Talk

Advanced search

anyone been to crete near chania with toddler?

(23 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 11:30:04

pros and cons?...am thinking of going to akrotiri with simply travel...anyone tried it?

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 11:31:21

Soph I have been to Crete, Chania is v nice. Not been to akrotiri I don't think.

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 11:31:55

when are you going?

Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 11:36:56

may/june

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 11:44:28

we went in May it was pretty nippy! V sunny but cold at night. Sea was freezing

GRMUM Mon 17-Jan-05 11:57:51

I've been to Akrotiri but not with a toddler (my kids are older) There will be quite a drop in temperature in the evenings.If you want to travel around you will definitely need a car - I found it a bit out of the way to be honest, but it really depends on what sort of holiday you are after. We stayed on the beach where they filmed Zorba the Greek. I think there are better places to stay in Crete especially if you want somewhere where you can walk around in the evenings. If you can give more details as to what you are looking for I can probably help more.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 12:21:43

looks like it's going to be a toss up between zakynthos and crete...its the childcare we're after...anyone else?

Nome Mon 17-Jan-05 13:00:21

We went to the Akrotiri last May with Simply Crete and had a great time. The very short drive from the airport was particularly good! We stayed at the something villas(?) Not the one where the childcare is but the one 'next-door'. ds was 15 months and loved crawling around on the beach down the road. Chania was lovely and we found several really nice places to eat lunch with ds. It was too cold to swim really, but paddling was fine. We booked ds into the creche for a couple of morning when we got there and had some grown-up time. It was a pain in the evening, as there was only one taverna in walking distance and it wasn't great, so we mostly ate lunch out and had picnic meals in the evening. Sorry this a bit random!

GRMUM Mon 17-Jan-05 13:11:33

With a toddler I would choose Zakythos over Crete.My favourite place with young children is Tsilivi in Zakynthos big very shallow beach and lots to walk around in the evenings but its a family orientated resort so not loads of noisy drunk tourists around. Zakynthos will be gorgeous in May/June because its one of the "greener" islands and will be covered in flowers etc. Having said that its much further north than Crete so the weather can be more unpredictable.I myself would go for mid June to have better weather. If you have to come May remember that Orthodox Easter is May 1st this year so there will be more people around until 9th when the greek schools go back.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 13:31:34

we're thinking last week may/first june. and we really want access to a creche hence the locations...do you know of anywhere nicer that provides good quality childcare (few half days creche and a few nights babysitting is what we're after)?

thanks nome. glad you like it, they're going to ring any minute and i'm going to book...help!

Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 13:32:04

why is zakynthos better with toddler GRMUM?

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 14:26:26

sophable Willow2 has been to the simply travel zakynthos place. Also the Mousses Lefkas one (dh and I thinking of going there)

Heathcliffscathy Mon 17-Jan-05 20:45:03

mousses all gone already (even for may)

CountessDracula Mon 17-Jan-05 22:06:22

did you call simply travel? I can't see it on their website, want to book for sept

GRMUM Tue 18-Jan-05 05:49:37

Sophable As far as hotels with creche facilities go I can't really advise you as I've never used one.I would check that they operate creches that early in the season though.So if you find a good hotel with facilities in Crete I can highly recommend Crete we had a fantastic holiday there but it is a big island and if you want to explore you will need a car. My problem with Akrotiri was that as Nome said there weren't many tavernas for the evenings and I think you would need to check out supermarkets etc if you will be needing pampers etc.(on Akrotiri of course there's plenty in chania which is a beautiful town.The particular beach we were near on akrotiri(Zorbas beach) was definitely not the best I've been to in greece although there were others on akrotiri that were nice.

Maybe I'm keen on Zakynthos because thats where I've been several times when my children were young.Tsilivi as i said has a lovely beach for little ones, and enough tavernas and shops etc to while away the evenings. If you have a car for a few days theres plenty of other places to visit for days out (as there are in Crete but the distances are much further)If you do think about hiring a car in Greece you need to check out availability of car seats for your child - not sure how available they are here.Hope this helps - anything else just ask!!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 18-Jan-05 23:02:27

GRmum and any other greek mners...

we're going to crete in may!

huzzah.

now, can i ask, will i be able to get goats and sheeps milk/milk products easily???? ds can't have cows milk (eczema)...

i would have thought so in greece, but am i deluded?

thank you!

Heathcliffscathy Wed 19-Jan-05 09:22:51

bump

Nome Wed 19-Jan-05 09:43:30

ds managed to choke down vast quantities of sheep's milk yoghurt each day, bought at the local supermarket. If you're going to the Akrotiri, I'll dig out my notes from last year and locate the fab bakery we found. One of the main points of a holiday for me is the quality of local cake...

Heathcliffscathy Wed 19-Jan-05 09:44:36

we are going to akrotiri!

Milly1968 Fri 21-Jan-05 19:55:18

Sorry, I've only just seen this message and I think you've already booked the holiday!

Anyway, just wanted to say we went to Simply Crete's Alianthos Apartments in Akrotiri last May and had a great time. The childcare was unfaultable, and I had no qualms about leaving my 6 month old twins in the creche. They were there from 9.30am-5.30pm every day and it was blissful! My 4 yr old was also in the creche most mornings and for the odd full day so we actually had a few days where we could either do some proper walking or have long leisurely lunches in Hania. The nannies in the creche were lovely and could not have been more helpful. As it was low season there were very few other children so the twins basically had their own nanny for two weeks which was great.

The only thing I didn't like about the apartments was that there are no restaurants within walking distance. However, there are several within a five - ten minute drive which are open in the evening. We tended to have big lunches out and then have snacks in the evening.

If you have any questions do let me know, I'm sure your child/ren will love the creche.

Nome - when were you there? We were there from around 7th -24th May. I do remember a little 15 month old boy who was occasionally in the creche. I wonder if this was your DS.

Best wishes

Milly

Nome Fri 21-Jan-05 21:29:45

Yes, I remember your twins! We were at the Lefteris (?) the 8-15 May. It was lovely and really child friendly.

Milly1968 Sat 22-Jan-05 19:42:01

Small world! I remember chatting to you in the creche on the first day. I think you were pregnant, or perhaps I'm confusing you with someone else? One of the other families staying there that week live just round the corner from us in London, DH met the mother on the Tube a few months ago.

We can't decide whether or not to go back there for the summer half term. We really liked it, however, we've also been to Turkey with Simply Travel, and the childcare there (Akyaka) is also very good. I think we'll probably end up going back to Turkey as the apartments there are in a small resort and there is a very good choice of restaurants within a five minute walk.

Best wishes

Milly

Heathcliffscathy Sat 22-Jan-05 19:45:21

milly, they've changed the venue to alonis apartments...hopefully they're ok...nome, what's the name of that bakery then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now