Advanced search

travelling to France.....can someone check my checklist please?

(13 Posts)
DontNeedAnything Wed 23-Jul-08 17:11:09

OK, we are driving to France for the first time ever. Can someone check my checklist please (I am thinking of things that are over and above UK holidays which I think I should be capable of sorting - i.e. packing)

1. Car insurance to cover european driving - need to to
2. European breakdown cover o
3. GB sticker, Triangle, spare bulbs - done, need to do Hi vis vest though (how many do we need - 1 or 5, there seem sto be conflicting advice on google?)
4. Road map & sat Nav - done
5. Accomodation booked for all parts of journey
6. E111 healthcare thingy someone tell me excatly how, what, where when I need to do
7. Do I need headlamp deflectors or something???
8. Currency - travellers cheques or euros?
9 check mobile is set up for roaming - done (we are travelling with family so want the ability to call them if the need arises, I know it will cost a fortune)

Anything I have missed

babyOcho Wed 23-Jul-08 17:18:06

Personally I wouldn't bother with travelers cheques. Take euros instead, and you can always get some out of the cash machine.

E111 - you used to get the form from the post office.

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 17:18:32

3. It was due to be compulsory from beg July but is now October and may not apply to foreign vehicles, although still recommended and must eb kept in the forn to fcar , not boot.
6. Apply fro EHIC cards online - one for each person.
7. You need stickers to put over hte headlights to avoid dazzle.

PortAndLemon Wed 23-Jul-08 17:23:36

You need your car registration document with you (have fallen foul of that one before).

Healthcare thingy (now European Health Insurance Card rather than E111) go to or call 0845 606 2030.

DontNeedAnything Wed 23-Jul-08 17:27:40

LIZ - I know that is now compulsory - or are you saying that had been delayed? On TV the other day they were saying it is compulsory now.

What is confusing (from google) is whether ony teh driver needs a hi vis vest or if all passnegers need one?

DontNeedAnything Wed 23-Jul-08 17:32:22

And yes I know about the V5 (as was)...I shall add it to my list though so it doesn't get left behind.

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 18:02:06

Read several times in the papers that it isn't being enforced until October . However AA site suggests that police are stopping foreign vehicles anyway hmm

DontNeedAnything Wed 23-Jul-08 18:07:06

Thanks LIZ, I guess the TV prog was made before the change of implementation date. We have all of the stuff any way, and it is all useful stuff.

popmum Wed 23-Jul-08 18:09:35

presumably you are going by ferry? if so just buy the stickers on board - should be stocked there and no more expensive i think

PortAndLemon Wed 23-Jul-08 18:12:28

But don't do what I once did and buy stickers to convert French headlamps for UK roads blush or your DH will find it very funny.

Bellie Wed 23-Jul-08 18:19:18

Just come back from France, and the owners of our Gite informed us that you need to have a hi-vis jacket for each person in the car (so if you need to stand on side of road you can all be seen). Also they are aware that the french police have been stopping most english vehicles that they see to check that they have all the equipment needed.

The European Health card takes about 2 weeks to come in the post.

DontNeedAnything Wed 23-Jul-08 18:20:23

I have jjust ordered the health card. Says 7 days - we have about 3 weeks anywaty.

Anna8888 Wed 23-Jul-08 18:23:47

Get proper travel health insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now