Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

where is your favourite holiday destination that isn't full of touristy shoite?

(33 Posts)
brimfull Thu 03-Jul-08 21:55:10

just got back from Zante,nice break,nice villa but what a load of tack.

where can we go that is nice and doesn't have loads of shops selling the same stuff with molly fucking malones irish bar on every corner

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 21:56:50

Just got back from Le Marche georgeous!!!

Fimbo Thu 03-Jul-08 21:57:07

Ah, we had the same problem in Menorca - Cala N'forcat/Los Delfines to be precise. If we go again it will be to Gala Caldana (that's till Menorca).

Hope some suggestions come in soon.

brimfull Thu 03-Jul-08 22:00:58

floaty- did you stay in villa?

Sazisi Thu 03-Jul-08 22:01:12

I found Naples in Italy refreshingly not full of touristy shite. Couldn't say the same for nearby Sorrento though!

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 22:06:03

Teas we have to admit we went without childern (treat from my fantastic in laws ) but would def go back with children although not to this villa probabaly.we stayed here
www.vintagetravel.co.uk/villa_details.cfm?p_id=463

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 22:06:03

Teas we have to admit we went without childern (treat from my fantastic in laws ) but would def go back with children although not to this villa probabaly.we stayed here
www.vintagetravel.co.uk/villa_details.cfm?p_id=463

brimfull Thu 03-Jul-08 22:10:23

looks gorgeous floaty
quite ££££ though
is that £1450 for one week?

BettySpaghetti Thu 03-Jul-08 22:14:15

Ile de Re was lovely when we went a few years ago.

Lovely little towns, villages, markets, restaurants, beaches etc but no tat

brimfull Thu 03-Jul-08 22:17:28

great
will take note of these suggestions for next yrs holiday

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 22:18:24

was not as mush as that for the week we went,one reason why I would go somewhere else if we has the children.Actuallt though we hardly spent anything whilst there we were expecting eating out etc to be more expensive with euro etc butr actually was bvery cheap .It was the forst time in 15 years that we had been away for more than a weekend without the dc so a bit of a treat!

floaty Thu 03-Jul-08 22:19:21

Sorry combination of awful typing and battery running out on wireless keyboard

bobblehat Thu 03-Jul-08 22:22:32

We went to Lake Garda in Italy this year, a place called riva del garda. It is a bit touristy, but it's more aimed at germans.

It depends what type of holiday you want, this is not a beach holiday place, but if you're up for a bit of walking, cycling etc it's really beautiful. We found it fairly cheap too.

SubRosa Thu 03-Jul-08 23:00:25

If you don't want a beach holiday, go to Bavaria. Good food, fantastic scenery and friendly locals.

Gingerbear Thu 03-Jul-08 23:03:18

Oliva or Benicassim, Costa Blanca. Fabuloso beach. Totally Spanish. Not a brit in sight. You will need to hablar Espangnol though.

Gingerbear Thu 03-Jul-08 23:05:13

My absolute favourite place is Hoi An in Vietnam.
But tis a bugger to get to with the kids in tow.

brimfull Thu 03-Jul-08 23:22:52

bavaria sounds interesting

will leave vietnam for childless hols smile

heavy Thu 03-Jul-08 23:53:35

just got back from sardinia. very nice beaches for children. mainly italian families. ds got his cheeks pinched a lot (in friendly Italian type way). would defo go again.

DirtySexyMummy Thu 03-Jul-08 23:57:31

St Tropez is lovely and whilst good for visitors, its not 'touristy' at all, no tack to be seen.

Also Andalucia, was beautiful there and again, no touristy tack.

aznerak Fri 04-Jul-08 13:11:49

Definitely Languedoc in Sth of France. Gorgeous - full of vineyards, stunning landscape, nesteld between the sea and the Black mountains. Lots more to do than just beach type stuff. Not at all touristy - still very rural and real France.

bablyess Fri 04-Jul-08 14:29:20

Bordeaux, France. Great beaches, weekend markets aimed at the French, very few English tourists...lovely countryside. I love the place.

We hired a gite and flew over on BMI.

The drawback is the weather. It can be a bit unpredictable.

We have friends there, so they help us to get over the rainy days..

Sunshinemummy Fri 04-Jul-08 14:35:26

Tuscany - beautiful mountains and countryside. Hardly any English people.

MaloryIsCrossWithJohnnie Fri 04-Jul-08 14:40:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brimfull Fri 04-Jul-08 19:55:13

right I think france or italy is the answer

choucroutegarnie Fri 04-Jul-08 20:08:59

Corsica. It's France, but reluctantly. They've had a separatist movement at work for decades, with the occasional bout of 'terror' (i.e. setting fire to restaurants, that sort of thing).

As a result, no serious developer has ever attempted a large-scale project so there are no large resorts apart from one, rather low-key Club Med on the west coast.

It's wild, mountainous and extraordinarily beautiful, particularly the northern 'finger', the west coast and the southern tip. There's a bit of a wild west atmosphere in parts - it's a bit like France was in the 50s, with everyone hunting on Sundays and making their own salami.

Easyjet flies to Bastia, cars are relatively cheap to rent and there are gites galore.

It's fabulous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now