Talk

Advanced search

Egypt - do I need any vaccinations?

(9 Posts)
posyhairdresser Wed 09-Feb-05 10:22:09

We are going to Egypt in 2 weeks time - does anyone know if we need vaccinations?

I have only just thought about this so I am worried I have left it all a bit late!

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 10:31:04

yes you do. you will need diptheria, tetanus and polio ( if you haven't had them in last 10 yrs) , hepatitis A and typhoid.this website will tell you all thats needed. have your jabs asap though to try to ensure you are covered by the time you go!!this website

grumpyfrumpy Wed 09-Feb-05 10:36:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 10:40:26

all those injections are free you may need malaria tabs which you would have to buy but only if you are going to the El-faiyum area which is central egypt and not normally a tourist area.

posyhairdresser Wed 09-Feb-05 10:51:17

That's really helpful, thanks so much for the advice although I am having trouble with the link!
I will phone my surgery today!

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 10:55:37

only just got hang of links!! the address is www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk

Beetroot Wed 09-Feb-05 11:16:25

Message withdrawn

Chuffed Wed 09-Feb-05 12:15:17

I think it depends on where in Egypt you are going as certain areas have a higher risk for certain things. We went to the Red Sea with dd (then 5mth) and none of us had anything extra.

Gwenick Wed 09-Feb-05 12:17:27

Don't rely on your jabs being free if you need them specifically for travelling - I need an extra hib, polio etc booster when I went to Zim and I had to pay because it wasn't 'nessecary'....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now