Talk

Advanced search

Best suggestions for London

(12 Posts)
raisinbran Thu 17-Jul-08 00:58:33

I wanted to help my American neighbour with grass root suggestions for Londn She will have a week with her husband who is travelling on business.Its her first time to the UK and she wont have the children with her.

I know she can read guidebooks but what is the best flow of things to do and places to eat etc.

She is also going to have to spend 2 days by herself.

I thought Greenwich, London eye, Tower of London, Harrods.

I also thought I viisted a pub with a tree in the middle of it and a nice restaurant in Holland Park but dont know the names.

zebramama Thu 17-Jul-08 10:55:52

If the weather is good then the Open-top bus tours round London are actually a good way to see the sites.
River Boat (ferry) down to Greenwich works on the same principal, even if you just ride straight back.
Love the London Eye.
ToL is very touristy, but if that is her thang then go for it. If bugets stretch then Buckingham Palace is also great - BUT you must book your tickets in advance on the website.

Can I suggest she gets down to Leicester Sq and gets a cheap theatre ticket? Loads of Pre Theatre meal deals to be had too.

If you do Harrod's then the Food Hall is great for lunch (best Cheesecake in London!).
Then you have Selfridges and Fortnum and Mason to kill your waistline with!

St Paul's Cathedral is a good indoor venue and there are all the Art Galleries as well, if that suits.

Since the kiddies came along we don't eat out much in central London, but our past favourites include:
Benares (Best India Meal I ever tasted) - V Expensive.
Fuzzy's Grub (Chain) - Most amazing Roast Lunch Sadwiches for £5.
L'Escargot (French) - Theatreland quality.

raisinbran Thu 17-Jul-08 11:04:11

Thanks Zebra some excellent suggestions.She likes good food so I'll pass on your tips.

Mimsy2000 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:14:58

agree with bus and boat tour. if she has a full day and nice weather then taking the boat to richmond park or even hampton court is fab.

kids not in tow!? selfridges, for sure. not sure of her taste, but i think topshop on oxford circus is fab and more affordable for yankees and there are none in the us, which makes them feel like unique purchases.

tate modern and the walk from there to st. pauls across the millenium bridge is nice.

i think a lot of yankees like the 'ye old enland' feel so heading to kensington for the museums [v&a, science, etc] is a good area. also regents street too...

i think liberty and carnaby street are really very uniquely london too.

sorry for the jumble. hope this helps.

MamaChris Thu 17-Jul-08 11:26:16

if the weather's good, then a nice day out is to start at st pauls (morning, not so busy), cross over millenium bridge to tate modern, visiting borough market for some top food (not cheap, but lovely, and browsing there is always fun), then carry on down the south bank to the london eye. full day out if they stop in at tate modern, some nice views of the river, and see old/new london up close.

Mimsy2000 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:30:24

ah yes - borough market is brilliant and a cheaper way to get great food.

desperatehousewifetoo Thu 17-Jul-08 11:32:43

What about train trip to Windsor, Bath or Cotswolds?

desperatehousewifetoo Thu 17-Jul-08 11:34:02

Hampton Court Palace, Kew Gardens..

raisinbran Fri 18-Jul-08 00:16:41

I'm taking it all down thanks everyone. They only have 5 full days in UK so they are just concentrating on London.

I'm just not sure of the flow of things so the advice has been great.

What else is near to the houses of parliament/ big ben.

They are staying near marble Arch and she wantd to see a shakespeare play any recommendations.

Kbear Fri 18-Jul-08 00:25:46

A nice walk is from Admiralty Arch down the Mall towards Buckingham Palace, back through St James' Park towards Horse Guards Parade, through the arches, photo with the guards on horseback, turn right down Whitehall, quick peek at Downing Street, eyes left for a photo opportunity of the London Eye, straight on to Parliament Square, eyes left for Big Ben and Parliament!

PortAndLemon Fri 18-Jul-08 00:36:57

She could go to the Globe if she wants Shakespeare -- that way she gets the full-on authentic experience.

PortAndLemon Fri 18-Jul-08 00:39:54

The pub with the tree you mentioned is probably Waxy O'Connor's in Rupert Street (near Leicester Square / Picadilly).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now