Talk

Advanced search

Place to stay in Dartmouth - without kids!!

(11 Posts)
Maudy Fri 28-Jan-05 13:32:03

I'm hoping to take DP to Dartmouth for his 40th birthday in March. I've booked a table at The New Angel as we've both been addicted to watching about it on TV and last night DP said how lovely it looked and how he would like to go some time. Booked a table first thing this morning!.

Now all we need is somewhere to stay. I'm looking for a hotel or B&B that is simple, pretty, romantic something like that. Any ideas?

Maudy Fri 28-Jan-05 16:11:54

bump

eidsvold Tue 01-Feb-05 09:29:12

The Little Admiral - dh and I stayed there for our first holiday together - about 4 years ago. We ate at a little restuarant called 'the Cherub Inn' very cosy ( small) only takes a few couples - very romantic.

hth

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 01-Feb-05 09:54:34

Yep, I used to live there and I'd say The Little Admiral too, it's lovely, relatives of mine stayed there and really liked it. BUT! They are child friendly, which I think is a very good thing, but if you're away without children might you prefer somewhere they're not allowed? Having said that I shouldn't think there will be many there in March in term time (and hey, you wouldn't be responsible for them!) so I'd go for The Little Admiral I think. The Dart Marina might have a nice penthouse overlooking the harbour or The Castle, while a bit grotty in terms of bars, seem to have refurbed their rooms recently so you could look and request a specific one if it looked like the sort of thing you were looking for. here's their site, The Castle or The Little Admiral here or The Dart Marina .

If you're there a bit longer, nice things to do: watch the sun go down with a drink outside the Dartmouth Arms on Bayards Cove (this is where I met my now dp!); have a pretty good pub lunch at Dartmouth's oldest pub (I think), The Cherub; cross the river on the car ferry and walk from the lower ferry to the higher ferry (1 mile riverside stroll, it's signposted on the Kingswear side) and cross back to Dartmouth on the higher ferry (The Dart Marina is right by The Higher Ferry). For river views the car and passenger ferries are MUCH cheaper than the tours you can take. I've been watching that programme too and larfing with a kind of 'ooh watch them scuttle back to London when they realise they'll only make money in the summer' shadenfreude (sp?). Sorry, I left Devon unhappy at living there but I think it's a great place to visit!

eidsvold Tue 01-Feb-05 13:39:06

yes the cherub ( if I remember ) is the oldest pub in Dartmouth - gorgeous.. even just for a drink.

We were at the little admiral during summer and it seemed empty!!

Maudy Wed 02-Feb-05 17:25:49

Thanks you two, I have looked at the Little Admiral and it looks lovely. Unfortunatley DP told me he can't go away that weekend due to work so I have had to cancel the meal. Shame as I was really looking forward to it

Oh well another time.

WWW - being really nosey (and tell be to bog off if you want) but why were you unhappy in Dartmouth and where did you go to?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 02-Feb-05 17:44:51

Maudy, I hope you have a lovely time! We moved for lots of reasons, most of them detailed here (bet you're thinking I wasn't that interested wwww!) and we live in Bristol now. Main reasons though:

Crap salaries in Devon, couldn't live on it
Ds goes to ex dh in london every other weekend and since we meet halfway it was a LOT of driving for me and ex dh every other weekend, we used to meet at Bristol, now we do one journey each
Ds is half Indian, I didn't want to live in a mono culture. Lots of prejudice of all kinds in Devon (imo, ime, of course)
Boredom! No culture, lack of facilities
I wanted a home birth for dd and wasn't getting much support there (surprisingly, it's the highest level of home birth in the UK) so we moved when I was 34 weeks pregnant with her

So that's our story!

weightwatchingwaterwitch Wed 02-Feb-05 17:46:03

Oh, and I like Bristol and only ended up in Devon accidentally really. Stayed 3 years though (dp is from there).

janeybops Wed 02-Feb-05 17:50:48

try the dart marina hotel - just a short walk from the restaurant i think. my dh and i went there and it was very nice....

http://www.dartmarinahotel.com/

eidsvold Wed 02-Feb-05 22:18:57

if you can rebook - try the cherub for dinner - I am sure it is only about four or five coupls that can fit in the upstairs dining area - anyway I just remember it being very cosy and romantic and great food.

Maudy Fri 04-Feb-05 16:43:04

Well, well, well WWW I am a Bristol gal too!! Not born and bred and only been here a couple of years. In the back of my mind I thought I remembered you were living round here. Have been lingering around MN a while now but never seem to have the time to post as frequently as others (and that is in no way a diss as I would love too but DP plays games on the home computer and I never seem to get a look in and at work I have to be very suruptitious and only post when there is no one around - like now!)

Glad you are enjoying living in Bristol when did you move here?

Thanks for all the Dartmouth advice everyone, Hopefully we can re-book later in the year. DP has now gone off the idea of going to the New Angel so we'll probably end up somewhere completely different. Watch this space for advice on hotels/restaurants in the Outer Hebrides!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now