Talk

Advanced search

the honest view of holidays?

(12 Posts)
tatt Sun 06-Feb-05 08:19:49

anyone know where to find the guide that travel agents use to tell them what holiday accomodation is really like? Is it online or just under the counter? We've sen a cheap holiday advertised and would like to know what the drawbacks are.

Cristina7 Sun 06-Feb-05 08:24:44

If you have the hotel's name, do a search for it on the internet. It might give you an idea about it. Some holidays are cheap because they're out of season or there are just good deals around. Where are you going?

StuartC Sun 06-Feb-05 08:42:55

It's not the travel agents guide, but you could try Holidays Uncovered here .

tatt Sun 06-Feb-05 09:00:29

its Limasol in Cyprus. Accomodation is not on Stuart's link - but thanks for that, would be useful anothr time. Bit nervous about Limasol s its described as an industrial port with virtually no beach.

happymerryberries Sun 06-Feb-05 09:06:24

The beach is, iirc, man made and quite small, and looks a bit like a concete strip (mind you I saw it years ago, it might have imroved since then). Will you be getting a car in with the holiday? If so there are much nicer places to go to in cyprus. Don't want to put you off, but limassol wouldn't be my first choice

StuartC Sun 06-Feb-05 09:09:53

Here's another one - this page is specifically for Limassol

fredtbad Sun 06-Feb-05 09:36:51

I never book a holiday without consulting trip advisor, a site where people review everything about travel and holidays: from hotels to restaurants.
\link{http://tripadvisor.com}

tatt Sun 06-Feb-05 09:42:55

Limassol wasn't our first choice, either. However we could go there for almost £600 less than paphos ( just a week's holiday) - which would mean being able to hire a car/ try waterskiing and do bowling/ waterpark. That link was really helpful, Stuart. I think I'm going to wait until dh is back to talk to him. At the moment while nervous about comments elsewhere about the nightlife (strip joints, not really what you want with children) I think I'm inclined to go for it.

happymerryberries Sun 06-Feb-05 10:26:01

I would go for it with a car, as there are lots and lots of places to see. Lots of acncient ruins, castles etc. A trip up into the mountains can be fab as well. We had a great holiday in Pisouri some years ago, but it was having thecar that 'made' theholiday, IYSWIM. Just don't expect much from limassol itself and use it as a base

Cristina7 Sun 06-Feb-05 11:07:35

We went to Limassol many years ago and had a nice time. The town is a bit busy but nothing "wrong" with it otherwise. You can also hire taxis to go places, even longer distances (e.g. Limassol-Nicosia), they are a very usual form of transport and generally good value for money.

My sister is married to a Cypriot. They live in Nicosia but her in-laws live in Limassol.

Tinker Sun 06-Feb-05 12:25:05

I secong using Trip Advisor. Very revealing. Just booked recently and 2 posts (a year or so apart) both said that at one hotel, the toilet seat was removed on the first day for repairs and never returned!?

strawberry Sun 06-Feb-05 13:48:24

I have asked travel agents to show me the guide and it has never been a problem. Personally I don't like Limassol as it is a big town rather than holiday resort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now