Talk

Advanced search

I want to book a holiday now for next summer, but they are so blooming expensive

(17 Posts)
Fimbo Tue 22-Jul-08 17:09:01

I am not even talking 4 or 5 star here. Then I thought I would book a villa and do flights separately. The flights alone were £1500, my holiday this year cost less than that and it would be the same flight.

I am currently trying to persuade dh that timeshare is the way to go (but he doesn't want the same week year after year)

LullyOfShallot Tue 22-Jul-08 17:13:36

Where are you wanting to go? smile

Fimbo Tue 22-Jul-08 17:17:13

I don't care really - anywhere.

The £1500 was for Menorca, because the only flight from my local airport is booked out by the big name companies, so they can charge what they please.

I could possibly book villas etc directly with owners but then I cant get flights to match up or they are not out yet.

I wanted to book early so I can pay it off in chunks rather than all one go.

I have been looking for days and I am so hacked off.

Perhaps Cornwall next year would be good grin

LullyOfShallot Tue 22-Jul-08 17:26:22

it's costing just as much as a trip abroad tho sadly sad
dh has to work most Saturdays throughout the summer
total bummer

Fimbo Tue 22-Jul-08 17:31:29

I can imagine. It's crap having to work week-ends.

My dd is going into year6 which is the dreaded SATS year, so I don't really want to take her out of school which we did this year, it is just so damn expensive in July/August. Her school only has single weeks at other holidays and I feel if you are going abroad you need to really go for a fortnight, this year our flight was hideously delayed which meant for some people on our flight they lost an entire day.

missblythe Tue 22-Jul-08 17:37:18

I would def. do villa direct with owner, and then wait for flights to be released.

We usually use holidaylettings.co.uk, then fly easyjet or bmibaby, and it works out SO much cheaper than a package deal.

Could you put money in a special holiday account each month and then book when the flights are released?

bellavita Tue 22-Jul-08 18:04:33

Fimbo - DS1 has just finished Yr6 so we could not take him out - it cost us an extra £1000 on flights to go when school has finished so I know where you are coming from.

Aimsmum Tue 22-Jul-08 18:07:25

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 22-Jul-08 18:11:33

Message withdrawn

aznerak Tue 22-Jul-08 20:32:33

It is invariably cheaper to book a villa direct with the owner now. you may be fortunate enough to secure next year's holiday at this year's prices!

Wiat for flights - they will usually be reasonable when they come out.

Good luck

Fimbo Wed 23-Jul-08 09:13:26

Thank you Aimsmum and everyone else. If I book a villa now directly with owners, I will be able to match up flights won't I? <<bites nails>>

Aznerak do you still have a property you let out? If so can you link me your website. Thanks!

aznerak Wed 23-Jul-08 13:41:30

Hi Fimbo

Most of our guests book the villa ages before flights are even on sale and no-one has yet had a problem. I am more than happy to assist with that bit of it!

Website is www.villakarli.co.uk or email me if you'd rather at info@villakarli.co.uk but make sure you give me your MN name aswell!

aznerak Wed 23-Jul-08 13:43:05

Would you consider going with family or friends? That way, you can take a bigger villa than you need and split the costs. For example, we have quite a lot of guests who come as either 2 families and take 2 bedrooms each or they invite grandparents or sister/brother and family along and split the rental costs.
Just a thought.......... smile

Fimbo Wed 23-Jul-08 14:03:48

Thanks Aznerak - yours looks gorgeous but too big for us, we are socially inept and like to holiday by ourselves!

I am off to look for others now.....

Janetta Thu 24-Jul-08 10:00:27

I´d love to recommend the villa we go to Casa Arabella Playa Blanca Lanzarote, just tell them what your budget is and they´ll probably meet it. http://www.lanzarotelates.com/villa_details.php?pid=50

Aimsmum Fri 25-Jul-08 17:50:05

Message withdrawn

butwhybutwhy Fri 25-Jul-08 18:08:13

Fimbo, try Travel Republic.

We got a 3 star 3 bed self catered apartment in Majorca for £158.
That was for 3 adults, 1 child and 3 infants.

Flights were just over £400 with Thomson Fly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now