Talk

Advanced search

Car Rental for a week in Spain?

(19 Posts)
spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 13:09:37

Any recommendations?

Anyone know roughly how much it would cost?

suzywong Tue 25-Jan-05 13:10:18

pantantpantpantpant

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 13:10:35

Hi, donk!

Car hire in Spain is incredibly cheap. When are you going?

spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 13:11:08

madame i'm not signing into msn as i am waiting for some bastard removal men to turn up (they were sposed to be here over an hour ago) so please don't feel unloved

beachyhead Tue 25-Jan-05 13:11:12

www.holidayautos.co.uk is good

spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 13:11:47

ooh hello jan and glad to hear it's cheap, we're going end of feb for a week, need to pick up and drop off at alicante airport and we only need a little car

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 13:12:28

Europa - we've used them twice and they have been fine.

spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 13:14:18

ta for the recommendations

would you recommend getting an automatic to make the driving easier?

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 13:16:36

carjet - this one shows prices on first page. £68 a week for a Ka - Europa will be about the same I think.

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 13:20:27

It puts the price up a lot - a manual Focus is £96, an automatic one is £138. You get used to doing it all on the wrong side quite quickly (I try to change gear with the door handle the first time I get in each day but it wears off )

spacedonkey Tue 25-Jan-05 13:26:46

excellent, I thought it would be twice that price

think i'll go for a manual, i haven't driven an automatic for years so i might find that even more confusing

jane313 Tue 25-Jan-05 18:53:08

Has anyone used carjet? They had a cheaper quote than the others but I worried that all the cheap companies I found I had never heard of,

Sorry to hijack your thread!

BadHair Tue 25-Jan-05 18:56:59

Can only say don't use Europcar - booked them for my boss once and he had a tiny little prang in it (scuffed paint) but they took him to the cleaners AND scammed his credit card. That was from Nice though - the Alicante branch are probably not such a bunch of workshy fops.

JanH Tue 25-Jan-05 20:00:14

jane, I haven't used carjet, but if you read the "About Us" section for carjet and Europa they are identical, so they are different bits of the same company. We have used Europa (not Europcar) twice and they are great, no probs. (Mind you no accidents to deal with either so I can't vouch for that.)

The bit you have to watch is that you get the car with a full tank, which you pay for obv (and at quite a high price) and then have to do your best to bring it back empty - bit of a scam but what can you do, they all seem to operate that way there.

Merlot Tue 25-Jan-05 23:11:59

I've used Carjet (3 times now in Majorca, Minorca and Mainland Spain) and they were brilliant!

jane313 Wed 26-Jan-05 11:42:04

thanks everyone. yes I think I came across that car full thing once before.

Columbus1 Wed 26-Jan-05 12:41:47

My husband is Spanish so we go a lot and always use a company called:

all-inclusive-carhire,com

Always good and pretty cheap.

And they do free child seats (although I did take my own the first time until I has seen the condition of them!)

Good luck..

spacedonkey Wed 26-Jan-05 13:57:25

@ "workshy fops"

SenoraPostrophe Wed 26-Jan-05 14:02:42

Jan - really? every car I've ever hired in Spain comes with an empty tank, and you have to do your best to find a garage on fumes.

Watch out for resellers who send you a "booking received" rather than a "confirmation" email - sometimes they overbook.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: