Talk

Advanced search

Anyone stayed in a Formule 1 hotel?

(20 Posts)
sophy Fri 11-Jul-08 14:08:37

Looking for somewhere cheap and clean to break our car journey through Europe in August.

The online reviews on tripadvisor are rather offputting, any mumsnetters stayed in one who could advise?

Thanks.

ivykaty44 Fri 11-Jul-08 14:09:19

Yes - never ever again, would rather eat straw and sleep in the car - thanks smile

hf128219 Fri 11-Jul-08 14:09:51

Where (geograpically) do you want to stay?

MrsRecycle Fri 11-Jul-08 14:09:55

I haven't but my dh stays in them all the time when he is doing removals throughout Europe. He seems to think they're ok.

MrsRecycle Fri 11-Jul-08 14:10:51

but then he doesn't like eating straw and sleeping the cab grin

sophy Fri 11-Jul-08 14:14:13

HF, Somewhere near Dunkirk, Bruges or Ghent.

Ivykaty, what was so dreadful?

TotalChaos Fri 11-Jul-08 14:15:18

I've only ever stayed in the Liverpool one. Wouldn't recommend it. The shared loos and showers could be grim. Go for an Ibis instead.

MrsRecycle Fri 11-Jul-08 14:28:19

oh the Ghent one is stuck in the middle of a dual carriageway in an industrial part of the town (driven past it many times).

sophy Fri 11-Jul-08 14:30:37

Ok won't stay there then!

MrsRecycle Fri 11-Jul-08 14:35:49

Ghent is really nice - you should find a hotel somewhere close to the centre of town quite cheap (with parking).

SqueakyPop Fri 11-Jul-08 14:44:54

We haven't stayed in Formule 1, but we have stayed in places one up from that (ie with private bathroom).

Things to be aware of:

They are often in industrial estates, with no staff present - you gain entry by using your credit card. I have had some friends who felt very spooked by this, and imagined various undesirable people lurking in the shadows.

There is no breakfast as such, and their locations do not lend themselves to a having something nearby.

If you are happy with this concept, it is literally somewhere to arrive at 10-11pm and crash for the night. It is not somewhere you would be happy to arrive in early evening. There is nothing to do in these places, and no room to swing a cat.

My favourite low-cost chain in France is Campanile - they usually have a very homely restaurant attached, and very easy to pass an evening with young children in tow.

ivykaty44 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:33:21

Well, have travelled and stayed in some dumps - so it isn't that I am really fussy.

but I suppose it was because I was with my 2 dd's and the room was basic mattresses very thin and there was no loo or even wash basin in the room (which isn't that bad) but the bathrooms were plastic - really naff horrid plastic with three year old boy peeing pressure for the water and wierd doors and light system that freaked me and dd1 out.

dd2 doesn't like washing, so not really a problem for her.

So if I was going to stay overnight would just hunt for nice B7B style place etc and not have horrid f1 again.

As squeky post - the setting is not great either - industrial park and nothing nearby.

Another tip - please note Sunday nights in france nothing is open, nowhere to get snacks or meal. Got caught out at Calais - got hungry sad

ivykaty44 Fri 11-Jul-08 15:34:35

ps - the bathrooms are not onsuite and everyone else uses them and gets them dirty - have nicer showers etc on campsites.

There is a nice campsite in Bruge

MrsBadger Fri 11-Jul-08 15:37:25

another vote for Campanile

Grav1 Fri 11-Jul-08 16:04:24

We used these and found them very good. Room for 2 adults and 2 children, ensuite and a good help yourself continental buffet breakfast.

http://www.villages-hotel.com

sophy Sat 12-Jul-08 09:45:18

Thanks for these helpful suggestions.

Will try and find a small independent hotel and failing that will book into Ibis or Campanile (couldn't get onto the villages hotel website).

ggglimpopo Sat 12-Jul-08 09:47:53

They are grim - although a few years ago I went to a wedding in Paris where the bride and groom had paid for the entire hotel and it was great fun - just like being back at University for the night.

But in other circumstances, avoid.

ggglimpopo Sat 12-Jul-08 09:49:27

Can I just add, the reception was NOT in the hotel ( I use the word hotel lightly) just the were rooms booked for the night for any lightweights who could not dance till dawn.

Crunchie Sun 13-Jul-08 16:28:31

We have used 'BandB' htels which are ok for a stopover. They have a small ensuite shower room and mezzanine floor for the kids. Recommended tbh

Lso done Campinile which was alos OK

sashmum Tue 15-Jul-08 17:41:40

We have booked B and B hotels for our overnight stop in France, hope they are ok as not stayed in them before, seem ok from what ive heard and quite reasonable for a family room

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now