Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

With 1 £1000 budget for 3 ~ can we get a week abroad in May half term?

(14 Posts)
Beatie Sun 06-Feb-05 08:27:18

I have got nowhere so far. And I think DH would prefer it cost nearer £800 too.

We have a 2yo dd. Free child places seem to be a myth... or if they exist your adult prices suddenly go up.

If I wasn't pregnant we'd just go over to France but I cannot stand being in France and not able to eat deli meats, pate, cheeses and drink wine.

I'm not keen to risk the weather and stay in the British Isles. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bonniej Sun 06-Feb-05 08:43:02

keep looking. I find if you phone the operators and speak to someone and tell them your budget they can usually come up with something, even after the initial response of 'that's not enough'. Try direct holidays online as well as they can be quite resonable. Good luck!

Beatie Sun 06-Feb-05 09:11:59

Thanks - I'll try that.

Chuffed Sun 06-Feb-05 14:46:56

try teletext I can't say for sure they have something but it looks like they are a consilidator for lots of the travel companies and might have something for you.

spacedonkey Sun 06-Feb-05 14:54:52

You can get cheap flights to italy with ryanair and stay in an agriturismo for that budget - great food and the weather will be lovely

Tortington Sun 06-Feb-05 23:26:53

you can get a caravan in france for well under that and with the savings you can get very drunk on wine

ThomCat Sun 06-Feb-05 23:31:47

How about camping in France, and avoid the delis?
We went to a great campsite in Archachon, SW France, called Dune du Pyla. I didn't see one deli the whole time I was there, amd I was 6 months pregnant when we went.

Beatie Mon 07-Feb-05 08:33:35

Thanks - I'll look up that place in Italy.

We usually go to France as we live so close to the ferry port. We're happy to camp too but I see that as being my holidays for the future with two children. This seemed like our last chance to fly somewhere and have a break with dd - who is at a great age. With another one on the way I think it will be off the agenda for a little while. By the time the summer holidays come I'll be too pregnant to fly so it is May half term or never!

zubb Mon 07-Feb-05 09:28:47

You could go to Malta for a week easily at that price. Try Chevron holidays as a start, but there are lots more.

Beatie Mon 07-Feb-05 10:56:24

Thanks - I will look that one up too. I have fancied Malat in the past as there is lots to see historically.

slug Mon 07-Feb-05 13:20:47

Check out Easyjet flights. I recommend Slovenia. Pretty, close, incredibly child friendly. We went at the height of the summer season last year and nver had a problem getting a hotel room. Try lake Bled, a 45 minute bus journey from the capital. We stayed in a lakeside hotel (with indoor pool) for about 35 euro per night. The sluglet, aged 2, just shared our bed and wasn't charged for.

SofiaAmes Mon 07-Feb-05 22:26:21

We go here every year (including when I was 7 months pregnant -twice) and LOVE it. Would certainly fit in your budget if you book cheap flights to rome and a Monolocale room.

Beatie Tue 08-Feb-05 07:53:37

OK - everyone's recommendations were great to give me some ideas. Some of them I looked up and came in over budget for that incredibly expensive half term week. In the end we found a holiday to the Algarve for £1050 with a one bedroom apartment S/C. I was just about to book it and had second thoughts. Worried about amusing DD and ourselves during the day.

I thought I was going to go with my other idea of a city break to Copenhagen but I must just look into this Italian trip first. The accommodation looks loevly and so reasonably priced.

SofiaAmes Tue 08-Feb-05 15:58:42

It is very easy to do with a 2yo. Everyone is very childfriendly and the beach is clean, the water is shallow forever and there are lifeguards and everyone has children and they all help look after each other's children. And of course, since it's italy, the food is a child's (and adult's) dream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now