Talk

Advanced search

Maternity Allowance- Is this true???

(7 Posts)
ellideb Mon 21-Jul-08 16:57:54

Being self employed I have applied for Maternity Allowance to start 6 weeks before my baby is due (4th August).

Now they have just told me that I can only apply for it when I have actually finished work and not before, so that leaves them just the weekend to process the form. I finish work on the 1st of August.

They said they can't take my word for it incase I finish earlier due to tiredness for example. What is it to them if I do? It's not like I'd be claiming anything from them until the 4th of August anyway. I'd be the one losing out on pay.

What has annoyed me is the fact I'm going to be left without pay until they process my application which could take God knows how long. Then I will receive back pay. I was told to send off this application within 3 months of my due date so I would get paid on time.

I don't understand this really. I'm being told I can only send off my application on the day I finish work.
Is this right?

ellideb Mon 21-Jul-08 16:59:35

Just realised where I have posted this- oops blush

crazymummy84 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:20

Here is a link. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10039631
It says they CAN ask for notice, usually by wekk 25 of your pregnancy. Have you asked them how they will make sure you get paid on time. DOesnt sound like a good reason that they cant take your word for it you wont leave before, cos if they dont have the notice they wont know anyway.

crazymummy84 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:03:49

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10039631

crazymummy84 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:05:51

Just re-read your post. If your employer agrees you wont get paid on time, go to the CAB because you have the right to be paid from when you leave.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 21-Jul-08 21:10:41

I applied before I had finished work, and they processed it no problem. Iirc though, there was no place on the initial application to specify when I wanted it to start, so I got sent a letter asking when at a later point. They were a little late in paying, but only a month at most I think.

ellideb Tue 22-Jul-08 08:52:59

I'm self-employed crazymum, it's the maternity allowance people who are saying they can't take my word for it. I'm going to get my dp to speak to them today he's a lot better with these type of people then i am! thanks for all your reply's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now