Talk

Advanced search

Who went to Cala D'or in Majorca? What was it like?

(16 Posts)
mosschops30 Sun 20-Jul-08 18:21:58

I think it was LGJ but cant remember but when I was thinking of booking someone else on here was going and said theyd report back.

But any opinions welcome on the resort pls smile

mosschops30 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:01:58

bump

kee27 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:41:35

i have been there it quiet there but lovley i am going to alcudia in sep .we seem to go majorca every year but sta y at diffrent resorts all the time i would move out there if i could lol

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 21:46:48

I went there in 2001 in the before children era. I liked it. I stayed in decent apartments which backed onto the Marina. The Marina part is very nice, lots of restaurants etc. There are 2 beaches near that bit of Cala D'Or - they aren't very big but OK otherwise.

TotalChaos Mon 21-Jul-08 21:47:07

It's reasonably easy to get buses from there into Palma.

JudgeNutmeg Mon 21-Jul-08 22:01:29

We visited there once when we had a holiday in Alcudia. My dh told me that it was called Cala Small and I believed him for ages. The beach was very small from memory. blush

AbbeyA Mon 21-Jul-08 22:05:51

We liked it, it is nice and quiet. The beach is small but you can sit in the shade which suited me. We also had a nice hotel with pool.

zebramama Mon 21-Jul-08 22:14:50

Cala D'Or is a resort that has expanded to encompass 5 beaches and a marina. None are huge and some are tiny.

Cala Gran beach is the main one.
Cala D'Or, Cala Ferrera and Cala Serena are all small and Cala Esmeralda is tiny!
The marina is sometimes called Cala Longa and has changed rapidly since I first went there aged 10 (Now 35)!

We have an apartment just off Cala Ferrera beach and it is a 10 minute walk into the centre of Cala D'Or.

There are plenty of restaurants and bars or all levels of Quality from "Brits Abroad" to proper Mallorcean cuisine.

The beaches are safe and pretty clean (stormy weather can leave them seaweedy for a few days) and they are very sheltered making them kiddy friendly.

We think it is great for the kids. The place gets a bit "lively" in peak season, but nothing like the riotous behaviour around Palma and Alcudia. Generally it all goes quiet by midnight as their aren't a multitude of nightclubs.

If you have specific questions I am happy to provide more detailed answers.

mosschops30 Tue 22-Jul-08 19:51:50

thanks all for your repplies smile

we havent been to majorca before, normally menorca so we were hoping we'd picked a quiet resort with nice restaurants and somewhere to walk out in the night (marina)!

Any restaurant recommendations zebra?

herbietea Tue 22-Jul-08 19:54:54

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Tue 22-Jul-08 20:02:27

Fab smile, me and dh had prepared ourselves for something like Benidorm lol wink but from everyone on here it sounds perfect.
We could only go in august this year, and we booked it late and this was the only thing in our price bracket.
As long as the apartments are clean and safe as well I'll be happy

tiredemma Tue 22-Jul-08 20:29:27

My fave resort on the island.

The MArina is great and lovely to walk around.

which apts are you staying at?

zebramama Wed 23-Jul-08 09:39:54

Orur favourite restaurant on the far side of the Marina closed down last year.

Port Petit on the Marina does excellent Sea Food.
C'An Trompe on the southern corner of the Central Restaurant area is excellent for local specialities.
Blanco y Nero on the far side of the Marina is good for a special occassion and there is a Thai restaurant over as well whose name escapes me which is very good.

mosschops30 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:05:30

we are staying at the Prinsotel Alba tiredemma.

Will note those restaurants and give them a try thanks smile

shatteredmumsrus Thu 24-Jul-08 20:12:59

Came back from Cala d'or on Tuesday. My in laws have an apartment by the marina and went last year to.Its heavenly, imagine sitting in a restaurant by the marina sharing a jug of sangria.Its a nice quiet resort and very friendlt. We liked restaurants called Blanco y Negro and Dona Gamba. They do a gorgeous sea bass majorcan style, hubby had steak and kids had spag bol.Must say tho because of exchange rate and all this crap going on at the moment in the economy we found it alot more expensive than last year. On average a meal for 2 adults and 2 children with drinks was around 70 euros.A loaf of bread was nearly 4 euros in spar!However I cant recommend it highly enough we will be going back again.

mosschops30 Wed 27-Aug-08 09:24:28

Good call on the Blanco y Negro, we ate there twice on your recommendations and it was lovely (although expensive at 74 euros, but worth it as a special treat).

We all had a lovely holiday but wouldnt go to Cala D'or again, or even Majorca. We found it quite commercial compared to Menorca and a bit tacky in places.
Our apartments were ok for what we paid, but we wouldnt stay there again.

Met some lovely people though, and the kids were happy so thats half the battle grin

Thanks for all your tips before we went.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now