Talk

Advanced search

Ile de Re - near La Rochelle - anyone been there with young children?

(14 Posts)
muminaspin Sun 16-Jan-05 18:37:41

Looking for recommendations of anywhere to stay in the Ile de Re/La Rochelle area of France - has anyone recently been with children? We are looking to holiday there this summer with a 3year old and 16mth old?

Twiglett Sun 16-Jan-05 18:39:13

This doesn't help .. but I remember going there when I was about 13 .. I remember swimming out to a sunken boat (that became visible when the tide went out) .. it was a wonderful wonderful holiday (however it was also more than 20 years ago so probably of no help at all)

Yorkiegirl Sun 16-Jan-05 18:41:36

Message withdrawn

Wondermom Fri 21-Jan-05 09:50:09

My neighbours went last summer with their girls aged 5 and 3 and had a great time. They stayed on a Eurocamp site. Beaches were perfect and quiet and they hired bikes all week - Loads of safe bike tracks. We're planning on going on their recommendation.

lowcalCOD Fri 21-Jan-05 09:51:33

we went a little further south - wiht better weather to ROyan wiht keycamp
wne tot isle doleron as a french exchanger - lots of "huitres"
yum

soapbox Fri 21-Jan-05 10:01:33

Hi
We've been a couple of times - once just outside La Rochelle and once a bit further south near Royan.

The Il de Re is beautiful but if you are going in the main holiday season it is practically gridlocked and unbelievably busy and crowded. The bridge is also pretty pricy if you are coming and going a lot!

The mainland in that area is beatiful though with fantastic beaches. As Cod says the Isle d'oleron is lovely - the best beaches in the area are there IMHO

There is a fantastic zoo in Royan which you really must visit if you go, out children absolutely loved it there. The animals are really well looked after with spacious clean enclosures, unlike a lot of other zoo's we've been to in France.

There is a lovely aquarium but I can't remember where it is - possibly in La Rochelle itself.
La Rochelle is very pretty with fab shops and restaurants - although the children did not like shopping

Hausfrau Fri 21-Jan-05 10:05:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catan Sun 23-Jan-05 23:28:31

bagpussmice Sun 30-Jan-05 20:27:08

Catan - just caught up on this thread so hope you're still there? How old were your children? Was the house "young child" friendly??
Wouldn't mind more details please - that would be good.
Thanks

bagpussmice Sun 30-Jan-05 20:27:56

should add, I've name-changed since then - I am muminaspin (alias) bagpussmice!

bluesky Mon 31-Jan-05 14:49:04

Article in this weekends Mail re: Ile De Re, family with children age 4 and 2, they loved it and are returning.

Here are some bits from it:
Family hotels: Les Bois Flottais, Chemin des Mouettes, 17589, Le Bois Plage tel: 00 33 546 0927 00 www.lesboisflottais.com. High season a family room (sleeps 4) costs £102 per night, breakfast £7 extra. Dogs welcome.

La Maison Douce, St Martin de Re. Tel: 00 33 546 09 20 20 www.lamaisondouce.com. An aprtment with double bed and 2 singles costs £133 per night. Breakfast £8 pp extra. Dogs welcome.

Family restaurants: La Bouvette, Les Bois-Plage (for mussels and local grilled fish specialities) Tel: 00 33 546 0929 87

Les Pied Dans L'eau, La Nouse. For filled pancakes or galettes. 00 33 546 09 45 68

Ryanair flies daily from Stansted. FLights from £100 return inclusive. www. flybe.com flies daily from southampton, prices from around £108 return.

They enjoyed food market in the port of La Flotte, watching the pink langoustines
come in. Market next day at La Noue, where the children loved eating freshly cooked mussels. There is Le Bois-Plage surf school, salt marshes for proper shrimping lessons, or guided safaris to see islands rich variety of waterfowl nesting at dusk.

Immaculately organised stables near La Noue, where 4 yr old rode on a shetland pony.

It all sounds LOVELY!

Catan Mon 31-Jan-05 22:53:15

root Fri 04-Feb-05 19:57:10

Not been with kids, but briefly lived near La Rochelle so visited Ile de Re lots. Fantastic cycle tracks round whole island if your kids are old enough, plus nature reserves, oyster beds, lovely beaches and very chic little towns. Very very nice. Also, if you don't know it, La Rochelle is fab. If you get a chance go to 'Teatro Bettini' pizzeria/restaurant ( on a street near the market).

beansontoast Fri 04-Feb-05 20:08:52

i just want to add a sentimental vote of confidence...i went before the bridge was built,but it was very child friendly if i remember accurately.im soo jealous.anywhere around there is gorgeous...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now