Talk

Advanced search

When can dp and I go for our last childless holiday?

(21 Posts)
charleypops Fri 28-Jan-05 11:56:58

We want to go somewhere next month, somewhere nice and warm. Nice restaurants, interesting markets/bazaars. And (dare I say it - romantic?) Not a massively long haul.

No where near beery night life or family orientated - save that for the next 14 years!

I'm 20 weeks pg.

Thank you!

lockets Fri 28-Jan-05 12:00:39

Message withdrawn

soapbox Fri 28-Jan-05 12:06:02

We went to Lisbon for a long weekend when I was expecting DD1. Weather was nice in Feb and lots to do and see but not too long a flight.

Hope you have a lovely time, wherever you end up going

sweetkitty Fri 28-Jan-05 12:08:51

we went to New York when I was 27 weeks, ok weather was OK (it was May) but it was fantastic!

mrsflowerpot Fri 28-Jan-05 12:15:37

My sister lives near Barcelona and it snowed last week , wouldn't count on it being particularly warm in Feb (lovely though). Southern Spain might be better - Granada perhaps? Ryanair have just started flying direct there.

Or what about somewhere like Marrakesh? still not too long a flight.

welshmum Fri 28-Jan-05 12:27:19

Charley I agree with MrsFP - DH and I had a fantastic holiday in Marrakesh before dd. Loads to do - really great shopping, some truly fantastic restaurants and places to stay and lovely, warm sunshine.
Now I've written all that down I'm thinking I might try it with my lot.....

charleypops Fri 28-Jan-05 12:51:37

No chance of NY - dp's wallet would die (even with the exchange rate!! )

Never been to mainland Spain, so I'll have a look at Barcelona an Granada (I'm a bit scared of Ryanair though )

Lisbon sounds nice, thank Soapbox

Hmm... Marrakesh - nearly went there last year with a girlfriend (went to Italy instead though), could do with some interesting light shades...

KatieMac Fri 28-Jan-05 12:53:19

We went to Maderia (with our 7yo)

It was fab - but we wish we had left her behind

Very few children.....no beery bars

Beautiful scenery, interesting walks, great trips out, (nothing for kids to do ) but exactly what you need.

Lots of walking

CountessDracula Fri 28-Jan-05 13:02:30

Istanbul?
Not v warm though but great place

HandbagAddiction Fri 28-Jan-05 13:07:51

I know you mentioned not wanting to go massively long haul, but dh and I went to Barbados when I was 24 weeks pregnant and it was great. Rang BA beforehand and told them I was pregnant so they allocated me a bulk head seat with loads of leg room - flight was only 8 hours and didn't feel too bad at all. Went to an all inclusive sporty type place - so DH spent then entire week waterskiing, playing tennis, sailing, etc. whilst I relaxed on my sun lounger in semi-shade reading books or was in the spa getting massages, reflexology, facials, etc. A really excellent holiday - would definitely recommend it.

charleypops Fri 28-Jan-05 14:25:46

Someone in RL suggested Madiera a while ago - I'd forgotten, so that's another one to check.
I'm not sure if I have the energy at the moment for Istanbul, I'd love to go at some point in the future though - it's the sort of place I'd like to take a kid, I think they'd find it fascinating!

Ooh handbag - you've got me thinking now! Thing is, I'd like to go somewhere like that for at least a fortnight, and dp's only around for about a week (shouldn't really be taking any time out at all! )

jofeb04 Fri 28-Jan-05 14:56:24

Tunisia, lovely and warm (well, it was in May), its only about 3-4 hours flight (well, what i can remember!!), and it is relatively cheap compared to most other places

charleypops Fri 28-Jan-05 16:33:54

Hmm - Tunisia do nice light shades too...

twiglett Fri 28-Jan-05 16:36:25

Florence .. it has to be Florence

fabulous food, fabulous scenery, fabulous people

mmmmmm

charleypops Fri 28-Jan-05 19:56:50

ooh, I'd forgotten about Florence! Might be a bit cool for what I had in mind though this time of year..I'll check the temps

ediemay Fri 28-Jan-05 20:17:36

Another vote for Florence, also Vienna. Antwerp has wonderful shops, markets and cafes. Have a wondeful holiday wherever you end up and congratulatiuons on the pregnancy.

gingerbear Fri 28-Jan-05 20:19:14

Seville is a wonderful place, fab places to visit, great places to eat and trendy tapas bars.

I went to Florence in February. Fab place, few crowds, but it snowed!

Used easyjet and Ryanair - no probs with either.

charleypops Sat 29-Jan-05 15:55:45

Thanks Edie and Ginger! I'll add Seville and Antwerp to my list of posssibles

KatieinSpain Sat 29-Jan-05 16:05:40

I'd really recommend Granada, too. It is a beautiful, small, city. There are lovely bars, cafes, squares. The Alhambra is amazing. Cordoba is just down the road and is a must.

Mind you, if you are looking for guaranteed sun, how about one of the Canaries?

I liked Madeira too and it is definitely an adult sort of place. There are beautiful walks, lovely food and yummy portugese brandy - well, it even smells good !

lapsedrunner Sat 29-Jan-05 20:29:07

Not warm but can highly recommend Vienna, very romantic in the snow and lots of cafes to warm up in over an apple strudel or sacher torte!

charleypops Sun 30-Jan-05 09:49:15

Mmm - and Viennese fingers..

Of course, the Canaries are just a short hop, and I do like the idea of guaranteed sun! I'm seriously suffering from a touch of the of old SAD syndrome at the moment.

I'm going to take a list of all these suggestions to some travel agents this week and grab some brochures

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now