Talk

Advanced search

dirty weekend in london

(25 Posts)
mumofelise Tue 25-Jan-05 16:55:01

dh and myself are going to london on 18th january for the weekend to see mary poppins. we are staying at the lancaster gate hotel in the hyde park area. anybody recomend good restaurant/things to do

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 25-Jan-05 17:21:22

Ooh, I was proposed to in that hotel once! Can only think of restaurants a bit away, what about Osteria Basilico? I haven't eaten there for years but read a good review recently, I have fond memories of it. Or if you want posher, there's Kensington place, but there are mixed reviews here or you could just wander and find a chinese restaurant on Queensway in Bayswater, which is walking distance. Have a lovely time!

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 17:24:02

If it's a dirty weekend i suggest you don't leave th hotel and visit this website before you leave!

mumofelise Tue 25-Jan-05 18:00:33

mary poppins on the 18th so have to leave the room then but will def look at the website thomcat

mumofelise Tue 25-Jan-05 18:44:14

anyone been in this hotel

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 21:26:46

Just taped you a whole post and lost it, how annoying.

I was saying...... not aware of hotel sorry but looked on web and looks nice. Take candles, oil birner, massage oil, whatever floats your boat, and who cares what the hotel is like

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:27:21

www - " once" you have been prorpsed to more htan once?

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 25-Jan-05 21:45:18

Cod, I have indeed been proposed to more than once. I think it's about 5 times.

lowcalCOD Tue 25-Jan-05 21:45:34

NO!
you fox! think this needs a thread

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 25-Jan-05 21:46:20

Actually, just counted, it's at least six times. Sorry for hijack moelise!

essbee Tue 25-Jan-05 21:58:20

Message withdrawn

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 22:05:21

6 times. Right - whatever to the hyjack - spill your guts you slut

essbee Tue 25-Jan-05 22:06:20

Message withdrawn

weightwatchingwaterwitch Tue 25-Jan-05 22:11:48

OK, then I must go to bed! (baaaad night)

1st time, first ever boyfriend. Pearl and silver ring
2nd time, was 21, guy I lived with who had unfortunate handlebar moustache. Nasty, nasty blue stone ring
3rd time, lover in Mauritius, promised I'd go back and marry him, didn't. No ring
4th time, boyfriend who I thought was the love of my life, he later beat me up and I left him, lucky escape. No ring.
5th time, proposal was in said hotel. We then moved in together. When I said 'when shall we get married honey?' he said, 'ooh, I thought FIVE YEARS time?' I moved out a month later. Ring was looked at but never bought. Realised I had to move out when I was asking jewellers which stone had the highest resale value - totally true this!
6th time, ex dh, our ds was 3 months old when we got married. No engagement ring, just a wedding ring
7th time, dp. We've been together 5 years, our dd is 1 and we might eventually get around to getting married this year. Have been wearing the diamond ring for 3 years.

I don't think I've forgotten anyone! Sorry for massive hijack mumotelise!

ThomCat Tue 25-Jan-05 22:26:22

www bloody hell woman, what do you do to these fellas, and i mean that with the utmost respect? LOL. Well hope no 7 will be for keeps hon'.

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 25-Jan-05 22:55:01

I can recommend Clarkes on Kensington Church Street, not TOO far from where you are staying. Lovely restaurant, super food.

I went to Kensington Place about 3 years ago and was v disappointed with the food which took forever to arrive.

batters Wed 26-Jan-05 11:57:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Azure Wed 26-Jan-05 12:00:36

I saw Mary Poppins on Monday night - fabulous.

mumofelise Wed 26-Jan-05 19:34:51

azure i can't wait i've seen clips on the tv - it's looks fab

oxocube Wed 26-Jan-05 19:46:08

www . Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oxocube Wed 26-Jan-05 19:46:56

Oh, and also that your life has been so much more eventful than mine!!!

Prufrock Wed 26-Jan-05 21:34:54

My god www- was it really three years ago? I can remember the proposal.

mumofelise Thu 27-Jan-05 17:39:56

hey it's my dirty weekend - get your own thread

mumofelise Thu 27-Jan-05 21:36:11

bump

sis Sun 30-Jan-05 13:44:26

mumofelise - sorry, I've only just recovered from reading about WWW's proposals! If the hotel you are staying at is the one I am thinking of (just opposite the park and very close to Lancaster Gate Stn, then you are very close to Notting Hill/Portabello Road market etc. You will also be close to Queensway (there is an ice rink there) - some good Chinese restaurants there, Whiteley shopping centre has the shops, restaurants and cinema and there is a vibrant feel to the area - lots of middle Eastern restaurants on the other side of Whiteleys too. Across the Park, there is Albert Hall (I think they do tours) and High Street Kensington and, of course, Oxford street is just up the road too. All of the above is based on you staying at the hotel I am thinking it is.

I assume you are going in Feb and not Jan as your first post said!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: