Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been on the Venice Simplon Orient Express?

(12 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 09-Jan-05 17:04:27

Thinking about it for my 40th, but as it's not cheap, would like to know if its worth it.

moondog Sun 09-Jan-05 17:06:02

Puff are youn posing!?
Hope someone comes up with all the luxorious details so that I can experience them vicariously!

moondog Sun 09-Jan-05 17:06:40

Hope my spelling improves at the same time..

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 09-Jan-05 17:08:53

lol moondog .

This would be a RARE treat, believe me! But I do want a little taste of luxury on my 40th .

We could probably stretch to the day trip from Venice to Rome. The other options are astronomical!

moondog Sun 09-Jan-05 17:18:22

Sounds lovely!!!!!
Hope someone pops up for you!

bluesky Sun 09-Jan-05 19:03:36

Puff, I have done the UK lunch trip and it is very luxurious, the interiors are beautiful and really take you back in time, and a great excuse to dress up nicely! Food was delicious, but for all it's splendour it is a train, you whizz past everything really quickly just like a UK train ride and you are eating/sitting in train dimension sitting area, if you see what I mean!

But yes, I would go again, I would love to sleep on it, just to have a little man prepare my cabin into a little berth, dress up for dinner and hear the piano tinkling away in the distance ......

Great 40th idea, as it is a real treat and you will always remember it.

PuffTheMagicDragon Sun 09-Jan-05 20:26:42

Thanks for that info bluesky .

I would love to sleep on it too, but its soooo expensive!

Hausfrau Sun 09-Jan-05 20:46:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bluesky Mon 10-Jan-05 09:21:29

I agree Hausfrau, it's not full of posh rich people, the majority are people there to celebrate an occassion, or have won an incentive or have saved and saved, so everyone is enjoying it having a WOW time.

PuffTheMagicDragon Mon 10-Jan-05 09:24:17

I'm glad to hear that bluesky and hausefrau - I'd like it to be relaxing. I'd be rather stressed out if someone incredibly posh was asking lots of questions while I was trying to eat my lunch and enjoy the views!

LunarSea Mon 10-Jan-05 10:44:06

We bought a trip on it for dh's parents' for their Golden Wedding anniversary. Sounds like they thoroughly enjoyed it (though they didn't know how much it had cost us of course!).

chocfreeclary Mon 10-Jan-05 10:57:02

I went on it for a dinner trip in the UK, as bluesky says, it is very luxurious, lovely food, service etc.
I was working (interviewing people up and down the train) so didn't enjoy it as much as I might have.
Others on train were, yes, regular people doing it for birthday, anniversary etc.
Would be lovely to go into venice by train (any train really) as that is "the classic" way to do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now