Talk

Advanced search

How many bags?

(15 Posts)
janeite Wed 23-Jul-08 12:08:41

Can I be nosey please and ask how many suitcases etc you would take for a family of four on a 2 week beach holiday, staying in a self catering appartment?

Dp seems to think I should be able to fit everything in one suitcase!

lizziemun Wed 23-Jul-08 12:13:42

probaly 1 suitcase and 1 holdall. but then i travel light grin. where as my mil packs to the baggage allowance.

Gobbledigook Wed 23-Jul-08 12:15:03

Ha ha! Well, there are 5 of us (me, dh, 3 boys) and we'll be taking 2 large suitcases and possibly a hold-all/weekend case as well. I'm rubbish at travelling light.

I would say 2 fairly large suitcases would be standard for a family.

chipmonkey Wed 23-Jul-08 13:12:28

Just come back from hols with me, dh, my Mum and our 4 boys. Mum had a holdall with all her own stuff. The rest of us used 1 large suitcase, I medium one and one small one plus a schoolbag-sized rucksack. Just be careful of luggage allowances as a lot of airlines don't allow you to "combine" your luggage allowance so you may be better with small suitcases for everyone rather than one large one.

LIZS Wed 23-Jul-08 13:17:31

2 cases and a soft bag.

janeite Wed 23-Jul-08 13:18:02

Thanks for the help so far. The travel agent did say we could combine allowances, so I'm thinking one large and one medium suitcase might be okay? I actually have one suitcase and a holdall but I don't think much will fit in the holdall, so maybe I should buy another suitcase? I'm hoping this thread will convince dp that I'm right!

janeite Fri 25-Jul-08 16:51:37

It is all packed into one medium sized suitcase and one small one and neither one is above the 15 kg limit for one person. I am astonished!

So - I can put more books in now, right?!

Gobbledigook Sat 26-Jul-08 08:50:03

Go for it!

Dh and I were discussing holiday reading and he was asking me if 3 books was OK. He was shocked when I said I'd need at least 6!

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:16:56

We have 6 between us and intend to mix and match; unfortunately what dp likes, I'm likely to hate!

RTKangaMummy Sat 26-Jul-08 17:25:01

Deffo deffo put some of each persons stuff in e\ach case

so tha tif one gets lost then everyone will have some clothes

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:27:28

Yes, have done that. Thanks for checking though!

I only did it because I did a search about packing on here and somebody had suggested it - I'm not clever enough to think of it on my own!

Lucycat Sat 26-Jul-08 17:28:39

Have you decided which books to take then janeite?

seb1 Sat 26-Jul-08 17:33:30

Baggage handlers will only lift bags below a certain wieght above that you will be asked a check-in to split weight between cases best contact airline or airport

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:34:14

Welllllllllllllllll:

I keep putting them in and taking them out again, so I could still change my mind.

Currently I have:

- Notes From An Exhibition
- Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman)
- Pride And Prejudice (for the millionth time; don't think I should take it but would hate to be stuck with several books that I don't like and nothing to love)
- A Richard And Judy one that I got for 25p in a charity shop - can't remember what it's called - something about The House
- The Falling Man - Don de whatshisname
- dp has some Raymond Chandler and Cormac McCarthy

janeite Sat 26-Jul-08 17:35:27

Thanks Seb. We have one at 16kg, one at 14kg and 2 small (less than 5 kg each) ones to take on board, so I think it'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: