Talk

Advanced search

We missed our flight but isn't this a bit cheeky of Ryanair?

(17 Posts)
alittleteapot Fri 18-Jul-08 20:43:16

Thing is, we're totally in the wrong having turned up for our return flight a full 24 hours late blush - not sure how it happened - one of us at some point said Wednesday instead of Tuesday, the other didn't correct it and there we were what we thought was 3 hours early (having timed our journey to the airport to coincide with our carsick baby's nap) but in fact was a whole day late.

Anyway, Ryanair had one flight going out of the airport that day (we had to wait for eight hours to get it, which at least gave DD a chance to learn to walk smile ) The flight was underbooked with lots of spare seats. But because we were trying to do so AFter our original flight had gone, they refused to transfer it. Fair enough, no reason we shouldn't pay for our mistakes, but they charged us over £300 for this single journey which was much more than our return tickets had originally cost and was more like an Air France price.

Anyway part of me wants to kick up a fuss and ask for at least a partial refund, but I've heard that Ryanair are rubbish when it comes to customer service, and I've wasted enough of the past few days already.
Anyone had anything similar?

lulumama Fri 18-Jul-08 20:44:50

i would not even try TBH!

peak travel time now, isn;t it and it was your fault you missed it, although i am strangely impressed you missed it by a whole day grin

PinkChick Fri 18-Jul-08 20:45:16

sounds like they charged you full whack for a last minute flight as they could see you were desp[erate to go..really annoying but i doubt you'd get anywere complaining sadly?

MadamePlatypus Fri 18-Jul-08 20:45:40

Ryanair would probably have charged you £300 even if they pride in their rubbish customer service. Kick up a fuss if you want, but you will just be exercising your lungs.

MadamePlatypus Fri 18-Jul-08 20:47:03

wow, that last post didn't really work.

I meant to say

Ryanair would probably have charged you £300 even if they had been completely in the wrong. This is a company that takes pride in their rubbish customer service. Kick up a fuss if you want, but you will just be exercising your lungs.

roquefort Fri 18-Jul-08 20:55:59

You have absolutely no chance of getting money back from Ryanair I'm afraid. Rumour has it that they even charge their own staff to charge their mobiles at work!

alittleteapot Fri 18-Jul-08 20:57:13

Yeah, thought so. Ah well, worth an ask.

When exactly does brain return after childbirth?

smile

cmotdibbler Fri 18-Jul-08 20:58:54

You wouldn't get a refund from any airline for that I think.

A friend of mine turned up to the wrong airport, in a different country for a flight once. That did cause his wife to become a little annoyed...

onepieceoflollipop Fri 18-Jul-08 21:00:53

Agree with what others have said. They would problem enjoy a bit of a ruck with a former customer - you would end up more frustrated.

SoupDragon Fri 18-Jul-08 21:01:10

We turned up 24 hours late for a return flight once. It was 100% DH's fault. It cost us £800 (2 adults 2 children) to get home I behaved impeccably and never uttered a single cross word about it.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 18-Jul-08 21:07:56

Dh has done exactly the same thing with Ryanair, and also had to buy a new ticket at full price [muppet].

LIZS Fri 18-Jul-08 21:10:55

Think you'd struggle to complain as it was your mistake (presumably you had the print out of the booking but never thought to check ).However they may have discretion to charge you the difference in fares rather than the whole fare. Presumably you could have rebooked with Air France instead ?

alittleteapot Fri 18-Jul-08 22:24:54

glad it's not just us then. grin

there was an air france flight but we'd have had to change at paris and we just got to a point where we wanted to get home whatever.

i think ryanair relies on stuff like this to make their money. on the way out we'd paid £8 for priority boarding but so had most of the passengers which cancelled it out completely.

TheHolyGrail Mon 21-Jul-08 17:18:24

They run a business - do you think they really make money by selling low cost seats all the time? You could have swapped to a different airline once you missed - often the country type airlines are cheaper than the no frills when the time between the booking and flight is very short. So not cheeky at all - next time check the tickets grin.

kee27 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:47:12

hope this dont happen to me lol . we fly with ryanair in sep lol i will check my tickets 5 times lmao

justaboutagrownup Mon 21-Jul-08 21:49:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kee27 Mon 21-Jul-08 21:55:35

omg im starting to get worried now lol . i know that if u go over on luggage . u hav to pay loads . so i have been told any way what r they like for delays . any 1 know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now