Talk

Advanced search

Calling anyone who has lived (Levanna?)or lives(Zaphod?) in Galway, Ireland.......................

(24 Posts)
Aero Wed 12-Jan-05 21:37:27

We are going to Clifden for our holiday this year and I just wondered if you could recommend any nice things for families to do in and around the area in the summertime.

Aero Wed 12-Jan-05 22:16:11

bump

MissGalway Wed 12-Jan-05 22:33:53

Hi Aero - there isn't much to do in Clifden itself. There is the station house museum right in the centre of Clifden which is an old railway station. It tells the history of the Connemara POny. Then there is in Letterfrack the Connemara National Park which is lovely. You can take a picnic there and there is a heritage centre there too. Kylemore Abbey is very close too. IT is a benedictine convent with a lovely cafe and you can go around the convent. It also has a walled garden which on a nice summers day is lovely. If you have a car there is a nice trip you can do on the Sky Road, its just a drive but the scenery is fabulous.

Clifden is not far from Galway (about 30 miles I'd say) and there is loads to do there with kids. If you think you might be going in to Galway just post here and I can give you lots to do there. What ages are your children btw.

Where are you staying in Clifden? Have been to Clifden lots of times and can tell you what your accommodation may be like. Hope this is of some benefit to you.

Aero Wed 12-Jan-05 22:52:48

Ahhhhh - thank you so much MissGalway. I'm sure we'll visit Galway itself. We'll be staying at Inishkeen House, Tullycross, and have realised we might be in the stix a little bit, but will be able to travel. Am going with my brother and his family and our kids are 7,6,4,2 & 1. So any suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

zaphod Thu 13-Jan-05 00:13:47

Hi, Aero, Tullycross is beautiful, and close to some lovely beaches, make sure you go to Glaislan - pronounced Glashlawn. There is also an aquarium close to Letterfrack that your kids might enjoy.

Miss Galway is right there are plenty of things to do in Galway city during the summer, just strolling the streets you come across puppeteers, mimes and buskers, but there are indoor activity centres for children, like Monkey Business, should the weather be wet [AS IF. Agree with MG about the rest. If you have any more queries just ask, have to go as baby has woken.

NEVER thought I would see my name in a thread title btw.

Aero Thu 13-Jan-05 13:37:40

Thanks so much Zaphod - am really looking forward to it now! Grew up in NI and hardly crossed the border except to visit Dublin a few times, I thought it was about time to explore Ireland further. MIL is from Galway, but has lived in S Africa for years and therefore isn't very clued up on what's to do there anymore, but assures us it's lovely. When I saw the thread you were on recently re Galway, it occured to me that it'd be a good idea ask here for suggestions. I'll be copying this page for future reference! Quite excited about it now.

Aero Wed 27-Jul-05 23:02:48

Anyone got any new suggestions - going on Saturday! TIA

SaintGeorge Wed 27-Jul-05 23:06:04

Not seen BadgerBadger (Levanna's new name) around tonight, but I will email her to make sure she sees the thread Aero.

Aero Wed 27-Jul-05 23:10:38

Thanks SG.

zaphod Wed 27-Jul-05 23:12:40

What a coincidence, i was just thinking about you yesterday. I came across a magazine called In Galway with loads of things you can do with children in the area. Mind you, a lot of it will be a bit of a drive from Tullycross.

Let me look up the local papers for stuff that might be of interest, and i will get back to you.

Aero Wed 27-Jul-05 23:15:37

Ahh - cheers zaphod - you lovely person! Don't mind driving - kids well used to it. Will take us several hours to get there in the first place!

MrsGordonRamsay Wed 27-Jul-05 23:25:21

Oi...........

Aero

Don't forget the Tayto

Aero Wed 27-Jul-05 23:26:25

lol - wouldn't dream of it MGR!

Aero Wed 27-Jul-05 23:35:57

Have to go to bed as have been up since 4.45am today and that's not to mention how many times I was up to the kids in the night! Will check this again tomorrow.

zaphod Thu 28-Jul-05 16:39:05

I have been to the tourist office,and have come up with loads of stuff for you.

A day trip by ferry to the Aran Islands (one of those places that everyone says you must visit, but we haven't yet)

Westport House and Country Park, www.westporthouse.ie. We go as a family every couple of years and bring a picnic.

Sight-seeing cruise on Irelands only fjord...the brochure says 'It's magic will be the high point of a rainy day'. www.killarycruises.com. That would be quite close to Tullycross.

