Talk

Advanced search

Baby Car Seat Question

(3 Posts)
MonicaG Mon 28-Jul-08 19:54:46

Hi,

A relative of mine has recently sold me her baby car seat. It's a Graco and it's about 12 months old. It's been used about 3 times because the baby was her daughters and they only used it when she came to visit.

The car seat looks as good as new but I am concerned about a few things and would like some advice.

1. There is no head support in the chair. No idea where it's gone but I know if I bought it new, it would be included. If I used this seat, i'd buy one but if it's not from the manufacturer, is it safe?

2. My relative washed the car seat before she sold it to me. As a result, i'm SURE the canvas of the chair has shrunk because without a child in the seat, the canvas is pulled tight and sits about 2cm away from the polysyrene/plastic base. Tonight I saw a new one and i'm sure it's shrunk.

I know people say you should never buy a second hand car seat but I do know this history of this one. The question is, should I use it? Are these minor problems a reason to bin it and buy another?

Please help.
Thanks
Monica

busymum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 21:18:34

Think I have spare cover upstairs will have a look not sure about head hugger if not you can buy one in many shops know toys r us sell them aslong as you are 100%confident car seat history is true, and never been dropped or in a crash I would imagine it would be fine but ultimately your decision if in doubt don't use it!

DontNeedAnything Mon 28-Jul-08 21:22:35

I think I would be happy with the history as you describe it, and given it has come from within the family.

Re the head hugger....We brough seperate ones with DTDs car seat 7yrs ago as it was not supplied. It was fine.

Re the seat covers....I have always found that they appear to be snug after a wash and as you say they do not seem to touch the base. After a couple of uses though they seem to stretch. Try sticking a bag of potatoes in it for a couple of weeks. I am sure it will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now