Talk

Advanced search

Ca anyone recommend a good family hotel in Cala d'or?

(31 Posts)
Wondermom Thu 20-Jan-05 16:46:42

Looking to go to Cala D'or at the end of May with our two girls, 5 and 2. We're after a hotel/aparthotel, which MUST have some evening entertainment for the children. Any ideas out there?

tiredemma Thu 20-Jan-05 20:14:40

i stayed at the Hotel Sa Marina(4*) which is near the port, its part of this group of hotels www.inturotel.com (sorry cant do links), they are an excellent group, the accom is fab and it did have kids entertainment and kids clubs.
i book with thomas cook as i get a staff discount but you can book direct off the internent and save loads.
i loved it so much we are going back this june and various friends have also booked.
if u have anymore questions id be happy to help!!

Wondermom Fri 21-Jan-05 09:42:07

Thanks. I'll check it out in the brochure - Sounds good. It's the first year we have to book in the school hols, so I'm keen to get something booked as soon as poss. Will probably get back to you later with a few more questions

Wondermom Fri 21-Jan-05 22:32:52

tiredemma - Thanks SO much for the recommendation!! It looks FAB and JUST what we like. Can I ask you how much you pay a week in June and do you know if it's possible for 2 adults, 2 children AND Grandma to stay in one apartment? If not do you know if they have smaller accomodation for Grannies? I'll look in to it myself tomorrow, but just wondered if you knew. Thanks again!

tiredemma Sat 22-Jan-05 10:05:47

ive just booked my friend there direct with company- the apt is approx £81 per day on self catering.
half board upgrade per adult is approx £15 per person per day.
call thier reservations dept on 0034971648191, they speak english and are very helpful, or alternativly you can email them via thier website, just click on reservations.
i dont know about room for granny- i think that as you have two little ones they may be able to put a "put up bed" in the lounge area, the rooms by the way are very spacious. thier website says that they do studio flats but i dont have a price for that, i have a pricelist floating about somewhere so if i can find it ill put it on here.
the hotel has been awarded "best hotel in the balearics" for three years running now by thomas cook. if you have any more q's just let me know

Wondermom Sat 22-Jan-05 12:51:58

Hi Tiredemma. Been on the phone to the hotel. Lots of availabilities at end of May and my Mum can have a studio apt. Just going on to Bmibaby for flights. Thank you VERY MUCH for all your help. I'd still be floundering if it wasn't for your advice!!We're going around 28th May for 10 days... CAN'T wait!! Did you say you were going this year?

doggiewalker Sat 22-Jan-05 12:54:35

Wondermom we stayed v close to Cala D'or a few years ago at the Hotel Cala Esmerelda . they have s/c apartments and you can take a half-board choice if you want to, which we did and the food was v good. its right on a small beach and has day time and evening entertainment. Shops and all activities nearby. About an hours transfer. V good all round holiday, you can choose an apartment near to the activities or a little further away if you want it to be quieter.

Wondermom Sat 22-Jan-05 13:03:24

Thanks Doggiewalker, I'll check it out. DH suggesting WE stay in Sa Marina and MIL in the other

tiredemma Sat 22-Jan-05 15:10:05

hi wondermom, the hotel cala esmeralda has just been bought by the same group that own the sa marina, they are completly refurbishing it up to the same standard as the sa marina, but it wont open back up till mid may- but i expect it will be nice when it does open as they are an excellent chain of hotels.
im going on june 21st for 07nts.
the kids club is fab, really friendly staff.
i worked in majorca for 4 years and can honestly say this hotel is one of the best on the island.
remember to ask for pool view!!!

Wondermom Sat 22-Jan-05 16:39:14

I've emailed a reservation request as the very helpful girl on the phone said to do. She said the reservation dept is closed today, so havnt yet got confirmation. Definitely sticking with Sa Marina, it looks perfect. Will remember to ask for pool view. I always think it safer to go for ground floor, with a 5 and a 2 year old, because of the balcony?? What do you think?

tiredemma Sat 22-Jan-05 16:50:09

yes, definetly, my two would be up on the balcony furniture as soon as my back was turned.
we had a ground floor apt last year, are you going self catering/bed and breakfast or half board?

tiredemma Sat 22-Jan-05 16:57:28

forgot to say, if you go bed and brekkie, the breakfast is a champagne brekkie every morning and the food is really good (even shortbread biscuits for little children with no appetite!)

also if you book, they only take 20% as a deposit and the rest you can pay when you get there/depart, which is better than having to pay 8 weeks in advance which is what the tour ops would want.

