Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Want a fab hotel in or around Brighton...

(40 Posts)
CountessDracula Sun 06-Feb-05 22:54:52

PILs have very kindly offered to have dd for a couple of nights and we are going to go somewhere to a hotel. They live N of Brighton, I quite fancy Brighton in fact as in Feb there is not a lot to do out in the country, but am open to suggestions.

Thought of the Hotel du Vin, but was fairly unimpressed by the Harrogate one when I stayed there on business - anyone stayed at the Brighton one?

TIA

foxinsocks Sun 06-Feb-05 23:03:12

There's the famous pelirocco hotel pelirocco not stayed there myself but know others who rave about it

Have stayed in the Old Ship - great position, rooms a bit dated

Queens hotel - nice indoor pool, gym and good location.

Then there's the Grand and the Metropole which are what you'd expect of good hotels.

CountessDracula Sun 06-Feb-05 23:12:32

Yes was thinking of the Pelirocco but it does look a bit OTT and naff! Was thinking of more simple luxury, but am tempted by the suite there!

Anyone stayed at the Brightonwave? It looks a bit stark but gets good reviews

moondog Sun 06-Feb-05 23:15:38

I thought Hotel du vin was supposed to be the business?!Have been dying to try one.
There was a thing about nice romantic hotels in Brighton in today's Observer.
Do they have a Malmaison there?

ThomCat Sun 06-Feb-05 23:18:28

errr, the Pelirocco is not OTT or Naff. Well me and my fab four girlies that stayed there NYE didn't think so. We LOVED it. We stayed in Missy Moos room and had a scream, loved the room, loved the hotel and it's staff.

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 06-Feb-05 23:34:46

This looks interesting, I don't know it though.

CountessDracula Mon 07-Feb-05 10:44:22

Hmmm looks a bit fusty IYKWIM Puff!
TC thanks for that, I know a couple of people who have been there, one loved it the other hated it!

Re Hotel du Vin, I stayed in the Harrogate one for biz lately and didn't really rate it - the first room I got was pokey and I couldn't sleep because of the noise of some air con thing outside the back all night. The next night they moved me to a lovely room at the front and it was fine. However, the rooms were all very bog standard, I thought they would all be a bit more individual and have interesting antiques etc like the one in Winchester used to have.

The food was good and the bed very comfy though.

Cadbury Mon 07-Feb-05 10:47:26

Before we had kids, we would regularly use the Adelaide in Regency Square (near the old pier). The rooms are pleasant enough and not too expensive. Within walking distance of everything.

handlemecarefully Mon 07-Feb-05 10:55:48

We stayed at the Grand Hotel (with dd then aged 1.6) and enjoyed it. Good location too

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 07-Feb-05 11:02:51

Yes, there's a touch of "changing rooms" about it lol!

puddle Mon 07-Feb-05 11:17:25

Neo hotel www.neohotel.com is supposed to be lovely (I live in Brighton so never stayed there). Not stayed in hotel du vin but eaten there and the food is great. It's in quite a busy part of brighton tho so might be noisy at night.

CountessDracula Tue 08-Feb-05 12:43:27

Thomcat did some of your mates stay in another room or did you see any others at the Pelirocco?

CountessDracula Tue 08-Feb-05 13:36:25

Anyone stayed at Drakes?

WideWebWitch Tue 08-Feb-05 13:39:56

Cd, go and look at Mr & Mrs Smith, I've lent my copy out but I feel sure there's at least one Brighton hotel in there. Ooh, how lovely!

WideWebWitch Tue 08-Feb-05 13:41:02

website here although I don't know if there's any detail

bundle Tue 08-Feb-05 13:44:17

gosh, CD, it looks nice

oops Tue 08-Feb-05 13:51:08

Message withdrawn

oops Tue 08-Feb-05 13:52:11

Message withdrawn

oops Tue 08-Feb-05 13:55:16

Message withdrawn

oops Tue 08-Feb-05 13:58:23

Message withdrawn

northerner Tue 08-Feb-05 14:03:12

CD - agree with you about Hotel du vin Harrogate. Apparantly Brighton is much better. Not been myself but a few of my colleagues have.

Have you booked anywhere yet?

bundle Tue 08-Feb-05 14:04:49

my SIL says the food/wine at hotel du vin is fabby. dunno about the rooms

CountessDracula Tue 08-Feb-05 14:47:06

Right, have booked Drakes as there was a good offer on, it does look nice esp the bath!

Have until 13th to cancel if I find something nicer though. Don't think I will, they were really great on the phone, are arranging massage/champagne for us and have dvd library, huge brekkie trays etc..

CountessDracula Tue 08-Feb-05 14:47:29

ps will book H du V for dinner on the Sun I think, any other food recommendations gratefully received.

bundle Tue 08-Feb-05 14:48:32

Terre a Terre is fabulous (veggie, but i'm not iykwim), my absolute favourite in brighton (but i haven't been to h du v)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now