Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas?? Summer hols, not too hot??

(25 Posts)
Quacks Thu 20-Jan-05 21:13:29

Would consider anywhere really. Done centerparcs to death - love it just need a longer more relaxing holiday. I think the med may be too hot for baby - she will be 11 months and my 4 yr old. We would love somewhere with creche/kids club UK/anywhere. Budget total £1500.
ANY INSPIRATIoN?????

Merlot Fri 21-Jan-05 08:28:48

Hi quacks.

Dont know if you are restricted about when you travel, but if you go in early June, I dont think the med would be too hot.

I just love Puerto Pollensa in Majorca and Cala Galdana in Menorca.

Flights are short and both resorts are family friendly without being `naff' iykwim.
Cala Galdana has the most perfect beach with lots of shade and a board walk which makes it buggyable and give opportunities for afternoon napping. Puerto Pollensa is bigger, with lots of scope for eating out in the evening and walks along by the sea. Very pretty and the Pine Walk is just bumpy enough for those afternoon naps for baby . The Playa Mar is in a beautiful spot (Thomsons) and has a kids club - not sure of prices but worth a look. Also, Playa Mar is a bit on the edge of Puerto Pollensa but a lovely walk into town. We always have a car, because we can explore that bit more and we dont have to wait for transfers at the airport.

Good Luck

Hulababy Fri 21-Jan-05 08:32:49

We took DD to Lake Garda, Italy at about 16 months in August. It was pretty warm, but by the lakes in North Italy it wasn't too hot at all. Was very beautiful.

Also France, Switzerland, Belgium, etc - more Northern Europe - won't be too hot, and there are some lovely places.

In October we stayed in a lovely farm cottage in Northern France - about 1.5hrs from Calais, near Le Touqyet. In the summer it would be most likely lovely weather, but not too hot. And there were some lovely places around there, especially for families to do.

Quacks Fri 21-Jan-05 11:37:47

Thanks, we need to go in August I'm afraid. School hols and she's already having time off earlier in the yr. I love cala galdana and puerto pollensa too! V nice.

LIZS Fri 21-Jan-05 12:02:55

lol but when it is hot in Switzerland it is really hot 100o plus !! The mountains provide a welcome relief though.

fisil Fri 21-Jan-05 12:07:06

We went to the part of France Hula is talking about in July/August last year, and the weather was perfect for us (we hate it hot). Really it was British summer weather - just a bit more reliably warm and dry.

Quacks Fri 21-Jan-05 13:06:42

Fisil, where is that??? Is is easy to get to as we have to come from isle of man???

Ameriscot2005 Fri 21-Jan-05 13:07:50

Keycamp and HavenEurope would meet all those requirements.

Hulababy Fri 21-Jan-05 13:10:33

You can fly to Le Touquet, northern France from some of the smaller airports in te UK.

BellaLasagne Fri 21-Jan-05 13:14:53

We've been to the lakes in Austria a few times in August. It gets to about mid-70s and the focal points are the lake (which you can swim in) an dthe mountains (which you can go up!) for beautiful cool clean air and stunning views.

pabla Fri 21-Jan-05 13:19:30

What about Ireland Quacks (as you are halfway there already)?

I think the Skellig hotel in Dingle, co Kerry has a kids club. They have apartments too, if self catering is more your thing. Don't know what the prices are like though. A friend has stayed there for weekends with her kids and recommends it but have never tried it myself. If you Google it, I believe they have a website.

Evesmama Fri 21-Jan-05 13:25:15

sardinia looked nice on last nights place in the sun?

fisil Fri 21-Jan-05 15:56:35

Quacks, we had to do a day trip while we were there back to the UK for a funeral. We got to Peterborough and back in a day. We deliberately picked somewhere that was very close to the ports - we were c. 20 mins from Bolougne & 45 minutes from Calais, but we were right in the middle of the countryside - and the nearby beaches are very good - huge, sandy and empty. Like hula, we stayed in a self-catering cottage. With a toddler I wouldn't want anything else for a stress free holiday!

leothefish Fri 21-Jan-05 16:53:03

Never thought I would reccomend a UK destination, but we have fallen in love with Woolacombe in North Devon. Really gorgeous, clean, good restaurants. Our 3.5 year old loved it. Spent hours on the beach, walks, jumping castles etc. We also all finished relaxed which is a major acchievement!

romantick Fri 21-Jan-05 16:54:47

france

jessicasmummy Fri 21-Jan-05 16:55:57

Butlins for me everytime!!! Sorry....

romantick Fri 21-Jan-05 16:58:40

butlins is good.as a child i use to go there great for kids

leothefish Fri 21-Jan-05 17:05:17

I have never been to Butlins so I don't know what the food is like. We are foodies and like to do most of our own catering, but I was really impressed by the restaurant quality and range in Woolacombe - fresh, modern and suitable for adults a 13year old and a 3.5 year old.

jessicasmummy Fri 21-Jan-05 19:04:06

We go half board... breakfast and tea... all the usual kiddie meals, but really tasty grown up food too. My DH is a chef so he wouldnt eat crap quality! Booked to go in august again... if you book before 31st Jan, you can get up to 50% off!!!

jessicasmummy Fri 21-Jan-05 19:04:29

sorry, meant to add, they also have self catering facilities if you prefer...

Rowlers Fri 21-Jan-05 19:08:35

Madeira has an av temp of 25 degress I believe and is supposed to be beautiful. I'm afraid I know nothing of how suitable it is for children though.

grumpyfrumpy Sun 23-Jan-05 07:08:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grumpyfrumpy Sun 23-Jan-05 07:10:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

happymerryberries Sun 23-Jan-05 08:36:26

OK, this place is great but it doesn't have a kids club, it should be well within the buget (we are going there at easter for a week and it wis costing us £500 for 4 of us.

Duinrell in Wassenar, Holland. Canvas and Keycamp both have it on their books. It is a fab place for kids. There is a lorge and very well kept campsite, with a bar, resurant and supermarket on site. If you go with canvas/keycam you get two hours a day free in Europes biggest water park, lots of slides, a wave pool and a lazy river. you also get free access all day to the theme park! There are loads of rides for littlies, my two loved it. You can also hire bikes and go-karts for the kids.

We went last year, back again this year. It is on the coast and there are lots of other things to do. The weather isn't too hot either.

Last year we had a week (including the tunnel costs) for the price of a weekend in Centreparcs.

Quacks Sun 23-Jan-05 09:39:47

MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, WILL CHECK ALL THESE OUT TONIGHT!! XX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now