Advanced search

Are sunparks in Belgium any good?

(11 Posts)
grumpyfrumpy Mon 24-Jan-05 14:44:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpyfrumpy Wed 26-Jan-05 12:09:25

miggy Wed 26-Jan-05 14:54:15

Yes, they are great if you like that sort of thing. I love it because the kids really enjoy it but DH always whines a bit "whats wrong with a hotel...etc etc". Have not been to centreparc in uk but have been to the french one and sunparks are just as good if not better and much cheaper. We have never found it crowded.
Very similar concept and accomodation to centreparks. Worth booking a deluxe villa or if you have young children, the family one has a little downstairs playroom with toys.
There are good supermarkets and basic restaurants, not a huge choice and the one main restaurant does theme nights which can be a bit fraught. First time we went dd was a tiny baby and the dinner involved little frying pans full of spitty oil, over little burners, and you had to try and cook raw meat and veg whilst juggling a tiny baby and stopping 2 boys sticking their hands in it-fraught to say the least but a kindly german lady took her off for a walk round the restaurant for me.
We find that what works best is to drive via france, stock up on lovely goodies at a french hypermarket and then eat out at lunch times. Nice thing there is snack restaurant is open to the pool so can just leave pool and sit around in swimming stuff and have snacky lunch.
We have stayed at several. The nicest one (sorry cant remember the name) is near a beach and a teme park called "plopsaland" (yes really!). The beach is lovely, big wide esplanade where you can hire bikes, even little family ones that seat whole family, and cycle along. Big swathes of proper diging sand full of kids building huge castles ( they sell lovely wooden and metal spades) and lined with restaurants/creperies with outside seating shielded by glass walls. Plopsaland was great too.
so yes-would go!

grumpyfrumpy Wed 26-Jan-05 15:57:15

miggy Wed 26-Jan-05 18:38:09

The first time we went, after the fat spitting experience, we felt a bit trapped and went out to see what we could find. The only "restaurant" within walking distance was a smoky place where everything was fried with chips. TBH (and I really hope I dont offend belgian mumsnetters here) I dont think rural belgium is known for cuisine
The beach is near but driving distance (or perhaps cycle if your kids are older.)
The food isnt dire, survivable for a weekend and just as good as centreparks. Just dont go expecting too much! Great for kids-kids menus and plenty of stuff they liked.
The "thermae" is exciting. On one trip we got free tickets with our villa, wasnt till we got there that realised it was a naked spa-Had to go then as dared by DH but gave kids big lecture about not staring etc! Actually quite a bonding family experience

grumpyfrumpy Wed 26-Jan-05 18:50:12

Ameriscot2005 Wed 26-Jan-05 18:56:14

Never heard of this before, but had a quick gander around their site.

One of the good things I spotted was that they don't necessarily have British half-terms as peak times. This year, our kids are off w/c 14/2, which is one of the cheaper times for Sunparks. I also started the booking process (for research purposes only), and they are available at that time. I doubt you could book CP this late on, especially for a large family. And for only £269 for a long weekend.

Tempting

Ameriscot2005 Wed 26-Jan-05 18:57:18

But no one will know you there, grumpy, unless there's a sudden rush of m'netters

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 18:59:29

Went there years ago to De han and it was really good

Tessiebear Wed 26-Jan-05 18:59:29

Went there years ago to De han and it was really good

grumpyfrumpy Wed 26-Jan-05 19:00:43

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: