Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Foreign holiday with 3mth old baby??

(10 Posts)
bonym Thu 03-Feb-05 10:21:57

Our baby is due at the end of March and we are trying to plan a summer holiday (we also have a 7 year-old). We are wondering if early July would be too soon to take a baby abroad and are balancing this concern with going a bit later (August) and the temperatures being much hotter - too hot for a young baby maybe? We were thinking of Italy or Greece and I'm hoping someone might have experience or advice of the best age to take a baby away and also any areas which might be good. Thanks!

Ameriscot2005 Thu 03-Feb-05 10:25:46

We went to Jamaica when #5 was 11 weeks old. It was July, but she was fine - no problems with the heat.

I think it is easiest to take a baby away while they are still exclusively on the boob.

myermay Thu 03-Feb-05 10:27:32

Message withdrawn

princesspeahead Thu 03-Feb-05 10:54:14

I took a 3 mth old to greece at the end of june early july and it was lovely! she spent most of the time asleep on a play mat in the shade of an olive tree. I would definitely take a younger baby earlier in the season than a 4 mth old in august, which really can be too hot it italy and greece, especially at night. go to greece, to an easily accessible island, by the sea, and you'll have a lovely time. make sure you bring a lie-flat pushchair so that it can sleep in comfort beside you while you eat your supper in a taverna at 10pm!

Chandra Thu 03-Feb-05 10:55:21

I think is easier when they are young, you may be breastfeeding or even with bottles that is very easy to manage, they don't want to run around the plane nor enter the control area, they don't throw tantrums, and don't complain about siting in a buggy while you are out and about. My only concern would be how hot it would be. I'm sure there should be parts in Italy and Greece that are not so terribly hot, it's just a matter of finding them.

ps> August is hotter than July, I would stick to july or probably late september (if that's possible)

moondog Thu 03-Feb-05 10:57:03

Go now go now go now go now go now go now go now....

moondog Thu 03-Feb-05 10:59:21

Er, obviously not now, but at the projected time. Sorry, got carried away there at the thought of what it's like when they are mobile.
As someone said on another thread 'a holiday is just childcare in a different place'.
Just returned from holiday with a 4 year old and a 6 mth old. Think I lay on a sunbed for about 1/2 hour in the whole week and it would have been EVEN less if the baby had been older!

Pidge Thu 03-Feb-05 11:02:58

Hi boneym! Ours will obviously be a bit older, because I'm due start of March, but we've just booked a holiday in the north of Spain for the start of August. We would definitely have gone in July if dp wasn't a teacher, so we're constrained by school hols. I think that's a great time for a holiday - 3 months was a real turning point for us last time round, and you should be able to really enjoy yourselves. Plus the baby is still so portable at that stage. Can't really advise on areas, I'm afraid.

gingerbear Thu 03-Feb-05 11:04:00

we took DD to Spaim when she was 3 months old. Easy travelling - she breastfed or slept the whole time on the plane.

Remember to keep her in the shade, and take a sunshade for the buggy (we had a Maclaren that is suitable from birth), easier to take on the plane than a heavy travel system. Also took her baby caar seat so we could hire a car. Not many car hire firms seemed to do the tiny car seats. (wrapped up in bubble wrap and put into the hold)
If you plan to bottle feed, check that you will be able to get a similar formula. Nappies are no problem - take a few for the journey and first day, then buy when you get there.

IMO it is the best time to take a baby. You will be in need of a holiday by then! Enjoy.

Casmie Thu 03-Feb-05 14:29:39

Sorry to be the only voice of dissent but we took ds1 and ds2 on holiday to Spain last September when ds2 was only 4 mths old and in retrospect it was a LOT of hard work. It probably didn't help that ds2 was a colicky baby and while he was over the worst of the colic by then, we had a horrible time trying to settle him in an unfamiliar place and cot. Plus the heat & sun was an effort (that young you shouldn't put suncream on them) - having to coordinate going out separately to avoid sun exposure and entertaining the older one was quite exhausting.

Sorry to sound so negative - we did enjoy much of it, but it wasn't very restful and in retrospect I don't think I'd have done it knowing what I know now. Needed another holiday to recover!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now