Talk

Advanced search

Manor Adventure activity holidays

(9 Posts)
Skribble Mon 24-Jan-05 17:58:32

Hi I am looking for any ones opinion on Manor Adventure.(UK). It looks good value with lots of activities included. Or if you know of a similar holiday where there is a full childrens and adults programme.

We will have a 5yr, 8yr, 11yr, 14, and 16yr old.
I was considering Haven but you can't leave the younger ones at the clubs you have to stay. I don't fancy watching my 5 yr old coluring in and dressing up far a week. I think they would appreciate more challenging outdoor activities any way.

Ameriscot2005 Mon 24-Jan-05 18:10:08

Don't know anything about Manor Adventure, but from what you've described, it sounds very much like the place we went last year: Barton Hall in Torquay - the programme was called Active Families.

There are tons of activities that you sign up for in advance (you do it even before you arrive, and they print out a timetable for you). You just say how many places you want on each activity, and if any of your kids are not taking part, they can go into a club (clubs run from age 5 to teens, with evening programmes from approx. age 8 and up. There is entertainment in the evening too.

It's full board - school dinnerish, but with plenty of healthy choices.

It's not too expensive either - it cost us about £1700 for 8 people (IIRC), and the only extra was our rather large bar bill . I would have happily paid a bit more for the place to be a little less scruffy, but this was the only downside.

Active Families

Let me know if you want more info.

Skribble Mon 24-Jan-05 20:27:01

I had looked at the active familes, but the dates don't seem to match our school holidays. The prices are similar to Manor Adventure. how many activities did you get each day or in total? Is the centre exclusive to families during these holidays? Were the days well orgainised or were you hanging about a lot?

I had read some bad reviews for PGL and this had put me off when I saw they were connected. One thing they all commented on was the organisation and that the leaders (maybe not instructors were very young). Plus I have to say I like good food so I'm a bit worried about bolied eggs that required a saw and chips re-heated a night from lunchtime.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 25-Jan-05 08:28:34

There were four activity sessions each day - 2 in the morning and two in the afternoon. You could sign up for as much as you liked, and there were walk-on activities too. You could have something to "do" all the time, if you wanted.

The site only has families during the summer. There are adults-only weeks at other times of the year.

It was very well organised. There was a co-ordinator who ran the whole thing along with a team of helpers. For each group of activities, there was a hierachy of staff to make sure that everything ran smoothly and that they had all the equipment they needed.

The site was run by 3d last year, so I have no idea what it will be like under PGL. The managers there worked full-time, all-year round; some of the instructors were only there for the summer, but they were trained and knew what they were doing; others seemed to be Aussies on their gap year.

We had no concerns about the activities or the instruction. Safety was a very high priority. The only downside for me was the "hotel" facilities - but that was reflected in the price of the holiday.

Skribble Wed 26-Jan-05 22:41:26

Thanks Ameriscot

I will have another look at Active families, Manor Adventures dates aren't great either.

Plus Dh looked in horror when I suggested a summer holiday "too much work on". I can't take them out of school so looks like I might just go with my friend and her kids. He wants a med beach holiday in the winter .

Skribble Fri 28-Jan-05 14:09:57

I'm having second thoughts no one has heard of manor adventure never mind been there.

Some one here must have!!! Please share.

Catan Fri 28-Jan-05 17:20:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skribble Sat 29-Jan-05 00:13:32

It was set up in 1991 in Shropshire. I don't know if that is near Ross on Wye.

Skribble Fri 04-Feb-05 00:13:24

Bumpbump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now