Talk

Advanced search

uk family holiday, near beach in june

(23 Posts)
bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 13:21:16

any suggestions not too far from london, nice cottage or hotel and not too far from london, ds will be about 1.5

suzywong Sun 09-Jan-05 13:23:39

lyme regis, weymouth, swanage

RTKangaMummy Sun 09-Jan-05 13:32:39

isle of wight

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:33:51

Bottle, do you mind travelling far from London?

Is Devon too far?

bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 13:40:49

kate no, but just thinking of car journey anywhere particular?

JanH Sun 09-Jan-05 13:42:57

Frinton is supposed to be lovely for families - the land that time forgot!

KateandtheGirls Sun 09-Jan-05 13:54:19

We stayed in Hope Cove, near Salcombe, in South Devon last June and it was lovely. Beautiful beaches. We were lucky that the weather was fantastic that week though.

WestCountryLass Sun 09-Jan-05 13:58:31

http://www.lulworthbeachhotel.com/

grumpyfrumpy Sun 09-Jan-05 14:35:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lou33 Sun 09-Jan-05 16:40:13

frinton is the land that time forgot.

west wittering is lovely, the best beach within striking distance of london i think.

NameChangingMancMidlander Sun 09-Jan-05 16:41:09

Woolacombe, Devon. Gorgeous beach.

JanH Sun 09-Jan-05 17:15:34

Ohhh, the Witterings - I think there have been Wittering threads on here before - I would like to live there, just because it's called Wittering, would suit me down to the ground, (quite apart from the lovely beach!)

emmaTooMuchGrub Sun 09-Jan-05 17:18:05

Agrre with Kanga.....Defo Isle of wight.

Wittering are nice too though, used to go there for a big family day out, about 20 of us. excellent fun.

bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 18:12:08

thanks everyone used to go to the witterings as a child as it was a fairly short drive and loved it, like the idea of isle of wight as remember Bembridge, also devon know well and lulworth cove brings back thomas hardy et al and not even sure where frinton is but gives me something to work on,

bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 18:12:11

thanks everyone used to go to the witterings as a child as it was a fairly short drive and loved it, like the idea of isle of wight as remember Bembridge, also devon know well and lulworth cove brings back thomas hardy et al and not even sure where frinton is but gives me something to work on,

emmaTooMuchGrub Sun 09-Jan-05 18:16:57

bottle, bembrigde is wher we satyed last year and will be again this year,

Can I just say although lulworth cove is lovely my MIL lives just a few miles away so I suspect a chill wind will constantly blow so her blood doesn't warm too much. It would make her human afterall and she is far from it....a witch probably. Steer clear my friend, steer clear.

bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 18:36:39

emmatg can you recommend anywhere in bembridge the more i think about it the isle of wight makes a lot of sense, my family used to sail and so know cowes, yarmouth and caribrooke castle and the journey is easy
do people think that hotel or s/c is better with a one a half year old - want to relax as much as poss

hoxtonchick Sun 09-Jan-05 18:39:46

we went to woolacombe bay last year with the inlaws (3 kids & 8 adults in all). we rented bungalows which were part of the woolacombe bay hotel and had a lovely time. took a pretty long time to get there from east london though.

lou33 Sun 09-Jan-05 18:49:16

frinton is ne essex. Near clacton and walton

emmaTooMuchGrub Sun 09-Jan-05 18:51:36

we've always done S/C as our kids just wouldn't eat in a hotel and would cause havoc for all the other guest.

We've stayed a few times at Whitecliff bay holiday park, which TBH is cheesy to say the least. You know, evening entertainment starts with Bingo and ends with a caboret with all sort in between. It is naff but the kids LOVE it and it is very close to the beach (whitecliff bay) which is pretty much a private beach for that park and the one next door (sand hills I think.....we are staying in this one, private caravan thru DH's work so alot cheaper). Sandown is about 10 minutes away, as you know.

I LOVE the isle of wight and can imagine us going there year after year. Plus the ferry in itself is an adventure for the kids. We took DS1 when he was about 18 months and we all had a great time.

That chill wind at Lulworth put you off then

bottle Sun 09-Jan-05 20:54:13

well it did rather, i have the same problem re east anglia

RTKangaMummy Mon 10-Jan-05 16:20:04

I would go S/C too

but the places we have stayed not really suitable for 1 year old

steep stairs etc.

when DS was 1 we went there but those cottages have been sold off now

Is child 1 now or will be 1 in summer?

RTKangaMummy Mon 10-Jan-05 16:20:59

sorry silly me you said 1½ in first post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now