Talk

Advanced search

How many bags?

(15 Posts)
janeite Wed 23-Jul-08 12:08:41

Can I be nosey please and ask how many suitcases etc you would take for a family of four on a 2 week beach holiday, staying in a self catering appartment?

Dp seems to think I should be able to fit everything in one suitcase!

lizziemun Wed 23-Jul-08 12:13:42

probaly 1 suitcase and 1 holdall. but then i travel light grin. where as my mil packs to the baggage allowance.

Gobbledigook Wed 23-Jul-08 12:15:03

Ha ha! Well, there are 5 of us (me, dh, 3 boys) and we'll be taking 2 large suitcases and possibly a hold-all/weekend case as well. I'm rubbish at travelling light.

I would say 2 fairly large suitcases would be standard for a family.

chipmonkey Wed 23-Jul-08 13:12:28

Just come back from hols with me, dh, my Mum and our 4 boys. Mum had a holdall with all her own stuff. The rest of us used 1 large suitcase, I medium one and one small one plus a schoolbag-sized rucksack. Just be careful of luggage allowances as a lot of airlines don't allow you to "combine" your luggage allowance so you may be better with small suitcases for everyone rather than one large one.

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 13:17:31

2 cases and a soft bag.

janeite Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:02

Thanks for the help so far. The travel agent did say we could combine allowances, so I'm thinking one large and one medium suitcase might be okay? I actually have one suitcase and a holdall but I don't think much will fit in the holdall, so maybe I should buy another suitcase? I'm hoping this thread will convince dp that I'm right!

janeite Fri 25-Jul-08 16:51:37

It is all packed into one medium sized suitcase and one small one and neither one is above the 15 kg limit for one person. I am astonished!

So - I can put more books in now, right?!

Gobbledigook Sat 26-Jul-08 08:50:03

Go for it!

Dh and I were discussing holiday reading and he was asking me if 3 books was OK. He was shocked when I said I'd need at least 6!

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:16:56

We have 6 between us and intend to mix and match; unfortunately what dp likes, I'm likely to hate!

RTKangaMummy Sat 26-Jul-08 17:25:01

Deffo deffo put some of each persons stuff in e\ach case

so tha tif one gets lost then everyone will have some clothes

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:27:28

Yes, have done that. Thanks for checking though!

I only did it because I did a search about packing on here and somebody had suggested it - I'm not clever enough to think of it on my own!

Lucycat Sat 26-Jul-08 17:28:39

Have you decided which books to take then janeite?

seb1 Sat 26-Jul-08 17:33:30

Baggage handlers will only lift bags below a certain wieght above that you will be asked a check-in to split weight between cases best contact airline or airport

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:34:14

Welllllllllllllllll:

I keep putting them in and taking them out again, so I could still change my mind.

Currently I have:

- Notes From An Exhibition
- Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman)
- Pride And Prejudice (for the millionth time; don't think I should take it but would hate to be stuck with several books that I don't like and nothing to love)
- A Richard And Judy one that I got for 25p in a charity shop - can't remember what it's called - something about The House
- The Falling Man - Don de whatshisname
- dp has some Raymond Chandler and Cormac McCarthy

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:35:27

Thanks Seb. We have one at 16kg, one at 14kg and 2 small (less than 5 kg each) ones to take on board, so I think it'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now