Talk

Advanced search

Anybody been to Kalkan in Turkey

(11 Posts)
OffTheCoffee Sat 12-Jul-08 08:08:33

I'm going at the end of August. What will the weather be like? Any tips? What should we see? Was it expensive?

Please tell me your experiences, good and bad. Thanks

becks5109 Mon 14-Jul-08 14:11:47

it will be hot hot hot!!! its a fantastic place thought with lots of wonderful roof top restaurants - we went there for our honeymoon in July - are you taking children?

OffTheCoffee Mon 14-Jul-08 19:59:18

Nope, it will be just us, so hopefully we will be able to sample some of those rooftop restaurants in the evening!

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 19:59:58

Message withdrawn

margoandjerry Mon 14-Jul-08 20:09:24

yes, it was lovely although don't try sage tea as it is foul!

We stayed at the Kalkan Regency which was lovely. The town is more touristy than we thought but still lovely and the gulet cruises are great.

kerala Mon 14-Jul-08 20:16:09

We have just got back. It is very pretty. The beach is a pebble beach but this makes the sea lovely and clear, and you can do a day trip (15 mins) to a gorgeous sandy beach. Streets are cute, cobbled and flower strewn. If you are child free there are lots of fab looking day trips to do (we couldnt as had toddler). Weather is fantastic and will sure to be hot and sunny when you are there. We didnt see a single cloud.

THe big negative was the price. We are not hugely cost conscious tight wads but all the restaurants seem to have entered into a price fixing cartel. Every restaurant charges Gordon Ramsay prices. We were abit hacked off with it by the end to be honest. We spent £50 a day (two adults and a toddler) on food and we were not drinking (I am pregnant) and tried to be careful what we ordered after we realised how extortionate it was. Got abit ridiculous when we were being charged £3 for a glass of milk for the toddler and £4 for abit of greek yoghurt. It makes London seem a total bargain. Ho hum. Hope you are self catering if you are on a budget!

OffTheCoffee Mon 14-Jul-08 20:23:52

Thanks Margo and Kerala. Sage tea sounds wrong! I think we will be eating a lot of bread rolls if it's that pricey.

PS, Cod, I thought as much - I'm not going to show this thread to DH! He's booked the honeymoon suite in a fit of wishful thinking...

artichokes Mon 14-Jul-08 20:29:19

I would agree with the thrust of Kerlala's post. Kalkan is stunning. Ten years ago it was heaven on earth - gorgeous water, gorgeous harbour, lovely things to see nearby but little tourism. Then the upmarket tourist agencies discovered it. It is exclusivly marketted to very wealthy westerners and the locals have caught on and ratcheted up prices.

Other Turkish towns are just as stunning but the food etc is literally 10% of Kalkan prices. Kalkan knows its customers and prices its servicesaccordingly.

Cod Mon 14-Jul-08 20:35:24

Message withdrawn

JuliaL Mon 14-Jul-08 22:11:18

Just to say that there are good places to eat that will balance out the 'plurges'. The Ali Baba lokantas have good food and my parents (who go to Kalkan regularly) spend about £3-4 each per meal! There is a good website enjoykalkan.com that has lots of insider tips. Have a great time!

becks5109 Tue 15-Jul-08 10:46:38

you should also consider a trip to the gorge - can't remember its name name Saklikent I think which is lovely cool water and a great day out. Gulet cruising for a day is also wonderful. We too stayed at the Kalkan Regency and also stay further up the coast for a week at a place called Dionysis which was heaven on earth! If you eat in the smaller places off the beaten track that the locals like then you'll get excellent cheap meal - have a lovely time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now