Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is there anywhere nice to holiday around Calais?

(12 Posts)
Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 20:45:37

Tia

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 20:50:44

Wimereux is a nice little resort, Le Touquet too.
Hardelot is sand dunes and golfing country
Further down the coast is Berck-sur-Mer with the Bagatelle amusement park and the Aqualud tropical swimming pool.
We've done short breaks in the area several times and IMO it is massively underrated as a holiday destination. Plenty there to keep you occupied for a fortnight!
Inland, the Sept Vallees is very pretty, you can visit the excellent new museum at Azincourt...
The best book to research destinations is the Cadogan Guide to Short Breaks in Northern France. There are plenty of gites and other self-catering properties locally.

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 20:57:20

Thank you so much Marina. France is all new to me, I couldn't even figure out which region Calais was in. Will definately get the Cadogan Guide from the library - in fact I will go and order it right now.

Thank you again.

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 21:04:02

I think othersideofthechannel lives near there - if she is around she might have some local ideas
If you are just doing a short break there are two fantastic ferme-auberges in the same village outside Boulogne, Wierre-Effroy - La Raterie and the Ferme du Vert
They would be rather £££ for a proper holiday though
There is a Pierre et Vacances apartment complex along that coast too, quite a smart new one I believe

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 24-Jul-08 21:04:25

You would not holiday in it, but the market in Sant Omer on a Saturday is wonderful.

It is Pas-de-Calais.

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 21:06:43

We went to that market one sparkling December morning bree, when ds was just two
An unforgettably fun weekend (not said tongue in cheek either wink)
Leeks the size of telegraph poles, still covered in the local black earth...the delicious local beers, gaufres...

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 21:08:04

Ah ha you have just settled an argument LGJ. I told dh it was Pas de Calais and he said it wasn't. Pity he's at work and I can't rub his nose in it!!

Thank you both for your suggestions.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 24-Jul-08 21:11:18

Well.............. it may not be Pas-de-Calais. she lies in order to maintain marital harmony.grin

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 21:12:05

I think St Omer is just over the border in le Nord, actually. But it is a close-run thing grin

Marina Thu 24-Jul-08 21:13:24

noooooo it has a 62 postcode, it is P-de-C!

It also has the river Aa, if you please

Blu Thu 24-Jul-08 21:20:29

Wisant, or Wissant hs a lovely beach, just along from Wimeraux. All most charming - imagine Famous 5 go To France..it all seems quite quain and Enid Blyton to me. The aquariam, Nausicca, at boulogne is absolutely brillian, much better than any in this country, the castle in Boulogne has good ramparts to walk around, some nice places to walk to, various short cliff top walks - it's all lovely. Perhaps not as differnt from England or glamorous as other regions of France. My experience of it (and the rest of france is nowhere near as detailed as Marina's, but I enjoyed a week there.

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 21:22:23

Thank you Blu. I am going to print this thread off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now