Talk

Advanced search

First beach holiday with a toddler?

(16 Posts)
Earlybird Fri 28-Jan-05 14:57:43

DD (3.11) has said repeatedly that she wants to go to the beach, as she's never been. She's now said it enough, that it's clearly not an impulsive throw-away comment. So, I'm starting to think about planning a trip.

DD and I would go on our own, as I'm a single parent. I want it to be somewhere warm/hot, with nice sand, and the ability to wade/swim in the water (no rough surf or freezing water). Would like good food easily accessible, and also would like the option of childcare or kids clubs (so that I won't have to be dd's playmate every moment). I'm not opposed to the idea of renting a car, but also like the idea of a "campus" location with all amenities on site. Don't want it to be scary expensive, but also am not on a strict budget.

I've wondered if a Mark Warner type holiday would suit us, but would love to hear negative/positive stories from anyone who's been. Also would love to hear about specific villages that you love/hate.

Anyone got any other favourite places that they're willing to share? Any other tips for making it a fun/relaxing break?

lowcalCOD Fri 28-Jan-05 14:58:01

MENORCA DEFFO

Earlybird Fri 28-Jan-05 14:59:46

Coddy - you're fast! Any special hotel/complex?

lowcalCOD Fri 28-Jan-05 15:01:04

I dont know as if you go outside school hgols it alot calmer
we went to son bou and the beacj was great really shallow and enough activity in the evening to be diverting but not frantic
dont nwo how exclsive you want eihter look at son bou gardens int he main agents brochures

hoxtonchick Fri 28-Jan-05 15:03:11

if you want to stay in the uk we had a lovely holiday last year (with 3 toddlers), at woolacombe bay. gorgeous beach, sweet little village. we stayed at the woolacombe bay hotel which had great facilities for the chidren - indoor & outdoor pools, adventure playground, kids club. we stayed in self catering flats or you could stay in the hotel. if you want warm/hot you're looking at high summer though...

Satine Fri 28-Jan-05 15:05:49

My parents have just been to Guernsey and said that it was ideal for small children - sheltered, shallow beaches, warm sea (due to Gulf stream) and lots to do in a small space. Can't give you any more details, I'm afraid, but you can fly or get the ferry. HTH

Surfermum Fri 28-Jan-05 15:07:41

If you wanted to do a day trip, Bournemouth ticks your boxes. In the school holidays they have free kids clubs on the beach. The water is not as warm as the Med though!

Earlybird Fri 28-Jan-05 18:57:02

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any suggestions from the night crowd?

myermay Fri 28-Jan-05 19:08:57

Message withdrawn

chatee Fri 28-Jan-05 19:30:27

hotel presidente in portinatx, ibiza it's a thomson super family hotel...right near a lovely main beach and with good facilities too...
we took dd for her first holiday and will hopefully return there for ds's first holiday abroard later this year...
hope that helps

Merlot Fri 28-Jan-05 19:33:56

Puerto Pollensa Majorca or Cala Galdana Menorca

Cant recommend any specific hotels that are good for SP though

Posey Fri 28-Jan-05 19:48:22

We went to Jersey last year. A fortnight of glorious weather, beautiful beaches (particularly St. Brelades Bay) and a truly relaxing holiday. Only 30minutes flight from Southampton which was a huge bonus for us. But its not particularly cheap, in fact its quite an expensive place and the weather is "guaranteed" like a lot of Med. countries.

Posey Fri 28-Jan-05 19:49:05

Should have said the weather isn't guaranteed.

Earlybird Sat 29-Jan-05 17:34:08

These are all super suggestions. A friend suggested Corsica and Tunisia might be good possibilities. Anyone here have experience (good or bad) of either place? Specific suggestions for hotels much appreciated.

lapsedrunner Sat 29-Jan-05 20:33:46

Corsica is fantastic but went there before ds was born. Would love to go back amd beleive www.simplycorsica.co.uk have apartments with childcare. Otherwise how about Normandy. We stayed near Omaha beach last summer (ds was 1.10), fanstasic sand but not too hot. Can recommend booking direct through www.gites-de-france.fr.

lowcalCOD Sat 29-Jan-05 20:36:12

yes she wont be a todd;er then will she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now