Talk

Advanced search

Like Kinderhotel but in USA?

(13 Posts)
Kif Sat 26-Jul-08 11:38:53

We think we might like (need) a recuperative 'special' family holiday.

It would be a last minute thing, assuming certain other things went our way, end of August.

Currently thinking USA or swiss/austrian alps. This is because we're looking for good service, reliable infrastructure/hygiene etc , somewhere with a 'top of the world' feeling with soul-restoring scenery.

It needs to be child/toddler friendly - ideally with interconnecting rooms and adventure playgrounds - but don't need childcare.

Don't want anything too demanding - so Disney is out.

In Europe - Kinderhotel looks about right, but I don't know USA well enough to know what their version of that is.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 11:54:35

I don't think there's anywhere specific in the US for that.

In France, Pierre et Vacances is a good resort option, and you can have good scenery there ...

Kif Sat 26-Jul-08 16:37:35

Really?

I though I was just not looking hard enough.. I would have thought USA would be full of 'packaged' family friendly places like that...

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 17:34:54

No, not really. Not in hotels, anyway, as far as I know. People stay in motels, they normally have pools etc.

I think Four Seasons hotels are pretty nice for this sort of thing, to be fair. Pricey, though.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 17:35:56

You know what, I would go for Atlantic Canada. There was a nice-looking resort inside Cape Breton Highlands National Park ...

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 17:36:27

Here is a list of family-friendly resorts.

Kif Sat 26-Jul-08 18:29:35

Thanks for those tips, NQC!

SqueakyPop Sat 26-Jul-08 18:39:45

We were in the mountains in the US last year. The children were at 'camp' all day, and the site had every amenity that you could imagine.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Jul-08 19:38:58

I'm sure there are loads of family-friendly US ones, just not one big chain like Kinder.

I can't see any particular great resort in Cape Breton Island, but Eastern Canada is lovely, cheap, not-too-hot, and has great food. Lobster is cheap enough that McDonalds do a McLobster sandwich.

annasmami Mon 28-Jul-08 17:47:17

We've just come back from a week at a Kinderhotel in the Austrian mountains and found the level of service, the quality of food, the childcare and the outdoor/indoor activities on offer to be superb. Beautiful scenery. Very good value for money too considering that all meals, drinks, childcare, wellness area and activities/classes are included in the price.
Certainly much better than any of the French Pierre et Vacances resorts which are much more 'basic'. And you have to pay for all extras...

Kif Mon 28-Jul-08 18:21:57

annasmami - which one were you at?

The kinderhotels offer so much inclusive childcare ... are they still nice hotels and good value for money if you don't want to use the childcare?

annasmami Tue 29-Jul-08 19:06:11

We've just been at the Wellness & Sport Hotel Alpina in St Johann (Austria). Last year we went to the Alpenrose in Lermoos and friends of ours have been (and liked) the Krallerhof in Leogang.

The hotels do offer great facilities for children (kids club, kids restaurant/menus, buggies etc), but the facilities for adults are just as good, im my experience. The food is excellent, with a huge breakfast buffet in the mornings, lunch/cakes in afternoon and a very good, changing evening dinner (often in buffet form). The wellness area of the Alpina was great - different types of saunas, steam rooms etc. There was also an adult 'sports' programme, with nordic walking, hiking, aerobics, yoga etc on offer. All of this are free i.e. included in the price.

When were you thinking of going? The best time for a summer holiday there would probably be around July/August as it might get cool during the autumn - although if you like hiking/cycling etc you might like the slightly cooler weather.

Lapsedrunner Wed 30-Jul-08 08:02:09

I have stayed at these 2 in Austria and would go back www.galtenberg.com and www.unterschwarzach.at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now