Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is a cruise worth it? Any thoughts

(14 Posts)
KatieMac Mon 10-Jan-05 19:33:26

I made a bit of a mistake with this years holiday and have been advised by about 8 different people that we should go on a cruise.

Reasons

A) We want to go 26/27th Dec for 1 week
B) We are keen ballroom dancers
C) We eat a lot
D) We would like some entertainment for DD (who will be 8)

What does Mumsnet think about these reasons and the suggestion of a cruise to meet them.....

I'm not sure

BYW - we are thinking about the Canaries

biglips Mon 10-Jan-05 19:53:47

cruise is good for you as it got all the things that you described. we went on a cruise for the first time last year and the cruise is very mixed ans also the ages too. the kids had got a activity day by day rooms and they can be there all day if they wanted to. plus you can eat much as you want on the cruise.. all you need to pay for is the drinks

biglips Mon 10-Jan-05 19:55:08

and we went around the canaries too for 11 nites. we are planning to go to caribbean cruise

flatmouse Mon 10-Jan-05 20:13:41

I've only cruised BC but have a colleague who went with a slightly younger one (and had a fab time) - we did a week round the Med.
Think it's excellent and if you pick the right ship there will be activities - but i guess you need to check if OK for your DD to eat (formal)dinner with you etc. Don't remember seeing any "youngsters" around in the evenings.

KateandtheGirls Mon 10-Jan-05 20:19:56

Definitely! And there are usually lots of kids around, even on formal nights.

The girls and I, along with my sister, are sailing from New York to Southampton next summer on the QM2 (combining a holiday with transportation) and I can't wait!

KatieMac Mon 10-Jan-05 21:04:33

So it seems quite good.....any more thoughts?

Who do I book with?
What is reasonable to pay?
What do I take to wear?

juniperdewdrop Mon 10-Jan-05 21:21:39

Oooo no real thoughts about your cruise but we're all going on one in July We're going on an Ocean village one though. It's for people who don't want to get dressed up but can if they want to iykwim?

IMO it sounds the perfect thing for you all. Lucky you being able to dance Have you entered competitions before?

KatieMac Mon 10-Jan-05 21:25:54

Yes three

1st one we came 3rd
2nd one we came 2nd
3rd one we came ........ 1st

Then DH turned proffessional....so I can't compete with him (as I'm amateur)

Who did you book your cruise with?

miggy Mon 10-Jan-05 21:39:37

I researched this a lot b4 xmas as booked my parents a cruise as suprise golden wedding present-they are there now-hopefully enjoying it!
Before researching I couldnt think of anything worse than being stuck on a ship with my kids BUT have been completely converted. Some of the ships are huge and have great looking kids stuff-playrooms/pools/climbing walls/activities. Some have family rooms for up to 5.
Seem to vary a lot though, someone lines being more child friendly.
There is a good site called www.cruisereview.com (and also www.cruisecritic.com) with reviews of all the ships.
DH really cross now as has been persauding me for years to do a cruise and I have always said no-Ooops!

KatieMac Mon 10-Jan-05 22:06:12

Thanks Miggy - I'm enjoying reading them - but they are very American.....I'm translating as we speak

KateandtheGirls Mon 10-Jan-05 22:38:05

KatieMac, let me know if you need any help with the translation!

biglips Tue 11-Jan-05 09:53:45

i went with P&O cruises - they have some good bargains - we got ours on the teletext on itv and the bargains are really mental..

i would go again as i was 6 months preg when i went on the first cruise and it was the most relaxing holiday ive ever been on as on land you need to worry about finding a restaurant/ bars/ night clubs/ theatre/pool... etc but on the boat everything is there on your lap ! you get served on everything !! - i hated it when i came home and had to cook the tea

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 11-Jan-05 10:04:48

We went on one to the carribean and it was AMAZING! Not only will you get what your after with the dancing, entertainment etc but the things you get to do are brilliant! I learnt so much by going and got to see so many differnt places. If we could afford it we would go every year.

KatieMac Tue 11-Jan-05 19:00:00

Thanks K&TG - but I'm getting there.....

Interesting reading everyone (esp Biglips) I want one....I want one....but I'm having trouble booking .....

No cabins for 3 on my dates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now