Talk

Advanced search

Mozzie spray advice please

(26 Posts)
janeite Sun 06-Jul-08 20:17:20

I went to buy mozzie spray today for our holiday in Greece but was totally bemused by all the different things on offer and came back with nothing.

Does anybody please have any recs? The children are 13 and 11, if that makes any difference.

Also - what to use if we do get bitten? Antihistamine (sp?) cream or something else? Thanks!

CrushWithEyeliner Sun 06-Jul-08 20:22:37

I use the bioforce spray v natural ingreidients and effective.

If you can bear it the best is home made garlic oil - they won't come NEAR you.

If have been stung use bicarb of soda, lemon juice, vinegar works magic but if really bad or infected an antihistamine cream.

janeite Sun 06-Jul-08 20:30:40

Bioforce - don't remember seeing that one; is it generally available in Boots or Superdrug do you know? Thanks for the bi-carb tip; not sure about packing white powder though!!!

CrushWithEyeliner Sun 06-Jul-08 21:34:50

ah lol

no health shops only i'm afraid....

janeite Sun 06-Jul-08 21:51:05

Will have a look, ta.

Still love your name by the way, though I think I've told you that before!

Any more recs anybody please?

kee27 Sun 06-Jul-08 22:45:08

oww i have jungel sumthing lol they say its the best one u can bye its for like whn eu go to tropical places and is gd i do have a plug in but carnt use it as my son has athma but all u do it plug it in to the wall and it lets off a spray in the room which keps the mozies away my sister has used her one and says the r gd

kee27 Sun 06-Jul-08 22:46:03

sorry just looked its jungel formula lol

Carmenere Sun 06-Jul-08 22:49:12

Anything with deet works but not safe for dc's I think. Bring antihistimine creams and tabs piriton ect as if you get an allergic reaction this will provide relief. wear long sleeves and trews going out at night. Get the plug in deterrent things.

cece Sun 06-Jul-08 22:51:28

I tend to buy mine when I get there, as I reason that the local mozzie repellant presumably repels the local mozzies well hmm

No evidence to prove this is true but it makes sense to me grin

Also you can use Tiger Balm to ease where you have been bitten.

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 07-Jul-08 11:47:00

thanks janeite lol x good luck with it xx

McDreamy Mon 07-Jul-08 11:48:40

I use Avon So Soft spray - not an anti mozzie spray but for some reason it works!!! Also eat marmite. I live in Cyprus and when all around are getting bitten I rarely get a nibble grin

PestoMonster Mon 07-Jul-08 11:49:17

I can recommend getting a clicker from Boots which you use to ease the itch after you've been bitten. Really good. Saves you scratching yourself to death.

Also, you should look out for mozzie stuff containing Deet if you want good protection. If you look carefully at the labels you will find some are suitable for children.

TsarChasm Mon 07-Jul-08 11:52:22

A 'clicker' Pesto? What's that please? I'm still nursing scars from a couple of weeks ago from France.

PestoMonster Mon 07-Jul-08 11:56:47

It's a little plastic yellow or blue thing that you put on your itch and then press it and it sends a little sort of electric spark onto your bite and itches it for you. It is really good. You may have to click on it a few times to relieve the pain/itch. You can also find them in the travel accessories bits in other shops too. Our local Asda usually sells them, so I'm guessing other supermarkets probably do too.

TsarChasm Mon 07-Jul-08 12:13:05

Well well, I've never seen such a thing. I'll have a look for one of those, thanks Pesto! smile

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 07-Jul-08 12:28:53

Avon Skin so soft works because it contains citronella in the oils.
Citronella keeps bugs away, hence you can buy citronella candles for outdoors.
My retired friend has umpteen holidays all over the world every year and used to try other 'fly sprays' but always comes back to the Avon stuff. Its cheap, its effective, and you can make sure you are totally covered by using the bath oil as well.
It doesn't kill the bugs it just repells them. You can order it online via Avon website if you don't have an avon lady.
Avon have never actually said 'this is an insect repellant' as they are selling it as a body moisturiser. But everyone knows its a fantastic insect repellant.

Deet contains something that attacks the respiratory system of the bugs, so anyone breathing the stuff in will be breathing in something designed to attack your repiratory system.
Def not good for kids, but why use it on adults either?

hanaflowerisnothana Mon 07-Jul-08 12:36:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PestoMonster Mon 07-Jul-08 12:44:49

Also, be careful when sitting on painted furniture. Last year in Barbados was dining in a brightly painted restaurant and leant back against the chair (as you do, between courses). When I got up to go to the loo later, DH noticed that the insect repellant had dissolved the paint on the chair back, and I was now covered with paint shock shock

PestoMonster Mon 07-Jul-08 12:45:29

Was wearing a backless top btw.

janeite Mon 07-Jul-08 17:31:26

Omg Pestomonster - that says something very scary about the ingredients they must put in it!

Thanks ever so much for all of the advice everybody. Jungle Formula is a name I remember seeing in Superdrug and I did see those clicker things and had no idea what they were.

Is that DEET stuff only necessary for tropical climes do you know? Am a bit scared of what I'm hearing!

I think I'll get a clicker thing and a plug in (although I've not actually seen any of these on my travels, I did have one years ago and it was pretty effective, so I'll have another look). Will also get antihistamine tablets and cream and look again at sprays to see what's suitable for children.

PestoMonster Mon 07-Jul-08 18:56:12

Tis good to be prepared. Hope you have a lovely bite-free holiday grin

janeite Mon 07-Jul-08 19:07:02

Thank you!

Does anybody else have any mozzie recs / stories?

kid Sun 13-Jul-08 20:41:06

I saw some mosquito patches while in Dominican Republic recently. I opted to use a band which worked quite well for me. I went from getting 5 bites in one day, to 1 bite for the remainder of the holiday.

My MIL used the mosquito patches and I don't think she got bit. I noticed they are available on Ebay.

katebee Mon 14-Jul-08 10:40:32

I used mosi repellent wrist and ankle bands on hols in Kenya a few years ago. I wasn't bitten until I took them off on the last night of the holiday! So I think they are very effective however goodness knows what chemicals they have in them...

Janeite, 10 years of living in Africa and the only spray we have found to be totally effective and natural is mosiguard. We have used it against the world's toughest mosquitoes and on the tiniest babies! It's difficult to find in the shops but these people usually have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now