Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on fear of flying?

(25 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:16:30

Some of you might know that dh and I are in the middle of booking to go skiing for xmas. However as soon as I start to think of flying it makes me want to hurl. I am petrified of flying and I always end up crying during take off and landing.
I thought about going to see my GP but I just thought I would post on here to see if any of you had done anything or taken anything that helped you not be as anxious?
Sorry to sound like a sap but I won't be able to look forward to the holiday at all because I hate flying so much.

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:20:55

I totally sympathise with you, as i have the same problem and avoid flying if i can - i've never liked it but always managed to get through. had a couple of bad flights in a row, and haven't flown for a while now.

i did find that diazepam helped the last time though. i also went to counselling which was brilliant - taught you what a ridiculous fear it is, gave you all the statsitics - like - "why are you scared of flying and not scared of going into the garden to do some gardening" (more people are killed each year doing that than getting on a plane).

You have my sympathy - but do just get on with it and don't let it get in the way of having a good time. Have you tried the Alan Carr book?

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:23:24

No what is that about?
I thought that if I saw my GP, he might refer me to a counsellor.

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:25:14

he probably will refer you - but worth getting the diazepam just to have in your bag, makes you feel better, even if you don't take it. the counselling may take a while - when are you flying?

The Alan Carr book is basically like counselling - it is brilliant. He wrote the book on giving up smoking that is famous (i think). not sure what its called, but should be easily available....

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:29:45

I'll have a look on Amazon. We're going at xmas but I thought that if I got the chance to see someone it gives me plenty of time.

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:30:37

BTW, what is Diazepam? We will have dd who will be 2 so will it make me drowsy?

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:31:05

definitely worth a try - will save you all that horrible stress....

mishi1977 Sat 22-Jan-05 23:31:07

aww hun i have the same problem and was prescribed beta blockers by my gp for flight..to be honest was the best thing i have ever done

romantick Sat 22-Jan-05 23:35:51

well i have a fear of flying and flown most places.still hate flying .worst bit for me is the anticpation and the tke off.
as soon ass plane is in the air the worries go.always first to take seatbelt off.
the thoguht comes to if itcrashes on take off the fuel will blow .
but if problem in air we have chance of gliding down.they can dump the excess fuel in the air.
another help maybe to get a computer flight simulator.gives you an idea of how easy it is to fly a plane.control is another fear.you are in control when you drive a car but as a passenger your life is in someone elses hands.so at least the thought of computer simulator and knowing how to fly on there you can think if the pilots all died of food poisoning etc you could take over.
with your partner beside you you can hold his hand aswell.
i must admit the computer simulator has helped me alot on the view of how a plane works and maybe one day i may take plane flying lessons.
but so many people are scared of flying.
landing is the best part of it all just think you will be soon walking on the ground.
i have had a very bad experience of a forced landing when i was very young.i will always remember it but end of the day came away alive.it is easier to land a plane in trouble .than a plane taking off in trouble.
as everybody says you are safer flying than in a car.which is very true.so reccomend go by a flight simulator and get rid of those fears

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:37:35

I'll just be dopey though won't I if I take them?

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:39:52

not dopey - just relaxed. helped me - thats all i can say - but go for the counselling and try the book first... good luck!

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:40:28

Where can I go to one of these flight simulators or are they a program for the pc?

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:42:45

i think Brittania airways might run a fear of flying course - not sure though.

am off to bed now, good luck. Will post again if i can find anything more helpful.....

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:43:11

Was it called Positive Phsycology Sievehead?

romantick Sat 22-Jan-05 23:43:45

pc programme any good computer shop should sell them.
i never realised how easy it is to fly a plane.
most pilots will learn on computer to start with as it teaches you most things.
look for the microsoft version.
i have it even bought extra scenery .
i can fly over my own house now
i have also flown a 737 from gatwick to paris.
amazing realism for a simulator

sievehead Sat 22-Jan-05 23:44:04

Cognitive Therapy (if you are asking about the counselling....)

amynnixmum Sat 22-Jan-05 23:45:16

Sis no 2 is terrified of flying. She takes a diazapam whenever gets on a light. Can't remember what the dosage is but can ask her if you want. She is so anxious that she still doesn't sleep but feels more relaxed. Like you she dreads flying but doesn't let it get in the way of a good trip.

august24 Sat 22-Jan-05 23:45:33

I had a terrible fear of flying that started after I had my children(well I always had some fear of flying, but would just do it anyway and I traveled all around the world before children) After I had them, and we didn't have much traveling to do I would avoid flying. Then my husband got a job in London and I HAD to fly, so I talked to my doctor in the USA and she presribed Ativan which I think is called lorazepam here. It is like Valium, and it is great. I now can fly with no problem, and honestly my fear has gotten to be much less(before when I knew I would be flying fear and loathing would take over for weeks before a flight, now I am fine up until the day, feel a little anxious at the airport, pop my pill 1/2 hour before a flight and I am fine for the 6-7 hours it takes to get back to the USA. When I first took it I would have to take it the night before and then the morning, then on the plane. Also when we first started flying I wouldn't go without having someone to help me with the kids, as my fear of flying was so great I couldn't take care of them. Now I can fly alone with my two kids, and I am alert enough to take care of them despite the Ativan. I love it, recomend it to all my friends and they all seem to like it too!

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:48:03

Thanks for all that info everyone. I have plenty to look in to now. I actually feel a little better about it!

triplets Sat 22-Jan-05 23:49:15

Hi,
You have my sympathy. I am terrified of take off, I sit there saying my prayers, fingers, legs, everything crossed! I take Bachs rescue remedy and have a couple of glasses of white wine and Bingo! Works for me!

Newbarnsleygirl Sat 22-Jan-05 23:54:50

I can't believe how I am with flying. I used to love it. I will get appt with Gp next week and see what he can do.

lucy5 Sat 22-Jan-05 23:56:18

my mum takes beta blockers when she flies, says its the best thing shes ever done.

MeerkatsUnite Sun 23-Jan-05 09:01:37

The fear of flying is actually quite common but you can deal with this phobia.

Would suggest you take a "Flying without Fear" course. There are many such points of info if you type fear of flying into a search engine like google. Here is one such example:-

http://flyingwithoutfear.info/

Newbarnsleygirl Sun 23-Jan-05 09:09:44

It's quite a bit of money although if it works it's got to be worth a go. Will have a word with dh! I need not to be anxious for dd's sake. The last thing I want is for her not to like flying.

strawberry Sun 23-Jan-05 14:33:13

I have actually been on the fear of flying course and would recommend it. Not a cure, still not keen of flying but definitely helped. They covered how planes fly, dealing with fear, what checks are done, you can ask questions. AT the end you go on a short flight and they talk you through all the different noises and sensations during the flight. Knowledge of all this has helped me enormously. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now