Wondermom Sat 22-Jan-05 16:58:01

Bit of a dilema there. Probably go half board but we do like to eat out too. Stayed in a great hotel once in Menorca where you could choose each day between lunch or evening meal, which I thought was a good idea. What are you doing? Is the food as good as I imagine? Is the restaurant o.k for 'lively kids'?

tiredemma Sat 22-Jan-05 17:01:16

you can pay at reception each day if you prefer to dine out a couple of nights and then stay in a few nights. the port has the best returants, really nice atmosphere.
the staff in the resturant at the hotel LOVE the children, there was quite a few kids there and there was no funny looks off people in the resturant.
im off now as its home time (im at work) but i will be back on tomorrow if you think of anything else overnight

Wondermom Wed 26-Jan-05 17:34:50

Hi tiredemma. Still not heard anything back, following my email to reservations. Getting a bit worried, so I'll ring again tomorrow. Just out of interest, I popped in to local Thomas Cook at the weekend and was AMAZED at the saving you make by booking direct!!! Actually, Thomas Cook had no vacancies atall at the time we wanted, yet the girl at the hotel said there were plenty!?? Will chase it up tomorrow. I'll be gutted if we lose it now. Fingers crossed

tiredemma Thu 27-Jan-05 15:23:12

i only recieved an e-mail today from last friday so i suppose that they are a bit behind.
ive just checked on the thomas cook system and there are plent of rooms available for late may early june so dont worry, the travel agent was probably trying to "switch sell" you as she knew you would get the sa marina cheaper direct.
i booked mine yesterday through my staff travel concession for june 21st cant wait!!!!
if you need any more help just give me a shout!

Wondermom Thu 27-Jan-05 16:02:04

Thanks. That's reassuring Can't settle 'til I see it in writing. I can't wait now! We're going on the wednesday before school breaks up on the friday, so hopefully have at least a couple of quieter days before all the kids arrive. Also save pounds on the flights!! Not booked the flights yet...Going to shop around a bit.

tiredemma Thu 27-Jan-05 16:05:27

where are you flying from?
have you recieved an email from them yet?
i booked my friends over the phone with them yesterday with a girl called xisca, it may be worth giving them a call, especially if you want a studio aswell, they only have about 20 studios.
phone the number on the website and ask for reservations, shes very helpful!

Wondermom Thu 27-Jan-05 16:09:23

We hope to fly from Manchester. Will definitely ring the hotel again now and check on the situation.

tiredemma Thu 27-Jan-05 16:32:04

if your having difficulty finding flights let me know and ill see if i can find some for you.
let me know how you get on with the hotel! - im intruiged!

Wondermom Thu 27-Jan-05 18:37:39

tried but reservations closed 'til 9 tomorrow. Will call first thing. Thanks for offer of help with the flights. We live just 15 mins from Manch, but would consider Liverpool. Will let you know if we have any probs - Thank you

Wondermom Fri 28-Jan-05 09:56:40

Morning tiredemma. DH just rang reservations on 0034971648191. Is this the same number you ring? The girl has said there are studios at Esmerelda Park. She hadnt sent our email as she'd got our address wrong I think. She said she'd email back this morning with a price for Esm Park + a price for 2 apartments at Sa Marina. Do you have any views on Esmerelda Park? How does it compare with Sa Marina? I was reading through some customer reviews a while back and I'm pretty sure I read that most of the rooms at Esmerelda were given to German tour operators. Do you know anything about this? May have to fall back on Esmerelda

LIZS Fri 28-Jan-05 10:03:54

Esmerelda Park certainly features in several of the German/Swiss operators brochures, probably Dutch too, but many of them are related to UK operators such as TUI Group (Thomson) for example which own/operate some of the hotels. We considered it for last autumn but couldn't get the right room set up when we wanted to go.

tiredemma Fri 28-Jan-05 11:47:29

sa marina definetly has studio apts, esmeralda park is ok but its only a 3* and sa marina is much newer.
there are german tour ops in both hotels, but they dont get preferential treatment. the main difference i suppose is the star rating, you will really notice the difference between the 3*and 4*, the esmeralda beacuse of its size seems to be more of a holiday "complex" whereas the sa marina has more of a hotel feel about it.
i hope you get the sa marina wondermom, ive stayed in loads of accom like the esmeralda, they are ten a penny in every resort in the med but the sa marina really stands out and has something very differnt about it.
let me know how you get on.
dont forget when they e-mail you- the sa marina definetly has studios so there should be no reason why they can only offer you the esmeralda for your party size.

Wondermom Fri 28-Jan-05 12:11:10

STILL havn't had an email back!! Written off Esmerelda Park. Sa Marina sounds much more for us!
She definitely said no studios at Sa Marina??!! I know you're right. I read it in the website. What is she up to? VERY frustrating. Can't find another hotel I like as much in Cala D'or, so I'm just looking up a few in Puerto Pollensa - BUT REEEAAALY want Sa Marina We don't want just a 10 a penny place. Want something really special and want my Mum to come with us as my Dad died quite recently and she needs the kind of holiday my Dad would've taken her on... Something special

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now