Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been allowed to travel on Easyjet without a passport for the DC? Please help!!

(51 Posts)
misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:10:37

We are due to take DS to visit my mum who lives half the time in Holland. It's our first visit and he's really excited. I've been horrendously busy at work and haven't thought about packing yet. This morning in the shower I realised that his passport has expired - we got it when he was a baby and he's now 6. Passport office can't help, but when I asked if there's any way we'd be able to travel without it, she said 'it's up to the airline'. When probed, she was very non-committal.

DH and I both have passports, we have DS's passport expired Sept 07 and his birth certificate. What do you think?

DS will be devastated. I'm feeling incredibly guilty and upset - been crying all morning at the thought of how disappointed everyone's going to be.

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 10:11:51

Unlikely I'm afraid. When are you due to go ?

Fadge Mon 28-Jul-08 10:12:09

I doubt they would let you on. Can you not get to a passport office and do it directly? When are you due to travel?

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:16:29

Tomorrow afternoon! I know, it's a catastrophe. DH is planning to camp out at Liverpool passport office (not too far from us) but they've made it really clear that they won't see you without an appointment, and there's no appointments. The best they can offer is tomorrow morning in London!!

We've had photos done anyway just in case a cancellation comes up.

I'm so upset. I can't believe I let this happen. sad

TigerFeet Mon 28-Jul-08 10:17:18

I would ring Easyjet and find out from them but I doubt you'll be allowed to fly. Why won't the passport office help? It was my understanding that if you present yourself at a passport office and are prepared to wait you can get your passport back in a day.

SqueakyPop Mon 28-Jul-08 10:17:41

You can go to the passport office and get a passport the same day.

I am about to leave to get a renewal for my DS.

electricluluarella Mon 28-Jul-08 10:18:00

i would not take the risk. if you ever watch 'airline' they never let people travel with expired or no passport

can you change your flights?

so sorry.

TigerFeet Mon 28-Jul-08 10:18:21

Sorry cross posted... have you spoken to anyone at Easyjet?

SqueakyPop Mon 28-Jul-08 10:18:58

You have to have an appointment, TF

mazzystar Mon 28-Jul-08 10:20:48

are you sure about the appointments?

i got the dcs passports sorted v quickly - just showed up at liverpool - bit of a wait - but done the same day - costs extra, if its that or no trip maybe worth it. i thought the service was absolutely brill tbh

electricluluarella Mon 28-Jul-08 10:20:56

also, if you do get an appointemtn, same day service is a fortune. be prepared!

check website re passport office rules re appointment

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:26:12

No appointments available. Just got through to Easyjet - they've said no.

It's going to take 2 weeks now to get a passport, but DH travels a lot with work so may not even be able to make time now. We've had this booked in for months so he could keep the dates 'sacred'.

First words out of DS's mouth this morning were "are we going on the plane today?".

I'm at work now and he's with my sister for the day so I'll have to tell him tonight.

And my mum will be devastated too - she's been planning this for months.

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 10:27:08

can't you postpone the flight by a day and get an appointment tomorrow ?

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:28:24

mazzystar - how long ago did you do this at Liverpool? They've been adamant on the phone that you won't be seen without an appointment.

And they were on strike last week so have a backlog.

DH is planning to go up there anyway. I know it will cost a fortune - probably more than the flights - but I'd do anything not to let DS down now.

MsDemeanor Mon 28-Jul-08 10:29:20

I'd go to the passport office and wait. Make sure you have all your documentation including the forms and get the photos signed and witnessed. It really is your only hope. If he's with your sister today can't you go or are you at work?

electricluluarella Mon 28-Jul-08 10:30:30

we had to get DH a new passport and had to make appointment at liverpool. 2 years ago i think, we had about a week though to get it sorted.

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:31:12

Next appointment available is 2 weeks, or on Friday about 150 miles away. We're due to come back Saturday morning anyway, so we may as well postpone the whole thing properly now.

TigerFeet Mon 28-Jul-08 10:31:42

If you go to the passport office and wait you might get a cancellation... fingers crossed for you.

MeMySonAndI Mon 28-Jul-08 10:33:12

Last trip I forgot to check... the passpott was valid in the way out but not in the way in. THe airline didn't realise but... they really gave me a bad time in the airport in the way back, forget about proving it was him (they could appreciate that through his other passport), they really didn't want to let him in, even when his other passport doesn't require a visa to enter the UK. It was all about red tape.

Having said that... I have travelled to Sweden on an expired passport, just with a Spanish ID document for foreigners which is normally not enough to be used as a passport. The airline was not sure about it (with good reason as it is not suposed to be used for that purpose!) but let me in if I agreed to take responsibility (£) if I was not allowed into the country. The swedish migration counter was unbelievable, they laughed a bit at my story of why my passport was expired (H took my old expired passport rather than the new one), and let me in on the grounds that their boss had "decided to be a nice person today".

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:34:00

Thanks everyone for your advice. Looks like I'm not going to travel without a passport, so we may as well postpone the whole thing now.

Shit.

I've seen it on the TV so many times. I know it's a cliche but I never thought I would do this.

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:35:57

And DH is going to bang on the door of Liverpool Passport Office anyway, just in case. He got photos done this morning.

Hoo Mon 28-Jul-08 10:35:58

Actually, dh counldn't find his passport when going to France and EasyJet let him travel on his works ID card! Have you tried ringing and asking (making a note of names etc if they say yes!)?

misselizabethbennett Mon 28-Jul-08 10:38:25

I've called Easyjet - they said no. I wouldn't even attempt this unless Easyjet had told me I could - I couldn't bear DS's disappointment if we were actually at the airport and then turned away.

Fadge Mon 28-Jul-08 10:38:52

Even if they do let you out ( rare!) you have to also think about the other end, will they do the same?? Could be stranded...

wheresthehamster Mon 28-Jul-08 10:40:05

Have you tried this number?

Looks helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now