Talk

Advanced search

Is getting on a plane a huge risk?

(45 Posts)
dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:07:08

That's what it feels like to me (have a fear of flying, we are going away in two weeks, haven't been ona plane for seven years)

I am extra scared as was planning to take shedloads of drugs to calm me down but I can't as have unexpectedly got pregnant.

I've had hypnotherapy and it has helped, but to me it seems like a 50/50 chance as to whether we make it there anbd back in one piece....argh, what have I done booking this holiday? Help!

giddykipper Sat 12-Jul-08 20:09:07

It's a smaller risk than getting in your car.

But I do have sympathy, I'm getting increasingly nervous with flying as I get older.

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:14:51

oh, God, wish we'd stayed in the Uk

snowleopard Sat 12-Jul-08 20:19:34

I'm scared too and we're flying in a couple of weeks. DP got me a book about it - it's about all the technical details of how flying works, and it really has helped. One of the best things is that it explains that air is a fluid, like water. If you imagine your plane flying through water, it's not as bad. The plane can't just fall down - even without engines, it would glide and can be landed. Also, because of security checks and traffic control, you are far safer from terrorism on a plane than on a train or bus, and much less likely to crash than in a car. In fact one statistic in it is that you are safer on a plane than sitting in your own house.

here

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:23:13

thanks, SL, what about it exploding on take-off like in that filmr Final Destination (which I wish to God I'd never watched!)

Caz10 Sat 12-Jul-08 20:24:32

statistically it is about the safest thing you can do, however it still terrifies me, and although I'm ok flying when it was just me and dh, now we have dd I feel like taking her on a plane just so that we can go on holiday seems like a huge selfish risk! which i know is silly! she's probably in more danger when I drive her to tesco.
can you take rescue remedy when pg?

snowleopard Sat 12-Jul-08 20:26:39

um, um... let's change the subject. 90% of people involved in air crashes survive! (I'm trying to convince myself here too you know)

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:29:23

Caz, I think you can but was counting on Temazepam-induced oblivion hmm

actually, what gives me hope is that I NEVER thought I could drive on the M25 (had car crash on a motorway from which this fear of flying - and motorways - developed after), but now I drive on M25 3-4 a week confidentally, I just got used to it....

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 20:33:26

i am a poo bucket over flying too but everyones right statistically its not going to happen - final destination is the bane of my flying life but what you have to remember is its a film made to ruin your flying life and is not real not not not not real!!!

We were talking aboug this at work the other day and i said that lets face it knowone knows anyone who has been in a plane crash which we all agreed to and felt beter anbout and then one of our midwives walked in and told us how in 1973 i think it was she was on a plane in tnerife were 2 collided and it was the biggest crash in aviation history and loads of people didnt survive BUT SHE AND HER HUSBAND who were on honeymoon SURVIVED!!! So yes i know one person who has been in a plane crash when technology was crapper and she survived - also shes as mad as a hatter. I dont know if i have just helped or not there but in a weird way it helped me.....

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:35:03

argh, that's mad - yes, that is strangely reassuring, lol at the mad as hatter bit

also, what about that plane that had something wrong with the rudder and it went all mad in the sky for ages before it ran out of fuel?

FairyMum Sat 12-Jul-08 20:38:25

I cannot think of a safer place to be than on a plane (except if you insist on flying some obscure russian airline)

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 20:40:29

omg you watch that programme on discovery dont you - you cant help yourself - crash investigation.....!!!! i am addicted too!!

ermmm it was a one off - you should not watch them programmes , i worry most at takeoff but as soon as the nice ladies start walking about i know where safe as if we werent they would have there arses glued to the seat and there head in there hands! Its all clever stuff now .....

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 20:43:09

Dinny who are you flying with?

Roskva Sat 12-Jul-08 20:43:43

apparently more people get struck by lightning than get hurt in plane crashes ... and small private aircraft are more dangerous than big commercial ones...

And I hope it's OK to take rescue remedy while pg, because I've taken it - yes, when we flew to France last month blush

Hassled Sat 12-Jul-08 20:43:58

I agree re finding out as much as you can re how it actually works. It's the little things that are reassuring - for example I always used to fret about the doors which seemed really flimsy to me, but then I saw some programme (a fear of flying thing) where they explained the doors actually have giant bolts that go into the body of the aircraft and are incredibly strong.

Plus I can absolutely confirm that as long as you sit on the left hand row, aisle seat, about a third of the way down, then nothing bad will happen. I do it every time and have always landed safely .

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:44:15

that is ANOTHER reason am bricking it - Olympic, and have read bad things hmm

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:44:54

Rosvka, actually, thinking about it I took RR in labour with dd

tribpot Sat 12-Jul-08 20:45:01

Seriously - DON'T WATCH THAT STUFF. I hate flying with a passion. But you know what? I have probably flown <adds up> 4000 times, if not 6000 times without incident. 50-50 - not even close. Your chances are phenomenally small.

Honestly - you will be fine.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 20:45:24

I have also sat next to the door and was not sucked out grin

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 20:46:28

I have actually flown loads and loads in my life as I am from the Isles of Scilly, so go back and forth many times ayear on TINY planes or helicopter (except I have been getting the boat for seven years now!)

there is only one pilot on the little six-seater plane!!

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 20:48:47

No, but it's a right PITA nowadays.

Ever since those fucking terrorists. I'd like to see them in hell just for making all air passengers being treated like criminals now. Fuckers.

That's the reason I haven't flown in 7 years.

Nappyzoneneedsanewname Sat 12-Jul-08 20:50:07

Olympic are really good - they had a few probs inthe 70's and 80's and so got very heavily invested in and totally sorted there shit out - they are all shiney and safe - if they have had probs inthe past i always think they will be a safer bet now as they will make extra checks!!

tribpot Sat 12-Jul-08 20:53:47

God no, it's nothing like as bad now as it was after 9/11. I was in Amsterdam when it happened (working) and the Friday of that week when we tried to get home was unbelievably horrendous.

The security checks now are quite reasonable, as long as you remember to wear a decent pair of socks! UK security checks haven't changed that much since then. Okay all the gubbins about are knitting needles in or out but those weeks after 9/11 were bad. I remember on one of those first flights (this prob isn't helping the OP) being terrified whilst simultaneously thinking "no-one's gonna hijack a flight from Amsterdam to Edinburgh" and someone stood up to go to the loo and being instantly convinced "oh my god, terrorist on board". Shockingly, he was just a guy who needed to pee grin

dinny Sat 12-Jul-08 21:08:33

Tribpot, socks?

Expat - really, haven't flown because you worry about another 9/11?

thanks for the reassuring words about Olympic....

LobstersLass Sat 12-Jul-08 21:09:57

Dinny, it is safer than being in a car on a UK motorway.

I used to hate taking off and landing, all the weird noises.

But my dh pointed out that the noises should be comforting, they mean that the plane is working properly and it's all the bits getting into place for the flight. It's if there aren't any noises that I should worry - and he was right.

Now I find the strange noises quite reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now