Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere lovely in Egypt with 2 yr old?

(28 Posts)
Bradsmum Wed 12-Jan-05 14:09:37

Hi - can anyone recommend somewhere in Egypt (beach) for a week in March with 2 yr old. Only thinking of Egypt as it should be warm and not too long a flight. Would be v grateful for anyone's experiences.

LipstickMum Wed 12-Jan-05 14:11:15

Bradsmum I went to Edypt in November, for a week with dd who is 19 months. I don't have time to post now, but I will.

Bradsmum Wed 12-Jan-05 14:12:36

Thanks LipstickMum - look forward to hearing about it

Prufrock Wed 12-Jan-05 15:42:11

Mark Warner have just opened a hotel (with their wonderful childcare facilities) in Egypt. Check their website

bluesky Wed 12-Jan-05 17:31:53

Go to Sharm, you can fly in direct, don't do the hassle of into Cairo and then internal flight down to Sharm.

Lots of hotels, sea warm, lots of fish, just like Finding Nemo.

LipstickMum Wed 12-Jan-05 18:32:45

Hi Bradsmum,
We went to Hurghada in Egypt in November, for a week. The aims of the holiday wer a week in the sun, not doing any housework, reading books, weren't bothered about sightseeing either (sacrilige I know in a place as jam-packed with places to see as Egypt, but I make no apologies!!).

I'm glad we were in Hurghada, down the coast, not on the Sharm peninsular, because this was further from the bombing at the Hilton on the peninsular.

The weather was hot 'apparantly' (28-30) but didn't feel it because it is such a dry heat, unlike caribbean for example. So, it was lovely.

Being Winter, the sea water was cool and the pool water (unheated) was even cooler, we never swam in the pool, but I did take dd into the sea. In the summer it heats up considerably I hear.

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Hurghada, 15 mins from the airport. It was a lovely, reasonably big and impersonal hotel. We had a big room with all mod cons. Not ultra new, but kept very clean daily. Lovely balcony looking out to the sea.

The strip where the hotel was, was man-made, hence a man-made beach with no waves and little tide. The hotel had good beach loungers with permanent umbrellas up.

Buffet style food included. Always looks fab on the first night, by day 3 it's got a bit boring. Sadly for me I was in the early stages of this prgnancy so was very limited in what I could eat. However, as hotel buffet's go, I would say it was above average, both for breakfast and dinner. For lunch there was a cafe on the grounds as it were, 2 in fact. Serving decent food; burgers, pizza, salad, hot sanwiches etc. We ate lunch every day, had not much booze at night, a few ice-creams charged to our room which came to £80 for the week.

You can't drink the water there, but there are small supermarket type shops around where you can stock up. They never put ice in our drinks at that particular hotel.

Service was good, all men as it is a Muslim country, not a woman to be seen! And no pork obviously.

Dp did a kite-surfing course a little further along the coast, so he got his kicks. I got to read 3 books, so I got mine.

Not many Brits there, mainly Europeans. europeans who smoked at breakfast lunch and dinner That was the biggest downside, it was awful trying to pick a table and guessing whether you thought your neighbours would light up or not!

It was further than we thought, flights were between 5-6 hours, so not great, dd didn't have a seat

Didn't get bitten either.
As I say, the aim of our holiday was purely relaxation, I had no intention of leaving the hotel to do any mad dashing about touring and sight-seeing, so it served it's purpose for us brilliantly.

Hope that helps a bit!

Beetroot Wed 12-Jan-05 18:53:58

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Wed 12-Jan-05 19:00:57

Message withdrawn

LipstickMum Thu 13-Jan-05 08:51:14

is there only one Sofitel i.e. not a chain? We were going to book that but the week we wanted to go the pool was out of service glad it was good, it looked lovely in the brochure.

Beetroot Thu 13-Jan-05 11:09:26

Message withdrawn

Bradsmum Thu 13-Jan-05 11:52:32

Thanks so much for the info Lipstickmum. Taba Sofitel sounds good too Beetroot - did you book through any particular agent? I just want to chill out - perhaps a bit of diving - and of course be waited on hand and foot by men..

Bradsmum Thu 13-Jan-05 14:37:49

Has anyone else been to Taba? Any hotel recommedations there? Or is Hurghada better for a quietish week in the sun?

bluesky Thu 13-Jan-05 17:22:30

Hurghada is certainly a safer political spot to be. I personally wouldn't go to Taba.

Beetroot Thu 13-Jan-05 20:18:17

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Thu 13-Jan-05 20:20:31

Message withdrawn

bluesky Fri 14-Jan-05 09:37:22

I chose other parts of Egypt to go to that I felt were safer BEFORE the bomb went off.

I understand they need tourists etc to go, we were one of the few who DIDN't cancel our holiday a few days after the bomb went off, we still went.

I was just saying I would choose other resorts over Taba. Glad you had a great time and felt safe. We felt very safe in Cairo, and have to convince many people that we did, and how we didn't spend our time in police convoys etc etc!

Bradsmum Fri 14-Jan-05 12:53:29

Anyone else been to Taba recently?

Beetroot Sat 15-Jan-05 22:32:59

Message withdrawn

mishi1977 Sat 15-Jan-05 22:44:49

hi
havent bene to egypt with kids but second week of honeymoon was spent in hurghada...was lovely and tbh we didnt leave hotel...sorry cant remember its name but it was exactly as someone selse described..we went in nov andthey had a man made beach, bufft meals lots of germans who smoked...and lovely swans etc made out of your clothes...lol

miggy Sat 15-Jan-05 23:29:58

Beety-did you go as a package?
we were thinking about going at easter and that hotel looks great for 3 kids but no one seems to fly there?

Beetroot Sun 16-Jan-05 09:56:32

Message withdrawn

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 10:50:49

Well if Clitheroe Travel can do it any local travel agent can, beety!

Try your own local one, miggy. (Clitheroe is a v small town. Clitheroe Travel are v good, and have won travel industry awards, but easier to deal with one local to you.)

Beetroot Sun 16-Jan-05 11:11:06

Message withdrawn

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 11:41:44

But then what do I know!

Beetroot Sun 16-Jan-05 11:52:45

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now