Talk

Advanced search

anyone use stevenage train station?

(9 Posts)
futurity Wed 23-Jul-08 17:47:23

Going to London on Friday and not actually been to London in the week for a very long time (normally go at weekends). Anyway, was wondering whether someone on mumsnet who uses stevenage train station could tell me what the car parking situation is like during the week as our local station (Royston) is a complete nightmare and you can't park there at all!

a long shot i know but thought I would give it a go!

futurity Wed 23-Jul-08 19:01:08

early evening bump

boudoiricca Wed 23-Jul-08 19:05:01

My parents live there and my Dad used to commute to London every day. The official car parks get very full AND are very expensive. BUT... on the opposite side of the tracks is the parking for the Leisure centre (or something - dreadful mall place). Officially commuters cannot leave cars there, but if you do it as a one off and leave your car away from the tracks near a restaurant I doubt v much they'll know. There's tonnes of space - and it's free!

futurity Wed 23-Jul-08 19:26:57

thanks for your reply. We've been to the leisure park before so know what you mean but are wary of doing this because of all the signs they have up about no unauthorised parking...we'd be worrying too much we'd be clamped!

Its mad..there is a big thing about encouraging people to use public transport and we are trying to but not being able to get to/park at the station is making us actually consider driving! (we are going to the Motor Show!)

SpecialOffer Wed 23-Jul-08 19:31:34

I would park in the long stay car park on the outside, you can pick your car up at any time. Its the one where you walk through Woolworths to get to the centre, about a 5-10 min walk. There are always spaces.

The ones nr the station, even the leisure centre all full during the week by about 8am. I work in the town centre!!

futurity Wed 23-Jul-08 19:54:32

thanks for that...DH likes that idea although we are not sure where the car park is or Woolworths for that matter but going to try and look it up online now :-)

SpecialOffer Wed 23-Jul-08 19:59:46

It is on the same road as the fire station and swimming pool, there are two car parks nxt to each other, nth and south. When you park, park by the main set of lifts (4 of them) take them to the ground floor and you come out by the indoor market the other side of Woolworths and Boots.

Walk past Primark on your left, Macdonalds on your right and there is a slope leading up to the train station and leisure park.

Don't know if that helps?

SpecialOffer Wed 23-Jul-08 20:00:44

Oh the road is St Georges Way! You won't miss the car parks!

futurity Wed 23-Jul-08 20:11:34

You star! Just looked on Stevenage websites and found car park maps and I see where you mean. Also only £3 for the day which is alot better than the £5+ at the train station. We've been to London from Stevenage before and loved how quick the train service was (compared to Royston which takes FOREVER!) but previously had been at the weekend so parking no problem then.
Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now