Brigit's Garden, beautiful themed gardens reflecting celtic festivals. And there's a children's discovery trail. www.galwaygarden.com

Glengowla Mines. This would be quite close too.

There is an adventure centre with canoeing, abseiling and that at Delphi, near Leenane, but your kids might be a bit young.

In Galway city, in Salthill, there is a funfair every summer, but it's expensive. Then there is the Prom, which is a walk by the beach, with amusement arcades and that. if you keep going you come to the Atlantaquarium, and there is a playground just past that.

The village of Cong is IMO a must see. You can wander around the beautiful wooded grounds of Ashford Castle, on the shores of Lough Corrib, and through the terraced gardens (but for God's sake don't pay at the gate, either go in the back way, or say you are visiting the Murphys and go in the main entrance....honest). From the pier at the Castle you can get a boat trip to Inchagoill Island, where you get to wander around and see an ancient church. In the village, Ryans Hotel has good food, at reasonable prices in the pub, you can feed the ducks on the river, (by the shopand petrol station), and the children will love to climb around the ruined monastery.

I know I sound like a brochure, but it really is great, though I'm biased cos I grew up there. I brought the kids to Ashford for a walk today, and they had a ball.

Keanes pub in Maam is really nice too, good sandwiches and a lovely atmosphere.

And naturally all the pubs will sell tayto crisps,AND red lemonade.

In Clifden, the Station House hotel pub has very nice food too, and is family friendly.

HTH

Aero Fri 29-Jul-05 11:35:18

Fantastic zaphod - you are a total gem. Am just going to set up my parent's printer (they're technophobes) and print this off. that gives us loads to go on and should keep us busy all week. All we're praying for now is decent weather. Thanks so much for that - it's truly much appreciated.

Eaney Fri 29-Jul-05 11:46:00

Have to agree with Zaphod about Cong. Westport is also beautiful. There are some lovely sandy beaches a couple pf miles outside of Westport town.

If you are interested in ancient history there are the Ceide Feilds in Balycastle in Co Mayo. It is the oldest known field systems in the world, over five and a half millennia old. Site = http://www.museumsofmayo.com/ceide.htm

Enjoy!

zaphod Fri 29-Jul-05 13:18:19

You are very welcome. The forecast is good for this week-end. Let us know how you get on.
Eaney's right, if you do go to Westport make sure to go to the beach at Louisburgh. It would be on your way, in any case.

mishmash Fri 29-Jul-05 13:39:13

Museum of Country Life is brilliant - we don't live too far away and took the kids last weekend. If you go stop off in Horkans too to see all the lovely pet rabbits, snakes, birds etc... etc... that are for sale.

Oh and there is Truroe Pet Farm which in a place called Bullaun near Loughrea which is County Galway.

Have a lovely time

Aero Fri 29-Jul-05 23:28:38

Thanks everyone - am all packed and ready to go with my mn printout at the ready. Looking forward to a good break and after three days of pouring NI rain, the weather ispromising to be kind to us from tomorrow on. Many thanks again.

BadgerBadger Tue 02-Aug-05 21:53:44

I'm so sorry Aero, I missed your departure!

Thankfully everyone's come up with loads of good things to do .

I hope you have a great time .

Aero Sun 07-Aug-05 13:59:07

Well, I'm back (at my parent's house) after just the best holiday! For anyone who wants a total break, Galway is the place to go. The scenery is breath-taking and the pace of life is slow. The people are extremely friendly and helpful. We went to Cong - lovely place and great exploring space for the children and the grounds of Ashford castle are stunning (we went in the back way!!). Also went to Westport Country House - another great success for the kids. Connemara National Park was also on our list and we went to Kylemore Abbey and Clifden town too.
All in all, we has a great time. When we weren't visiting these places, we could either be found on the beach at the bottom of our garden which only has us on it, or having lunch in one of the many lovely pubs we visited.
The weather was kind to us and the sunsets were amazing over the sea with the mountains in the background.
Thanks to all of you who supplied us with more than enough to keep us busy for the week. I can't recommend Galway highly enough and the house we stayed in was perfect. Just could have done with another week there.............will definitely go back. Thanks again all.

zaphod Sun 07-Aug-05 23:24:11

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your holiday, and especially Cong. You must have passed my old house on your way into Ashford.

All week I was looking at the weather, and hoping that it was better in Tullycross, than in my part of the county!

Aero Mon 08-Aug-05 21:00:23

Was great zaphod - I definitely want to explore Galway some more and the kids had a great time too. My parents have already expressed an interest in staying where we were with a few friends perhaps next year. Can't wait to get my pics developed. Really appreciated all the info - so thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: