle Wed 09-Feb-05 15:56:29

fuzzy felt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now