Talk

Advanced search

countersignatory for passport

(18 Posts)
flipflopper Mon 14-Jul-08 16:33:36

MIL cant think of anyone to countersign her passport.

Does anyone know if my mum could do it? So it would be her son's MIL.

Cant find any info on the website, it just says not to be related by birth or marriage....

islandofsodor Mon 14-Jul-08 16:45:48

Does your Mum fulfil the other criteria of holding the relevant qualification/professions position of responibility.

If so I can't see why not.

dilbertina Mon 14-Jul-08 16:48:26

Doctor? Pub landlord/lady? I would say your Mum is sort of related to her by marriage.

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 16:48:58

Message withdrawn

dilbertina Mon 14-Jul-08 16:49:15

Company directors can do them too...does she know anyone who runs own business thats a limited company?

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 16:51:04

pay your GP?

islandofsodor Mon 14-Jul-08 16:51:16

She isn''t though is she. She is related to you by marriage but not to your mum. There is as far as I am aware no legal staus to being the your daughter in law's mother's in law?????

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 16:51:26

does she go to church? I think priests can do it.

RuthT Mon 14-Jul-08 16:52:57

Human Resources people can do it too. Also solicitors and surveyors - anyone with letters after thier name

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 17:11:33

Head of HR can do it. I don't think a HR minion can do it.

Bank official?

sarah293 Mon 14-Jul-08 17:15:08

Message withdrawn

flipflopper Mon 14-Jul-08 17:17:30

My mum is a teacher and also owns a company.

My MIL cant think of anyone that is a professional that is not related to her, and going into a bank/ etc, you need to know their passport no so a bit of a faff.

Think we will try my mum, thanks guys

flipflopper Mon 14-Jul-08 17:24:07

Hang on, do you have to have a countersign for a renewal

DontNeedAnything Mon 14-Jul-08 17:24:32

Is there no-one on her street that fits those categories.

I agree though it is a PITA if you don't know anone.

My DP's BIL has signed mine in the past - which is bending the rules a bit - but technically as DP and I are not married we are not related byy marriage.

We are lucky now though as our neighbour is a social worker which makes it much easier.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 14-Jul-08 17:24:49

Not for a renewal, no.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 14-Jul-08 17:25:43

Unless name has changed or something like that. Or you look completely different to your last passport photo.

TinkerBellesMum Mon 14-Jul-08 17:36:24

No reason why your mum shouldn't sign if she meets the requirements.

Mum will either take our families to work (we know most of her colleagues) or get her dad to do it, as she was adopted as an adult there is no name sharing.

Pavlovthecat Mon 14-Jul-08 17:38:23

Can get anyone who is regarded as a 'professional' so if your mum can fit that criteria she can do it.

I have been countersignatory for many of my friends, and my nurse friend has been mine, DHs and DDs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now