Talk

Advanced search

I want to take my expensive pram on hols with me - can I get insurance on it in case it gets damaged?

(19 Posts)
2point4kids Wed 16-Jul-08 20:04:11

I have a Phil and Teds and really want to take it with me as I love it and its soooo easy to use.
People have suggested I buy a cheap pushchair to take as it is likely to get damaged, but I must be able to get insurance on the P&T for less than it will cost me to buy a new cheap pram cant I????

Any ideas?

llareggub Wed 16-Jul-08 20:05:08

Won't it be covered by your travel or household insurance?

ivykaty44 Wed 16-Jul-08 20:05:47

lol

milkybarsrus Thu 17-Jul-08 10:04:10

In my experience of lots of holidays abroad, the pushchairs get literally chucked into the hold regardless of how much they might cost. they get scratched, wheels come off, filthy. these are all extremes, BUT, last december there were 4 damaged, 3 unusable pushchairs coming off the same flight as mine! mine as scratched up but nothing to the puschair casualties that others had. Do you really want to have to buy a pushchair as soon as you land? Try and get a 2nd hand maclaren as these are by far the strongest light weight chassis and can stand upto being thrown around.

2point4kids Thu 17-Jul-08 11:19:25

Why lol IvyKaty? hmm

I will need a double pram as have 2 under 3's and they are not that cheap to pick up even 2nd hand... well not that I've found anyway.
It just seems silly spending all that money on another pram I wil;l only use for a week when I've already spent money on the P&T!

milkybarsrus - I didnt realise it was that likely to get damaged tbh. I thought it might get scratched or ripped but still be useable, then I could get it fixed on return if necessary on the insurance.

desperatehousewifetoo Thu 17-Jul-08 11:37:29

Try posting for a double buggy on Freecycle if there is one in your area

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 11:50:54

check your travel insurance - it should be covered

If your airline allows it it's worth checking it at the gate rather than with the hold luggage though, and/or get a travel bag to protect it.

Twinkie1 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:53:41

We just buy one for about £35 quid from mothercare and lob it when we get back - it is pointless to take a huge heavy expensive buggy - you will spend at least the cost of a cheap one on phone calls and letters when yuo get back trying to claim on insurance or trying to get the airline to cough up - unnecessary hassle when you have kids.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 11:56:40

if you're going somewhere where you'll be doing lots of walking I'd spend that £40 on a travel bag and take the P&T

otheriwse you will have two weeks of misery shoving a rattly cheap stroller with two heavy kids in over bumps and cobbles when you have a lovely comfy easy-to-push one at home

I can't quite get my head round the ethics of 'disposable' buggies tbh

squeaver Thu 17-Jul-08 11:56:52

Are there two adults travelling? If so why not buy 2 second-hand really cheap Maclarens - you might even be able to take them as hand luggage if they're small enough. I've seen loads of pushchairs badly damaged too.

lubyluby Thu 17-Jul-08 12:00:50

go for the travel bag, i ahve taken my bugbaoo on holiday wiht me and we jt came back form florida and took the m&p skate with us which was £575, and they ahve all been fine. i alwasy use a travel bag though and check it in at check in with my other bags as easier. and if two adutls then the airport won;t be so bad as one child per adult.

the p&t travel bag is designed for air travel so shoudl protect it nicely and avoid you worrying abut it getting dmaaged.

2point4kids Thu 17-Jul-08 12:04:18

MrsBadger - that is exactly how I feel too!
Thank you. I will look for that travel bag and get one.

FeelingDeviant Thu 17-Jul-08 14:53:27

I recently bought travel insurance and was shocked to find that anything carried in cargo was not insured. So, phoned up my household insurers and was told they covered everything, even if damaged or nicked outside the home!

geekgirl Thu 17-Jul-08 14:55:26

yes, I was going to suggest getting a travel bag. Well worth it imo.

lou031205 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:39:19

We took our P&T to france on Easyjet in a P&T travel bag. It didn't have a mark on it on return.

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Jul-08 15:03:59

Sorry lol was due to the fact that it will cost you more to insure than the cost of a cheap second hand one - and then try and get the money from the insurance comapny to repair the pushchair will be a nightmare.

It was a cynical lol on behalf of insurance that never want to pay sad Yet will charge you the earth and promise you heaven

biggernow Wed 06-Aug-08 19:20:18

Do Easy jet let you take a phil and teds at no extra cost? We are going to France in Sept and our LO prefers his P&T for sleeps rather than our rather rickety maclaren....soooo want to take the P&T for SO many reasons...but thought mean old Easyjet wouldn't allow it????? Did you have any problems Lou???? Do you need the bag? Ours already looks like its been thrown about!!!!

MatNanPlus Wed 06-Aug-08 19:27:44

We recently took the P&T in it's travel bag to Moscow via Rome with AlItalia/Aeroflot and to London with RyanAir, no problems either time.

Taking all three wheels (including mudguards) off and packing wheels inside is advisable as i have found the rod that attaches the wheel to the frame is likely to get a tiny bit bent if they are on so the wheels 'click' not a problem more an annoyance, happened to a Mountain buggy via First class from NY last year so have learnt from that.

MatNanPlus Wed 06-Aug-08 19:31:43

The travel bags designed for the pram you have that i have used - Bugaboo with carrycot, Mountain Twin, & P&T have been very well protected and well worth the money.

I too can not see the point of a lovely pram for baby then being put in a rattle bucket for a holiday when routine etc is out of the window and sleeping out of the cot is most likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now