Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a book that covers laws/roadsigns in France please?

(6 Posts)
DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:11:38

cos there seem to be so many "driving in europe" type books on Amazon.

Also we will be buying a road atlas. Wil lthe road atlas have this sort of stuff in - will it duplicate what is in a seperate book.

Ta

theyoungvisiter Fri 18-Jul-08 09:31:29

not sure you need a whole book - it's pretty straight forward to be honest. YOu could probably find it by googling.

This site for example tells you most of what you need to know but there must be lots more.

The main things to watch out for - they have a national limit sign like we do but the limit is 90kmph on main roads. When you see the name sign for a town this acts as a speed restriction, without the need for any further signing. So just by driving through the town limit the speed limit drops to 50kmph.

There is an old-fashioned law which gives "priorite a droit" - right of way to people entering the road from the right. This is very rarely used any more but you do sometimes encounter it and it's confusing to English drivers.

theyoungvisiter Fri 18-Jul-08 09:35:17

oh - and I doubt the road atlas will have this in it. Unless it's one aimed specifically at tourists in which case it might have some info, but most of them will be aimed at French drivers.

It's not as hard as the books try to make out tbh - I've been driving in France for years and never had any ishoos. Your main challenge will probably be remembering to go to the right on deserted roundabouts - it's fine when there's other traffic on the road, very easy to forget when the road is deserted and you are tired and on autopilot!

It helps if you are driving a left-hand-drive car - overtaking and stuff is harder in a UK car because you are in the wrong place on the road. But it's not a big deal.

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 09:41:51

TY.

I know that I can get most of the stuff from Google. What I really wanted was the road signs as a reference to take with us.

The road atlas' that I am looking at are by the AA, RAC etc. so I suspect that they will be aimed at tourists.

theyoungvisiter Fri 18-Jul-08 13:28:48

The visual road signs pretty much the same as ours. The ones which are not are the ones actually in French - the commonest of which are listed on that link I gave you (eg "Cedez le Passage" etc).

However perhaps someone else who has bothered with a book will be along with a recommendation - I was just trying to stop you spending money unnecessarily but if you want to, that's your decision of course...

DontNeedAnything Fri 18-Jul-08 17:55:56

I need something to read (as the passanger) on the 6hr+ drive......

<I think that program the other night spooked us a little>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now