Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone booked through Megatrain.com? Seems too good to be true!

(7 Posts)
Haylstones Thu 24-Jul-08 14:19:26

We've been trying to book 3 tickets from Glasgow to Birmingham for a few weeks- we keep checking to see if prices have gone down but they haven't and the ticket price was stuck at £138. This included a family rail card as well and as the outward journey was only £40 we were looking for alternatives and found tickets through Megatrain.com for £6 each shock. Best of all, it's exactly the same train and times as the £138 one shock
The only issue I can find is that they don't issue tickets, just a reference number that you print off and produce on the train. I also dont think you can reserve seats but as we're getting on at the start of the journey we should be ok.
Is there a catch to this or has anyone else used it successfully? I have an image of the ticket collector refusing to accept a reference number and having to pay full price on the day!

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 24-Jul-08 14:21:02

I would be tempte to do a google search on megatrain to see if there are any reviews on watchdog type sites
does sound like a fantastic offer if it is real smile

Haylstones Thu 24-Jul-08 14:24:40

2 reviews I found on Google were very positive
travel.ciao.co.uk/megatrain_com__Review_5686925
I have booked it, just hope there isn't a catch! It's operated by Stagecoach who also run Megabus, which is widely known (I think) so surely there shouldn't be any snags? [hopeful]

Haylstones Thu 24-Jul-08 19:01:19

Quick bump to see if there are any hands-on reports

sophierosie Thu 24-Jul-08 19:02:55

I haven't used it - but I remember an article in the guardian travel section a few months back rating it quite highly - they may still have the article on their website.

Aimsmum Thu 24-Jul-08 19:04:04

Message withdrawn

Haylstones Thu 24-Jul-08 19:24:59

Brilliant, thanks. I will have a look for the Guardian article. Strictly speaking we should have only paid £12 as both dc are under 5 but we didn't want to risk not having a seat for at least one of them so bought 3!
Bargain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now